• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I was reading an affidavit for a search warrant and the officer put that he checked "Maryland M-Gun and found no firearms registered to [subject]" Never heard of M-Gun before. Anyone know what that is?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    M-Gun is the Maryland State Police info center for LE attempting to confirm firearm status, especially at traffic stops.

Especially at traffic stops?

How many traffic stops have you done? How many times have you seen this done? What percentage of traffic stops is MGUN checked? Is MGUN checked on every stop? I'm sure since this database is used especially at traffic stops it's in an agencies Rules and Regulations to be done and those rules and regulations are posted on-line. Have you read this policy by any agency?

MGUN is MSP's registered firearm database...refereed to FS00 or Maryland Firearms Registry.

Regulated firearms in the state that are legally transferred would in theory be in this database. To my knowledge the system doesn't account for firearms that are sold, stolen, destroyed, or by any other means no longer in possession of the initial or second buyer. Furthermore MSP classified some firearms as "regulated" only to flip on that. So some folks might have "registered" firearms in their name that were sold legally FTF but not taken out of the "system".

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It's a feature in MILES which will bring up pretty much everything the state has gun records on for a person. Handguns registered, wear carry permits, machine gun registrations, etc.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    It's a feature in MILES which will bring up pretty much everything the state has gun records on for a person. Handguns registered, wear carry permits, machine gun registrations, etc.

Is there a way for a citizen to verify (for accuracy purposes) what the state has on record?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Is there a way for a citizen to verify (for accuracy purposes) what the state has on record?

You might be able to get a barracks to provide a list if you produce an ID. Any transfer which required you to do MD paperwork should be assumed to be in the database.

As another poster said, firearms are never REMOVED from your record. Even if MSP has a record of a subsequent transfer to another individual. There is no mechanism to "update" the database.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    MGUN is the former name of a database. Sometimes officers still use that acronym. It is now called MAFSS or the Maryland Automated Firearms Services System. I do not believe that it holds any information other than regulated firearm sales and transfers. Wear and carry permits should not be in MAFSS. All Maryland law enforcement has access to this database. Since the MSP went electronic with the 77R, I am not sure if this old data was migrated into the new system. And I doubt that the new data will be entered into MAFSS. Only your personal information is available to you. You can not pia request the specific data of another individual. How is it available on a traffic stop? A specific query must be conducted. Meaning you either ask the dispatcher to run the query or you run it from an in car computer. It would be rare for an officer to make such and inquiry for every traffic stop. It is too time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    MGUN is the former name of a database. Sometimes officers still use that acronym. It is now called MAFSS or the Maryland Automated Firearms Services System. I do not believe that it holds any information other than regulated firearm sales and transfers. Wear and carry permits should not be in MAFSS. All Maryland law enforcement has access to this database. Since the MSP went electronic with the 77R, I am not sure if this old data was migrated into the new system. And I doubt that the new data will be entered into MAFSS. Only your personal information is available to you. You can not pia request the specific data of another individual. How is it available on a traffic stop? A specific query must be conducted. Meaning you either ask the dispatcher to run the query or you run it from an in car computer. It would be rare for an officer to make such and inquiry for every traffic stop. It is too time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom