• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm going to make a SWAG here... Sheriff Jenkins in unquestionably a friend to the MD 2A community. If he's asking for this vehicle, it probably doesn't have a damn thing to do with coming after law abiding gun owners and is probably based on trying to keep his deputies safe in dangerous situations. Just a hunch.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Not true, a bake sale does not pay for fire engines, nor does a car wash. Or oxygen tanks or jaws of life ect ect. Most fire departments in MD are county owned so where do you think the money comes from? How much do you think they actually make from fund raisers? If you think they pay for equipment from spaghetti dinners your wrong.

"While Frederick County funds a portion of the operating expenses of the departments, many of the capital expenditures such as the building and maintaining the stations and purchasing and maintaining the apparatus are financed through fundraising activities."

I know where the money comes from. I have the financials at home. If you think the County is paying for everything like they do for the FCSO, you're wrong.

I know for a fact that our brush truck was built in 1968. Guess what? Our Volunteer company just sold land to build a new station. When's the last time the FCSO did that? How many Dodge Diplomats is your department still running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Not all agencies need everything available... Do you really think that if FCSO a higher authority may appear?
    Most times waiting for additional equipment escalates the situation or provides time for the BG to sober up.
    The Transit system has machine guns.. Who are they gonna shoot? Passengers...maybe a bad guy...
    Some of this equipment crap is out of hand.

Attachments

• MTPD%20K-9%20Event%20011905%20042.jpg
      MTPD%20K-9%20Event%20011905%20042.jpg
      69 KB · Views: 326
    • MTPD%20SRT%20Officers%20110607%20130.jpg
      MTPD%20SRT%20Officers%20110607%20130.jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 334
    • MTPD%20Panama%20SRT%20041813-579%20(15).jpg
      MTPD%20Panama%20SRT%20041813-579%20(15).jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 310

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Not true, a bake sale does not pay for fire engines, nor does a car wash. Or oxygen tanks or jaws of life ect ect. Most fire departments in MD are county owned so where do you think the money comes from? How much do you think they actually make from fund raisers? If you think they pay for equipment from spaghetti dinners your wrong.

All FD's in MD are non-profit corporations, as required by MD law. They get some support by the counties, but not as much as you might think. Why do you think they are all volunteer FD's in MD?

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Basically it just boils down to police hatred. People don't hate the firemen and ask them why they need vehicles and more self contained breathing apparatus. Or expensive tools to rip down building and and break open vehicles. But we have a debate about providing cops cover from incoming fire. Squad cars are not cover. Bullets pass through them like butter. Level 2 and 3a body armor provide no protection from any rifle fire or knives. the deputies out there are real people with families and lives, why should they be treated like bullet sponges? Oh........it's because they are government agents, not people.

Jesus, a little heavy on the drama aren't we? Calling Frederick County deputies 'bullet sponges' is the height of histrionics.

Apparently (and surprisingly) the only Frederick County deputy to die by gunfire in the line of duty occurred in 1929 (according to a couple of quick Google searches). This was a prohibition era still raid in the Catoctins.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    So.... as a resident of FredCo..... and without knowing all the particulars, but having some experience regarding govt budgets.... The Sheriff has an annual budget for x dollars, hopefully the same amount as last year.. definitely not more then the previous year. He figures, that at this point in time, he can afford it with his budget.... as long as it doesn't take from the road officers safety..... who cares.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    From nearby (and more rural) Washington County- courtesy of the Heral Mail:
    Hagerstown Police Chief Mark Holtzman and Washington County Sheriff Douglas Mullendore said the Washington County Special Response Team has an armored vehicle that is deployed in serious situations, such as the one on Dec. 19, 2007, when Smithsburg resident Douglas W. Pryor fatally stabbed his former girlfriend, Alison Munson, 31, then shot and killed 25-year-old Smithsburg Police Officer Christopher Shane Nicholson.
    The Special Response Team responded with the armored vehicle — a civilian-made Lenco Bearcat — to take Pryor into custody, but not before the vehicle took two shotgun blasts, one to a side passenger's window where a police officer was sitting.
    "If we didn't have that during the Pryor incident, we would have had some officers killed," Mullendore said.

I would bet that these guys were grateful for having an armored vehicle-
    tyler_TX.jpg

That will buff right out! :innocent0
    Personally, I would want a tank! :D
    I remember the guy who took an M60A1 for a joy ride in California. Did a lot of damage but, didn't work out too well for him when he hung it up on the barrier wall.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I always assumed Fire Department fundraisers, and dinners were because the Chief wanted more chrome on an apparatus, or more LED lights.

Just kidding. :thumbsup:

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Jesus, a little heavy on the drama aren't we? Calling Frederick County deputies 'bullet sponges' is the height of histrionics.

Apparently (and surprisingly) the only Frederick County deputy to die by gunfire in the line of duty occurred in 1929 (according to a couple of quick Google searches). This was a prohibition era still raid in the Catoctins.

I'll never be one to objective when it comes to safety of first responders. Sorry.

Brikhaus

Jun 7, 2013
    Western Marylandistan
    I believe that there are federal grants for purchases such as armored cars, personal body armor, etc. I wonder if Sheriff Jenkins applied for some of that money to take some of the cost off of the shoulders of his constituents?

I would bet that the current armored vehicle does not provide athe same level of protection, nor the mobility, of the Bearcat. It looks like a bank truck mated with the Pope mobile.

Courtesy of their Facebook page:
    44854_121293497923269_5189147_n.jpg

Last edited:

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I believe that there are federal grants for purchases such as armored cars, personal body armor, etc. I wonder if Sheriff Jenkins applied for some of that money to take some of the cost off of the shoulders of his constituents?

I would bet that the current armored vehicle does not provide athe same level of protection, nor the mobility, of the Bearcat. It looks like a bank truck mated with the Pope mobile.

Courtesy of their Facebook page:
    44854_121293497923269_5189147_n.jpg

Look at thev rays of sunlight behind it, lol

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Not all agencies need everything available... Do you really think that if FCSO a higher authority may appear?
    Most times waiting for additional equipment escalates the situation or provides time for the BG to sober up.
    The Transit system has machine guns.. Who are they gonna shoot? Passengers...maybe a bad guy...
    Some of this equipment crap is out of hand.

Sure is out of hand, that transit cop has a 50 year old machinegun for Christ's sake, let's get him a newer one!

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I think the Bearcats are made in Massachusetts as I saw several of them parked in a lot with (ironically..) protective plastic sheeting over some body panels, and plastic seat covers, etc.. Some of them have battering rams, and turrets on their roofs - didn't see any cannons or hellfire launchers anywhere... :)

It sorta reminded me of the baddest armored and armed vehicle you could buy with drug money in the video game Scarface - just a brutal looking truck that screams "Don't F*ck with us." , which is probably by design.

The ones I saw made regular armored bank type cars you see picking up money at banks, McD's and brothels look like toys.

They must cost a fortune. No way a bake sale is gonna pay for those - that money is coming from the evil rich, not so evil rich, and the working and taxpaying poor... Pretty much all of us! :lol:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well, something like the Marauder is only about half a mil - chump change for a bake sale. ;)

Marauder.jpg

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'm going to make a SWAG here... Sheriff Jenkins in unquestionably a friend to the MD 2A community. If he's asking for this vehicle, it probably doesn't have a damn thing to do with coming after law abiding gun owners and is probably based on trying to keep his deputies safe in dangerous situations. Just a hunch.

No you don't understand. It's a secret plot by the Illuminati in the UN to take away our rights. Let me explain.

If you draw a line on a map from Frederick, to Area 51 at Nellis "Air Force" (read that alien reptilian overlords!) Base where they keep the dead space newts, then over to Stonehenge where ancient extinct people like Druids and heterosexual Frenchmen communed with the stars, then another line back to Frederick, do you know what you get? A triangle! And not just any triangle, but a three-sided one at that.

Now, what does a triangle mean the poor deluded sheeple ask? Well as we all know, a triangle was used by the Egyptians when they designed their pyramids. And the pyramids hold dead mummies, just like Area 51 holds the dead space newts at the behest of the Reptilian Overlords. And since as everyone knows, the ancient Egyptians were all muslims (just like, ahem, a certain somebody in Washington DC), this is clear evidence that there is a muslim plot in Frederick to build pyramids for the space newts. And what do you need to build pyramids? Well, armored trucks of course.

There, if that doesn't tie it together for you guys, I can't make it any simpler.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    So you think your "friends" should go to a barricade without adequate protection? Most of the incidents that police utilize these vehicles and equipment are not on TV or covered by the media. Not all agencies are focused on media attention. most barricades end well, because there are no officer available for the suspect to shoot because they are protected by the armored vehicle.

Where is the data that says most barricades end well because officers can't be shot in armored vehicles? I don't have to guess to say historically most barricades ended well and for the vast number of decades no local law enforcement had armored vehicles.

And who decides what is "adequate" protection? In a sane world, the people paying the damn bills. No I don't think my friends shouldn't have adequate protection and armored vehicles exceed adequacy in my opinion. I'm not arguing that it may not in the right circumstance save lives. I'm arguing the likelihood of that vs the cost. You have to find a reasonable balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom