• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I've bought a 5.56 upper for general range use and was wondering about the quality of TulAmmo rounds. I've been looking at TulAmmo TA223550 rounds that run $4.99/20. Seems like the cheapest option out there, but I'd like some input before ordering 1000 rounds.

I've seen mixed reviews, some FTF, bad primers, metal shavings stuck in the cartridges, etc. That said, $0.25/rnd is pretty good. Does anyone have experience with TulAmmo? I just don't want to drop a wad of cash and be severely disappointed.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I've used it with no problems. Not the most accurate but decent plinking ammo. I've switched between it and brass with no problems.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I've used it with no problems. Not the most accurate but decent plinking ammo. I've switched between it and brass with no problems.

Been my experience as well, not had any functional issues but ran no more than 100 in a range trip at a time. There was a big test done where they blasted away for 1,000s of rounds. But I don't heat mine up that much.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Alright then. Seems like it'll fit the bill for range time. Don't plan on using it for hunting or HD, so all I want is reliable, fun ammo. If I don't see any dissenting opinions soon, I'll make my order.

Thanks everyone!

Lucky gunner did a cool torture test conparing Federal brass to Brown Bear, Wolf, and Tula steel cased 223.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

The thing I found most interesting was the effect of the bi-metal jacketting prematurely wearing out the barrel compared to the all copper clad Federal rounds. Its a trade off of spending more for ammo or using the savings of steel to potentially having to buy a new barrel sooner.

Bottom line, I run Tula in my Mini 14 all the time. Since I overpaid for my AR during the panic I choose to only run copper clad brass cased rounds through it.

The only problem Ive ever had with Tula was on one outing where I got casings stuck after firing which Ive chalked up to me not getting the gun as clean as it should have been. Otherwise its been great blaster ammo for the range.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Lucky gunner did a cool torture test conparing Federal brass to Brown Bear, Wolf, and Tula steel cased 223.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

The thing I found most interesting was the effect of the bi-metal jacketting prematurely wearing out the barrel compared to the all copper clad Federal rounds. Its a trade off of spending more for ammo or using the savings of steel to potentially having to buy a new barrel sooner.

Bottom line, I run Tula in my Mini 14 all the time. Since I overpaid for my AR during the panic I choose to only run copper clad brass cased rounds through it.

The only problem Ive ever had with Tula was on one outing where I got casings stuck after firing which Ive chalked up to me not getting the gun as clean as it should have been. Otherwise its been great blaster ammo for the range.

So what you're saying is, if one has a cheap (not bad, but cheap) barrel, using TulAmmo makes sense. You wouldn't advise using it in a high end/expensive build?

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    It is the least accurate of any ammo that I have used in my AR. This may not be important to you, but it was not accurate for me beyond 50 yards. At fifty, I figure it's on me to be on target, beyond that it is a combination of my ability and the ability of the ammo. Using it at 100, 150, and 200, it was not accurate.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I've have no problems using it in my ar's. My ak eats it up all day long. The only issue I had was using it in my plr-16. The extractor would rip the rim of the shell off every shot so every round would get stuck in there. Had to break it down and use a dow rod to knock the shell out. Took 3 times doing that and I quite using it for that gun.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Some ranges do magnet tests, so you can't shoot it at every range you go to. Most outdoor ranges don't care, but if you shoot indoors, too, they're going to say no.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I bought two 500-round boxes of Tula 5.56 a couple of years ago, super cheap (less than $3 for 20 rounds) at Walmart. Just happened to be sitting on the floor next to the register. Asked the man how much, he scanned it, told me, I told him ring me up. It shoots great, is a bit dirtier, no issues in Mini's or AR's. Nice to have on hand for mass Zombie strike.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I buy it all the time and works great. No issues at all.

My take on it is for plinking/practice it is great. If you are looking for accuracy you would consider other options. I am also a firm believer that my guns should be able to handle all ammunition. If it can't then it is trash and can't be trusted.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Only issue is that most ranges do not let you shoot it (indoors).

The wear on the barrel is a concern. But here is my take. Let's say you have a $200 barrel. The cost difference is usually about $.10 a round. So, in shooting 2000 rounds of this ammo, you will have saved $200 bucks, enough to buy a new barrel. Obviously the barrel is good for more than 2000 rounds. So lets say, 10,000 on average. You would have saved $1,000 bucks, so when you get to that road, you can just buy a new barrel or a whole rifle, etc.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Only issue is that most ranges do not let you shoot it (indoors).

The wear on the barrel is a concern. But here is my take. Let's say you have a $200 barrel. The cost difference is usually about $.10 a round. So, in shooting 2000 rounds of this ammo, you will have saved $200 bucks, enough to buy a new barrel. Obviously the barrel is good for more than 2000 rounds. So lets say, 10,000 on average. You would have saved $1,000 bucks, so when you get to that road, you can just buy a new barrel or a whole rifle, etc.

I mostly shoot outdoors, so I'm not too concerned about the indoor range issue.

I saw the Lucky Gunner article discussing barrel wear and TulAmmo (as well as other Russian ammo) did do substantially greater damage. But then again, I have <$600 in my completed AR, so if I have to get a new barrel in a few years, no big deal.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    About two years ago...I had a squib load {primer detonated but powder failed to ignite}, with a bullet stuck in the first lands of the rifling --- using a TulAmmo 7.62x39 in one of my AK's. The gunpowder was clumpy looking.

That incident turned me off to TulAmmo some --- including --- you can't use bi-metal jacketed bullets on steel targets at AGC --- which is a big cash downer for me.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I haven't used a ton of it, probably only a couple hundred rounds, but it's been fine for range use.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I personally have issues with ejection and FTF with my AR with it, but I'm running a rifle length 20" bushmaster upper. now 5.56 or PMC brass .223 no issues with FTF.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    So what you're saying is, if one has a cheap (not bad, but cheap) barrel, using TulAmmo makes sense. You wouldn't advise using it in a high end/expensive build?

This... I would never put steel cased ammo though my shilen barrel or even my WOA barrels. I've put steel cased ammo though my chrome lined M&P with no problems. Now I can reload for less than $0.25/round with really cheap 55 grain pills so it's a non issue anymore. I don't shoot steel ammo now that I reload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom