Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 13th, 2018, 09:11 AM #11

Squeezed out a dozen last night. Found out my difficulties were caused because I had flared the case mouth too much. Adjusted and all is well. Gaged all my cartridges to ensure they will chamber. The mistake only cost me 2 cases.
Old September 14th, 2018, 09:02 AM #12

Glad you determined and corrected the cause. Varying case lenghs will affect degrees of flair. If the flaring die was adjusted with a short case, subsequent longer cases will be over flared.

FWIW, lubing the inside of magnum class revolver cartridges will cause lower bullet pull
force. This would contribute to bullet creep and less uniform ballistics and could affect group uniformity.
Old September 14th, 2018, 09:48 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras_oscar View Post
I pulled out my 44 mag dies last night to replenish my diminished supply. The expanding die and bullet seating die offered a bit more resistance to accepting the cartridge than I am used to. If I spray case lube on the first few cases to free things up, is there a risk of damage to the carbide coating?
I'm confused. Their isn't any carbide in the expanding or seating dies and the only die that has a carbide ring is a Lee Factory Crimp die.

I think you had better check your sizing die to see if it has backed out some.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 08:56 AM #14

The Sizing die has carbide insert in all "carbide" die sets, from all mfgs . Having on in the LEE FCD also is a unique feature .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 03:44 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
The Sizing die has carbide insert in all "carbide" die sets, from all mfgs . Having on in the LEE FCD also is a unique feature .
I know but he was talking about expanding and seating dies.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 08:20 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
In one way, yes. The whole die is not carbide.

But what was mentioned was that the carbide insert is typically a ring near the base, and not the whole inside of the die.

This works, as most of them are for straight wall cases. So one size for the entire length.

They do make carbide dies for 5.56 and 7.62 (Dillon) and the entire inside of the die is carbide. But still an insert into a steel shell with the threads.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2018, 10:10 AM #17

For those of you that may come across this thread as the result of a search, a fuller accounting of the issue and its resolution: My set up is the Lee 4 piece carbide die set in 44 special/44mag in a turret press. I had previously set up this turret and used it successfully for nearly a thousand rounds of 44mag without incident. When I posted the Original Post, I was having resistance getting the case into the bullet seating and factory crimp die. Resistance to the point that the side of the case was scratched and several had the rim crushed. My thought was the dies were dirty or dry from sitting in storage. Since I have recently expanded to rifle calibers, I have a can of case lube on hand. I understood that while pistol calibers are regularly available both with and without carbide rings, virtually all rifle calibers come in non carbide only. In parallel, I also understood that rifle cartridge always require case lube and pistol carts rarely do. Thus the OP was to confirm that there were no negative interaction between carbide rings and case lube.

The reason for the resistance at the bullet seating station was because I had recently upgraded from Lee Auto Disk to Lee Auto Drum at the powder station. In that process I had removed and then subsequently reinstalled the .44 cal powder through expanding die. ( The rifle die set does not come with a powder drop die, you have to purchase those separately) I had only adjusted it to correctly activate the powder drop, without giving proper consideration to case mouth flare. As a result, the powder through expanding die was set too low, thus over flaring the case and causing difficulties in the subsequent bullet seating station. Once I removed the powder drop and corrected the case flair the dies returned to flawless service I have come to expect.
Old September 25th, 2018, 10:14 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
Are you spending enough time with your die before inserting the case?

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading