Fulton Armory Garand build with chrome lined barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Anyone have Fulton Armory build a Garand using one of the Criterion chrome lined barrels? Just wondering if there is any difference in accuracy compared to std chrome moly barrel? Are there any other considerations before considering the chrome lined option?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have a Criterion chrome lined barrel on my first AR that I bought from Fulton; it's extremely accurate. They're guarantee at the time was 1 MOA. I've always thought Criterion barrels are an overlooked gem. Additionally they're button cut not hammer forged.

My ex-gf's father had a Fulton Garand rebarrelled in .270Win with a Criterion barrel; it was far more accurate than the original barrel.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    The conventional wisdom is that chrome lined barrels are less accurate because the dimensional control over the bore cannot be a precisely controlled when the bore is plated.

Whatever.

Truth is that any theoretical accuracy advantage of a non lined barrel over a lined barrel is lost as soon as you attach it to an M1 Garand. Garands are not benchrest rifles and you will never be able to measure an accuracy difference between the two.

That said I would not bother with a chrome lined barrel for a Garand. It buys you nothing. They never had chrome lined barrels in U.S. Government service and now that they are recreational range toys, there is no way to justify the expense for increased corrosion resistance. I'd just get a normal, unlined Criterion and that would be good enough.

Orlando

The Criterion barrels are more accurate than a standard USGI barrel. That being said there is more to accuracy on a Garand than just the barrel. If you have a stock with loose lock up (as most USGI stocks are) accuracy will suffer
    If you have a rifle with a worn out barrel a criterion and a new commercial stock would be the best way to increase accuracy

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The conventional wisdom is that chrome lined barrels are less accurate because the dimensional control over the bore cannot be a precisely controlled when the bore is plated.

Whatever.

Truth is that any theoretical accuracy advantage of a non lined barrel over a lined barrel is lost as soon as you attach it to an M1 Garand. Garands are not benchrest rifles and you will never be able to measure an accuracy difference between the two.

That said I would not bother with a chrome lined barrel for a Garand. It buys you nothing. They never had chrome lined barrels in U.S. Government service and now that they are recreational range toys, there is no way to justify the expense for increased corrosion resistance. I'd just get a normal, unlined Criterion and that would be good enough.

Yes to everything said ^^

criterion

May 25, 2016
    Criterion uses a method of chrome lining that varies from the traditional approach, which requires material removal prior to chrome lining, a process that normally adversely impacts bore uniformity. The adverse effects of this production method has led to the commonly held stigma that chrome lining limits accuracy potential.

Our chrome lined barrels should shoot just as well as a standard 4150 CMV or 416R stainless steel barrel. The only downside is that the chrome lined barrels feature a finished chamber, so it is possible multiple bolts may be required to headspace properly.

While the below article doesn't showcase M1 Garand specific achievements, it does prove that chrome lining can offer comparable accuracy potential. Last year two different shooters set national records at Camp Perry with chrome lined M1 Carbine barrels from Fulton Armory. As other posters have mentioned, stock and component fitment also play a big role in rifle performance.

http://criterionbarrels.com/two-mor...announce-national-record-setting-performances

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom