• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGunStop

Feb 26, 2007
    Hello, I am new here, never knew this website existed. Anyways I am still new to the firearms scene, I started off last year with a Yugo SKS and now I am picking up a XD-9 pistol next week. I am looking for some people to get together with to learn about firearms and to have some fun.
    If anyone wants to get together let me know, I really want to learn a lot more plus I think there are members here that know of ranges and shops that I do not know of. I am familiar with the marriotsville range, and ontarget.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Welcome Jabba,

We use On Target quite frequently, and about quarterly we organize some informal get-togethers at area ranges. It's a great chance to meet other shooters and try out different guns.

Check in here often as plans for the next get-together are in the works

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Im out here in Washington county. My wife and I own 90 acres in Preston county Wva. (near Morgantown). We try to go camping up there once a month or so. We usually take up the 4 wheelers, a few friends. Oh yeah, and a few "evil" weapons. send me a pm sometime if your interested in comming up sometime.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Im out here in Washington county. My wife and I own 90 acres in Preston county Wva. (near Morgantown). We try to go camping up there once a month or so. We usually take up the 4 wheelers, a few friends. Oh yeah, and a few "evil" weapons. send me a pm sometime if your interested in comming up sometime.

dang....90 acres. I have 11 acres down below Greenbrier County and it took every penny I had to get that!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hmmm, what are the laws about Tannerite in Pennsylvania? I bought a case of the stuff, but as soon as I combine the components I may be breaking MD law so I have yet to use any.
    I've been dying to set some off for well over a year now.

TheGunStop

Feb 26, 2007
    Welcome to the board.

What kind of ranges you looking for and how far are you willing to drive?

I am looking for a range where I can shoot my SKS and 9mm pistol. I am willing to drive 30 minutes to 1 hour

Welcome Jabba,

We use On Target quite frequently, and about quarterly we organize some informal get-togethers at area ranges. It's a great chance to meet other shooters and try out different guns.

Check in here often as plans for the next get-together are in the works

Is it me or does the cost of ontarget range cost a lot? Maybe if I get a membership...

Wow sounds nice

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    welcome jabba, yeah, ontarget can be expensive compared to the outdoor ranges, but think about where they are and how much it must cost them to operate the place.....

in ten visits i'd more than pay for a membership, for me its a choice between ontarget and Continental arms (pistol range in timonium, if u wanna go, i'll take u with me sometime, i'm in between baltimore and northern howard county on a daily basis for work and college). outdoor ranges include Hap Baker, but as they had a fire recently you are looking at a while before the rifle range opens up. elk neck will let you shoot the sks i think.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I am looking for a range where I can shoot my SKS and 9mm pistol. I am willing to drive 30 minutes to 1 hour

Is it me or does the cost of ontarget range cost a lot? Maybe if I get a membership...

Wow sounds nice

On Target is right around $200 a year for a family membership. Mine doesn't come until April so I don't exactly remember.

If you go a couple times a month it very quickly pays off to have the membership.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    MD Small Arms has no time limit on lane rental for the price they charge and so if you are going to shoot for over an hour is is a lot cheaper than On Target, but it is right at the hour drive point for you probably.

As for private clubs where you can fire both the SKS and the pistol, it would be a little expensive, but there is a range in Bowie called Berwyn Rod and Gun Club.

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    The Hap Baker range (public with on-site Range Officers, which is nice for new /novice shooters) in Westminster is one of the best deals around, even for “out-of-county” residents. Although the rifle range is closed due to the recent fire, the covered outdoor pistol range is open. I can supply details if you’re interested. A yearly membership (unlimited range time) for in-county residents is $40.

I belong to a local (Carroll County) private club. If you’re interested, I’d be happy to have you as a guest to shoot at our pistol or rifle (currently up to 300 yards) range.

I’m primarily a pistol shooter and could certainly acquaint you with the basics/different types. I recently purchased several long runs and hope to get to the range with them as soon as the weather improves.

Regarding local gun shops, although there are less now than a few years ago, there are some good places around. Have you been to Mt. Airy? Shooters Discount usually has something interesting on display.

Take care,
    Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom