• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I bent a thin piece of sheet metal to make a tool to hold the charging handle at 90 deg to the bolt for reassembly. I could not get the bolt to drop in place just by holding the charging handle as it would cant just enough to not line up with the slot in the bolt.

ironbag

Apr 6, 2018
    Gaithersburg
    Ugh, I’m dreading taking apart my 10/22 to clean it. I’ve had it for 4 years, and probably put 4000 rds through it, so it’s probably due for a cleaning.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Never mind the long-running gag from Ruger that is the tear-down and reassembly of a 10/22. How about the factory bolt release? THAT is the prank, and you get to experience it a lot more often than the tear-down mystery ride.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Supposedly the non-chlorinated version is better, although still nowhere near safe.

How about throttle body cleaner?

Unlike carb cleaner or brake cleaner, it was designed to be safe for plastic parts and sensors.

Serious question, I don't know if perhaps we're talking about totally different types of plastic.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    How about throttle body cleaner?

Unlike carb cleaner or brake cleaner, it was designed to be safe for plastic parts and sensors.

Serious question, I don't know if perhaps we're talking about totally different types of plastic.

Good suggestion. I’ve completely forgotten about throttle body cleaner.

Also...

That would work well with motorcycle brake calipers... I’ve always been hesitant on using brake cleaner with them... because of the rubber piston seals.

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    usually the spring on the guide rod doesnt come off? Ive never had one of mine come off, but I also never tried to take the spring off the guide rod. You will find the spring in a couple years when you go to clean it again ;) I didnt think the 10/22 was that difficult to clean but the ruger mark 1,2,3 etc arent too bad once you know how to reassemble it ;)

The rod that holds my spring is swedged or has a c-clip that keeps the spring from coming off. Forgot exactly what it is. You may want to look into that. You do have to do some fanageling to get the bolt in and out. A third hand would help.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Guess I take mine apart so much that they are easy to disassemble and assemble.:shrug:

Never had a problem with mine either.

Drilling the back of the receiver to run a cleaning rod thru didn't hurt either.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Never had a problem with mine either.

Drilling the back of the receiver to run a cleaning rod thru didn't hurt either.

That hole just makes it safer to run a cleaning rod through the barrel. Less chance of wearing out the muzzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom