• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Do we have any actual, written guidance or direction from MSP or legislators as to what qualifies an AR-15 as an HBAR that is exempt from the ban on "Assault Long Guns"? I know that historically, it's been treated as "if the lower is marked HBAR, it's an HBAR".

But what about HBAR-marked lowers sold with non-HBAR uppers? Or non-HBAR-marked lowers sold with HBAR-like uppers? Is threshold of "HBAR-ness" based on what's stamped on the lower, overall configuration, both, or something else?

Moving forward, I feel like we really need a very clear explanation from either legislators or the MSP.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Hop - I think that by changing a HBAR (heavy barrel) into a hybrid, you are thereby significantly altering the gun and it is no longer the original that was manufactured... I've heard that this causes it to then fall under an "other" under NFA, but I dont think that would be correct. But as far as I can tell, it's pretty silly overall.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I don't know but isn't this just a rehash of the Federal Assault Weapons ban? What happened back then...besides Columbine?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    H= heavy
    Bar=short for barrel..

i have couple hbar rifles.. it doesnt say anything on reciever.. except one says match target (oly).

good question though what MSP allow to be hbar rifles. i've seen plenty different brands with heavy barrel but no other special marks on the reciever/lower.

:)

Cmoney

Nov 1, 2012
    I've had some FFLs tell me that they'll transfer anything with HBAR stamped on the barrel as an HBAR, I've had others say they will only do the "Colt Sporter HBAR" or whatever the exact wording is in the law.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    "Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations
    except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle"

I take this to mean unless the rifle is marked "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR" it is regulated, (now banned) however many, including MSP (apparently) do not.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    MSP will not define it. I have looked into this several times and have gotten several different answers.

msp doesnt make rules.. they only enforce them..

its up to the AG to tell MSP what that particular part will have to be.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    "Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations
    except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle"

I take this to mean unless the rifle is marked "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR" it is regulated, (now banned) however many, including MSP (apparently) do not.

Except that the law clearly says that it covers all clones. So as long as its a clone of a "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR", you are ok.

I think the law is pretty much unenforceable... so long as you have some connection to a HBAR. The Receiver is the regulated part. So long as your purchase an HBAR receiver, I don't see how they can stop much given the current law. Also if the barrel is marked HBAR, you would be ok even if its not on a HBAR receiver. There is nothing saying you can't rebarrel a HBAR. There is nothing saying you can't change the length of the barrel on a HBAR. So long as you have some excuse, the law is not clear so it sides against the Government. As long as you look like you believe you are following the law, I don't see any court finding you guilty. Of course MSP may still charge you.

However if MSP will not tell us how they define an HBAR and its not defined in the law...

Maybe the people of Maryland could pay COLT to make series called "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR", in every configuration out there... The law is not clear except that any "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR" is ok. There is nothing saying Colt can't make every model AR ever made and label it "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR"...

This is as bad as banning 50 caliber guns...... 49.99 caliber on its way!

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Except that the law clearly says that it covers all clones. So as long as its a clone of a "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR", you are ok.

I think the law is pretty much unenforceable... so long as you have some connection to a HBAR. The Receiver is the regulated part. So long as your purchase an HBAR receiver, I don't see how they can stop much given the current law. Also if the barrel is marked HBAR, you would be ok even if its not on a HBAR receiver. There is nothing saying you can't rebarrel a HBAR. There is nothing saying you can't change the length of the barrel on a HBAR. So long as you have some excuse, the law is not clear so it sides against the Government. As long as you look like you believe you are following the law, I don't see any court finding you guilty. Of course MSP may still charge you.

However if MSP will not tell us how they define an HBAR and its not defined in the law...

Maybe the people of Maryland could pay COLT to make series called "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR", in every configuration out there... The law is not clear except that any "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR" is ok. There is nothing saying Colt can't make every model AR ever made and label it "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR"...

This is as bad as banning 50 caliber guns...... 49.99 caliber on its way!

The law does not say it covers all clones. It says what I wrote above VERBATIM. The problem is the interpretation of the written word.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County

I'd love it if one of the manufacturers in MD started production of AR lowers stamped with something like "MD-Compliant HBAR Clone" and only sold them in MD.

Think of the profit they'd make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom