• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I scored an old but serviceable 14’ jon boat on Craigslist. I sanded and scraped it down. Cleaned and degreased it and painted it all with metal primer. I want to put the finish coat on (that flat jon boat green color) but don’t know what kind of paint and where I can buy it locally. Boat will only be used on fresh water. I've seen the Parker duck boat paint online but with shipping it’s close to a third of what I paid for the whole boat. Likewise I'm concerned that if I go the spray can route it will take a dozen cans.
    Anybody with any paint experience and suggestions?

Edit: darn it I thought I posted this in Outdoors!

DaceNemo

Small fish. Big pond.
    Mar 17, 2013
    Baltimore
    Latex is no good. Oil base would be better. First time it gets a scratch the latex will start to peel off easy after being in water...u can wash latex paint off of your hands with water. There may be boat paint I don't know but if you're putting something in water and want to paint it with 2 options latex or oil base always choose oil.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Latex.... I don't know what to tell you now. I would guess find some latex flat green or get out the power washer. And start over with boat paint. Look at the local surplus store / boat store / Duron Store. I would think the latex will peel after a few hours in the water. Good Luck

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    You want flat green?............. you might should have used zinc chromate or epoxy polimide primer..... it would have done it ALL right there.

Jon boat most likely fresh water only??? Both are good enough for aluminum aircraft it would be good enough for your application.

Maybe some of you tin benders can weigh in.

Looks like they make it for Marine use now! http://www.wholesalemarine.com/moel...paign=google&gclid=CM7st92K3bcCFWFp7AodFl8AyQ

Harlow%20N1998J%20tailcone%20interior%20fwd.jpg

moellerprimer_8.gif

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Zinc chromate is definitely the primer of choice for aluminum. But it is not durable enough to be used as a top coat, and must be coated over. Latex might get you a season or so, but don't expect it to last too long.

And like blackbart mentioned, epoxy is also a good choice but can be pricey.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    At this point since I have apparently screwed the pooch on the primer I'm just going cover it with some flat green spray paint and see what happens. Worst case I'll have to redo it next winter.
    I was reading an account on the internet of some guy whose boat was dragging. He thought he snagged a bunch of weeds but when he got it out of the water it turned out it was the paint on the bottom of his boat sheeting off.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Shouldn't this be in the Tom Sawyer section? OP, I would leave just the primer on and run it that way, it will come off easier. A top coat on a bad primer will make a much larger mess.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Not trying to be a smart ass, but your best source on information & best paint for the job is your nearest Boat / Marine Supply Store...

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    take a gallon of aircraft remover to that beeotch and start over! self etching primer,scuff it with a red scotch brite and mix top coat hardener in your top coat and put 3 coats on it. let each coat flash before you start on the next coat.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    It's aluminum. In fresh water. Any scratches/scrapes on the bottom will be exposed and oxidize: rust. This layer will prevent further oxidation in proximity to the scratch/scrape.

Steel is a whole 'nother critter.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    At this point since I have apparently screwed the pooch on the primer I'm just going cover it with some flat green spray paint and see what happens. Worst case I'll have to redo it next winter.
    I was reading an account on the internet of some guy whose boat was dragging. He thought he snagged a bunch of weeds but when he got it out of the water it turned out it was the paint on the bottom of his boat sheeting off.

It's not like you're needing "racing bronze" needs..... go with what ya got then get zinc chromate if it ever wears out. I bet it isn't even going to be sitting in the water or SALT water when not in use......... ???

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    It's not like you're needing "racing bronze" needs..... go with what ya got then get zinc chromate if it ever wears out. I bet it isn't even going to be sitting in the water or SALT water when not in use......... ???

Yeah- only in the water when we are up there. Otherwise upside down by the side of the cabin 340 or so other days of the year.

I'll post pics when I am done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom