• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I ended up getting the Kenwood TM-281A radio last night. It's 2m single band, 65 watts. I figure it's a good starter radio and later I'll upgrade to something with more bands and then set this one up for solar power use. Now I need to find a good mobile 2m antenna.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I ended up getting the Kenwood TM-281A radio last night. It's 2m single band, 65 watts. I figure it's a good starter radio and later I'll upgrade to something with more bands and then set this one up for solar power use. Now I need to find a good mobile 2m antenna.

First, if you haven't already, you need to run wires to your battery.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    First, if you haven't already, you need to run wires to your battery.

I’m working on this problem too, and not sure which direction to go. Access to the firewall is extremely limited inside of the engine compartment.

Several forums talk about using a fuse block tap. My car has a bunch of unused fuse spaces for high amperage features like rear heated seats, which are not included with my model. It seems like I could just tap one of these sockets. From what I can tell the max current my radio will draw is about 15A when transmitting at 50 watts.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I've installed 2 Blue Sea Fuse blocks, each with 12 fuses, in my FJ. One is under the dash and the other is in the rear, in a compartment above the wheel well that holds the jack. They each have 4 awg wire from the battery and each have a 100 amp marine grade circuit breaker at the battery connection. The front one currently powers my offroad lighting and CB, the rear is my ARB air compressor and some USB and 12V outlets. Fishing the 2 4awg wires through the firewall was pretty easy. I just used a 2' long thin steel rod, taped the wires one at a time onto it, and shoved it through a pre-existing wire loom penetration with a rubber grommet around it on the driver side of the firewall.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    My Ford has an aux fuse block in the trunk area, which is mostly unpopulated. I tapped into that for trailer hitch wiring.

I have since located a part number for the crimps that they use for the individual circuit wiring. If I add anything in the future, I can add new dedicated circuits and fuses directly.

Attachments

• IMGA0365.jpg
      IMGA0365.jpg
      104.4 KB · Views: 177

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One trick for antennas, to make them less obvious, is to paint them flat black.

For a simple, cheap, effective antenna, I like the "virus" antenna. It is a panel mount S) connector, and 5 pieces of welding rod or coat hanger. One to the center connector, one in each panel mount whole. Cut to length for band, and bend the 4 corner wires down at 45 degrees.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    2m has the most traffic but get a radio that will do 70cm as well. The radio I use in my truck is actually a Yaesu HT (ft-60). I have a mag mount antenna with a short sma adapter to go from the antenna bnc to the radio. When I need to get out of my truck I can simply unscrew the sma adapter and screw on a 1/4 wave whip and bam I can move on foot. I will probably get a permanent mobile mount eventually though and it will be a dual tuner 2m/70cm rig.

When I started, I ran a similar setup.

Yaesu FT-530 dual band HT, with mag mount antenna, external speaker mic, and a cigarette lighter cord.

Later upgraded to actual dual band mobile rigs, but the HT worked fine.

And my ex ran that setup for many years. I built a small kit amplifier to help in fringe areas.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    That sounds high.

15A at 12 volts is 180 watts of power.

Yup. I need to go back to my Amateur Study Guide. However I was thinking that was just going to install my fuse tap into that socket. The power cable from radio does have a fuse link built in.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have a question about mounting a VHF/UHF diamond antenna on my roof. I was talking to friend and he said I should check with my HOA first. I didn’t think it would be an issue but i did find a paragraph in the covenants which prohibit any TV, Radio or satellite antennas of any type.

However at least 1/4 of my neighbors have Direct TV dishes on their homes and that’s never been enforced. I also read about some FCC rules which prohibit HOA’s from restricting antennas for OTA TV broadcast.

So my question is this.....

If I put up a diamond dual band antenna could it be used for OTA HD TV signals? If they give me any grief, I can just tell them it’s a TV antenna and they can pound sand.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have a question about mounting a VHF/UHF diamond antenna on my roof. I was talking to friend and he said I should check with my HOA first. I didn’t think it would be an issue but i did find a paragraph in the covenants which prohibit any TV, Radio or satellite antennas of any type.

However at least 1/4 of my neighbors have Direct TV dishes on their homes and that’s never been enforced. I also read about some FCC rules which prohibit HOA’s from restricting antennas for OTA TV broadcast.

If I put up a diamond dual band antenna could it be used for OTA HD TV signals? If they give me any grief, I can just tell them it’s a TV antenna and they can pound sand.

I think I'd approach them about making an exception and pointing out the obvious non-enforcement, first. They may be aware that the ARRL and others have been pushing for a Federal law to force HOAs to make exceptions for Amateur radio.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I’m working on this problem too, and not sure which direction to go. Access to the firewall is extremely limited inside of the engine compartment.

Several forums talk about using a fuse block tap. My car has a bunch of unused fuse spaces for high amperage features like rear heated seats, which are not included with my model. It seems like I could just tap one of these sockets. From what I can tell the max current my radio will draw is about 15A when transmitting at 50 watts.

Have you done a search in forums for your brand of car and in Youtube for other people who've installed radios not just Amateur but CB and even high powered car stereos? I couldn't readily find a pass through in my firewall myself but finally found someone else who did it, even though it was on the opposite side of the firewall from the battery. And it was a totally unused grommet.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There was an FCC ruling that deals with ordinances against antennas.

OK, PRB-1

http://www.arrl.org/restrictive-antenna-ordinances

http://www.arrl.org/prb-1

PRB-1 has been codified in to Section 97.15 of the FCC regulations.

But it does not preempt covenants.

But I seem to recall something in the 90s about covenants and antennas, that was based on allowing TV dishes to prevent monopoly by cable companies. And many covenants had language that lumped all antennas as one, so the ruling allowed any antennas.

Here it is: https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

It does not cover amateur radio antennas, but if your covenants had a single statement preventing all antennas, then it is voided by this.

You can also install your antenna in your attic. I know many people that did this with 2m and 440 antennas back before these rulings.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo

Depending on where you put it, just put it up and make them tell you to take it down. Your biggest concern would be direct neighbors. If they complain, you may have to accommodate them. If it is installed not be a sore thumb, they may not even notice it.
    I live in an HOA and installed the x50 off my deck. The mast runs up the side of the deck from ground and appears above the deck above the base of the roof line. No one has said a thing in two years. I have an endfed long wire in the trees in my front yard for over a year. Again, nothing said. Do your best to blend in and reasonable people will not even notice. If necessary, tell them it is no different then all those dishes.
    Better to ask forgiveness then to beg permission.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dont ask, just put it up and be prepared to take it down quickly if told to do so by the hoa.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

That's what I'd do too. Honestly, a V/UHF antenna (if it's a mast), is so slimline, I doubt anyone notices.

If it's unidirectional, that's a different story, but even then, there are some designs that aren't that large.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    For those trying to hide from their HOAs...

70cm/2M at least.

Ok thats a great idea but it might look odd mounted on the side of my chimney.

I’ve really examined the scenery and sight lines around my house. My chimney is almost in the exact middle of my house and at the very back. From my calculations the peak of my main roof would block the view of antenna 40’ above the chimney when standing at the sidewalk. Moving further up my street a 10’ antenna might be visible at 300’ away. Only two neighbors would have a direct view from the back of their houses to the back of mine. I might just take my chances.

If they give me any crap I’ll just say: “Your rules are unfairly persecuting trans people. I’m trans person in the process of transitioning my transceiver from VHF to HF.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom