• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    You always have to count on negotiating on those sites. Start around 25% off, and find a number you can both live with. Trades happen too. I traded an Icom IC-7300 for an Ameritron ALS-600. We both ended up happy.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I see a Yaesu 8900R Quad Band on QRZ this morning for $250 with the RT Logics programming software ( ~= $40. ). HRO has it new for $319.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I see a Yaesu 8900R Quad Band on QRZ this morning for $250 with the RT Logics programming software ( ~= $40. ). HRO has it new for $319.

That is strictly FM. 10m and 6m is basically useless. The FTM100 is on sale for 290 at HRO. If you want dual vfo with cross band, then get the 400.
    Plus you get c4fm on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Who said "all"? The FT-8900R has been in production for more than 18 years (and recently discontinued according to DXE, U-R, and Giga?), so how old is the one on QRZ? $250 might be a bargain, or it might be way too much based on age and condition. It's only a 20% discount off of new. If it fails within what would be the warranty period on a new rig, it's going to cost more to fix it than was saved.

My point is that buying used equipment with unknown history from unknown people is not always a bargain. Especially for new Hams if they get dud equipment, get frustrated, decide it's not worth the hassle and hang up the mic for good. And especially now when used equipment is holding it's value so well that is it often within spitting distance of new.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    And my point is that my first HF rig was used, and all but one more were used. Prices were about 80% of new equipment with one being $800 for a $1300 rig.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Who said "all"? The FT-8900R has been in production for more than 18 years (and recently discontinued according to DXE, U-R, and Giga?), so how old is the one on QRZ? $250 might be a bargain, or it might be way too much based on age and condition. It's only a 20% discount off of new. If it fails within what would be the warranty period on a new rig, it's going to cost more to fix it than was saved.

My point is that buying used equipment with unknown history from unknown people is not always a bargain. Especially for new Hams if they get dud equipment, get frustrated, decide it's not worth the hassle and hang up the mic for good. And especially now when used equipment is holding it's value so well that is it often within spitting distance of new.

I thought it was just my imagination before you brought it up, but I see things the same way as you. With stuff holding so much value, I agree, its not worth buying used on the open market. New hams are lucky if an Elmer passes something nice to them.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Yay! Just got a new roof on my house. No more leaks! :D

Boo! It's metal (not my call) and now my indoor antennas have gone deaf(er). :(

Guess I'm going to have to put up a couple of proper outdoor antennas and deal with grounding and lightning suppression.
    Maybe I can load the roof up on 20 meters. It's about a half wavelength! ;) (Yes, I know about loading the gutters as an inverted L. :) )

Or just stick to QRP on WSPR, FT8, and JS8Call on random wires thrown out the window. :D

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yaesu FTM-400XDR.

Dagnabbit, you did it to me. Just installed a shiny new one in the ol’ truck.

Nice to be able to pop a micro-SD card in and out to program it. Haven’t cracked the manual on any of the digital/beacon goodness yet. But liking it so far. Haven’t permanently mounted the control head, as I’m still thinking that through. Thanks! And, grrrr on my budget :)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Dagnabbit, you did it to me. Just installed a shiny new one in the ol’ truck.

Nice to be able to pop a micro-SD card in and out to program it. Haven’t cracked the manual on any of the digital/beacon goodness yet. But liking it so far. Haven’t permanently mounted the control head, as I’m still thinking that through. Thanks! And, grrrr on my budget :)

I like it a lot. I’ve tested the APRS function to send SMS messages from the radio to my wife’s cell and sent messages from my cell to the radio. I still want to try setting up cross-band repeater mode just so I know how.

My favorite part. I posted this video up thread.
    https://youtu.be/bhsBRqpqw2w

You might be able to hit the CARA Wires-X repeater from your house. 449.475 IIRC. It’s usually set to the AmericaLink room and Listen and rag chew often while driving.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My favorite part. I posted this video up thread.
    https://youtu.be/bhsBRqpqw2w

Hah! Very crafty. My old Suburban won't support James Bond installs, so I'll have to be a little less sexy. As in, mount it on the dash, and put a ball cap over it when entering dicey parking lots. No, really. I've always got a hat there anyway, right?

Actually, my photography hardware DNA is taking over. The rear screw on the control head is 1/4-20, which means I can use any variation on my many ball-head fixtures. Might get clever with a flange-mounted ball head that has a Manfrotto quick disconnect plate host, and screw a QD plate (normally seen on the bottom of a camera or long lens) to the back of the radio control head. That way it can be gracefully removed when I feel like it, and still be solid in use. We'll see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom