• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I heard a rumor someone was offering late night armored Car tours of Bmore, for thrill seeking couples.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My vote is for Gettysburg. There are a couple good local breweries. You could do one of those driving auto tours and go to the visitors center. It's nice to walk downtown there and grab an ice cream. Won't cost an arm and a leg and you'll be back before dinner.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Lots of great suggestions. Some of which we’ve done before.

My wife is interested in maybe going to one of the wineries in western md. I’ve never been to one before and I like the hill country so this might be our first choice.

St. Michael’s is in the running too. Lived my whole life in MD and it’s one notable place that I’ve also never gone.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    St Michaels is a beautiful little town. If you like seafood, it makes it even better. Quaint, clean and laid back. Nice hotels, nice restaurants and little shops.

CelticBiggie

Mar 26, 2016
    The historic scenic train rides out of cumberland have been on my list for a while. havent done them yet.

CelticBiggie

Mar 26, 2016
    Another one that was pretty cool. Smyth island tour. Nice ferry ride, rent a golf cart and explore a sinking island. Eat lunch and a smith island cake(state desert).

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The historic scenic train rides out of cumberland have been on my list for a while. havent done them yet.

Don't know if you are into cycling, but on the Cumberland to Frostburg scenic train they will take your bicycles in a baggage car on the trip up to Frostburg, then you can ride the Great Alleghany Passage (GAP) trail that runs beside the train tracks back to Cumberland.

The GAP is a rail trail that connects with the end of the C&O Canal trail in Cumberland and goes to Three Rivers Park in Pittsburgh, PA. Yes, many people use both trails to through ride from DC to Pittsburgh, PA or vice versa.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Ouch! Never had a problem there, but it's been a while. Good to know. Recent?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No, I should have mentioned that it was 20 years ago. I suppose it’s not fair to say don’t go but I still remember how awful I felt 2 hours after eating there.
    Maybe it’s ok now, don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    how far are you interested in driving? For a day trip, I assume its just out and back, so you sleep at home. If you are willing to stay one night overnight, you can extend your mini vacation area quite a bit. we don't like to drive more than 2-4 hours before getting out and seeing or doing something, even if its just a restaurant.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Lots of great suggestions. Some of which we’ve done before.

My wife is interested in maybe going to one of the wineries in western md. I’ve never been to one before and I like the hill country so this might be our first choice.

St. Michael’s is in the running too. Lived my whole life in MD and it’s one notable place that I’ve also never gone.

A couple of years ago Val and I were doing this wine trail thing. This link looks like it is mostly about PA locations but plenty of wineries in MD too. We always liked Basignani Winery
    Address: 15722 Falls Rd, Sparks Glencoe, MD 21152
    Hours: Closed [FONT=&quot]⋅[/FONT] Opens 11:30AM Wed
    Phone: (410) 472-0703

Just google MD wineries from more locations.

Mason-Dixon Wine Trail

https://visitpa.com/pa-wineries/mason-dixon-wine-trail

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    The town of North East is nice for a day trip. It's really nice up at the top of the bay with some restaurants that are on the water. They have a really nice community park right next to the Naughty Goose restaurant and bar. The MD Chevelle club has the annual event there on June 29th and 30th. Elk Neck State Park is also right down the road.

http://www.nautigoose.net/home

CelticBiggie

Mar 26, 2016
    Don't know if you are into cycling, but on the Cumberland to Frostburg scenic train they will take your bicycles in a baggage car on the trip up to Frostburg, then you can ride the Great Alleghany Passage (GAP) trail that runs beside the train tracks back to Cumberland.

The GAP is a rail trail that connects with the end of the C&O Canal trail in Cumberland and goes to Three Rivers Park in Pittsburgh, PA. Yes, many people use both trails to through ride from DC to Pittsburgh, PA or vice versa.

I am way out of shape and the wife has chronic pain. Sadly I have to plan things she is able to do as even sanding for long periods can make her miserable. Me I can walk just about any distance, but biking aint in my cards either.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    For those of you that mentioned Falling Water. We’ve been there probably 20yrs ago. I studied it quite a bit in college. We did the small group tour which I think they only do on weekdays. It was well worth the extra time and money. I would do it again for sure.

For those of you that are a bit unfamiliar with some of the back story on the house apparently Mr Kaufman the owner was very concerned that the cantilevered main deck was too long and insisted that Frank Lloyd Wright add a support pillar. He refused. Later during construction he noticed the builder had added this extra column per direct contact with Mr Kaufman. He was enraged and had the workers remove it. I guess he was right, it’s still standing after 100yrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom