• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FAS1

Jan 30, 2015
    I always keep a dedicated home defense gun by my bed so I keep it in my handgun safe that is bolted to my bed frame. I could anchor it to the concrete floor and it would be more secure if needed. A good quality handgun safe made with significant steel can still be very quick when needed and enough to deter all but the most determined thief. Most handgun safes aren't made of enough steel and can be pried very easily with just a common screwdriver and the hidden in plain sight options aren't secure.

All my kids are grown, but I want to make sure that anyone that comes over, including service people, don't have access to my guns.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Exactly. Safes in my house aren't for burglars.

This. Well, sorta.

My safe is for smash and grab AND kids.

But the bedside table handgun is in a pistol safe because kids.

If you do ever have kids in your house, make sure your guns are locked up any time kids could be over.

IMHO, if you ever do, probably should just leave them locked up all the time unless you need one unlocked just so you don’t forget to lock it up. Or at least don’t have a ton unlocked so you might forget to lock one up or something.

Doubt my kids would ever mess with my guns. Maybe their friends wouldn’t. Not betting anyone’s life on it.

My kids haven’t burned my house down either. I still remember as a kid though my older brother nearly setting our house on fire.

Just saying, it isn’t always your kids/grandkids that are the problem...but then again, sometimes it could be. Better safe.

Don’t have kids living or ever visiting, up to you. I’d at least lock up my guns when not home. Most stolen guns are stolen in quick smash and grab robberies and it’s unsecured guns stolen. Hidden can help with a smash and grab a little. But that doesn’t mean you hid it well enough. A cheap safe is probably going to stop 80+% of robbers stealing your guns.

PS per the above. Didn’t really think about that, but that’s a good point about service people (or hell neighbors, friends, house sitter, etc.). I Am pretty trusting, but doesn’t mean sometimes it’s not misplaced.

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020

Anyway, hidden would be best but at least have something to slow folks down or keep kids, etc.. from just getting to the firearms easily. I would never just have a firearm out in the open or in a nightstand, etc.. without it being in some kind of pistol safe. It seems like too much of a liability.

There are several companies that make awesome hidden pistol boxes, furniture, etc.. to store an HD gun. Some are quite expensive, some less so.

Everything is put away. If I am home something is out and available. Otherwise tucked away from prying eyes.

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    +1 on the training kids...I grew up around firearms and knew to never open the second file drawer in dad's office unless he was there. Never bothered with having my own, but a few years after I got married, the wife's father decided that he wanted her to have a way to protect herself in our own house...I said fine, but I'm not going to have a gun in the house if not everyone knows how to use it. I'm not talking about leaving it accessible, but I took my son and wife to the range with it the first weekend after she got it and both learned exactly what a .357 magnum (we started with .38 specials) was capable of.

Earlier this year he turned 21 and now he's talking about his carry permit, but he's dragging his feet on even getting the HQL because he hasn't decided what pistol to buy, so each time that he starts talking about one, I go and buy it so he can try it out and so that if he can't find one by the time he has money, he can buy mine. That has worked out as a pretty good excuse for the wife on why I'm spending so much money :-)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Biometric safes for what needs to be accessible quickly, backed up by alarm system which dispatches Police if we don’t answer the phone call in 30 seconds on phone number provided and give mobile PIN. Cameras interior and exterior with motion detection mobile alerts back that up as well transmitting video into cloud storage. By the time an intruder would make it onto our property we already have the first notification and video.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I grew up where many of the homes had a long gun in an open rack loaded, chambered and ready to go. They were in bed rooms, living rooms and some times in the kitchen. There was none of the stuff that is going on today. If you cannot readily have you gun in hand loaded and ready to fire with in 5 to 10 seconds you and your family could be victims. Typically, it is no longer than the loan burglar that is going to rob you especially in cities. More and more it is several dirt bags that bum rush your home. At that point you have little time to do anything except be a victim. Yes, today if you do not lock up your guns, or have trigger locks you can be arrested if a child gets a hold of one. In any space in my house I can have a gun in my hand in less than 5 seconds drawn and ready to protect my family. I would prefer not to have to be ready for the worst but it is the current climate we live in. Semper Paratus (Always Ready).

kool361

Apr 16, 2020
    Damascus
    Mine are in a gun safe when not at home. I have a pistol safe under the bed with a quick release. When I am at home one of my pistols is always by my side. When kids are around most things are locked up except the pistol on my belt.

Chiefscs

Sep 27, 2017
    SoMd
    I don't normally post anything as many will no doubt note. I am fortunate that the youngest in the house is a 20 YO that handles himself well with a firearm as we discuss safety and practice handling/firing often. Realizing safes will only slow down an intruder, I have put as much money as I can personally afford into protection of my firearms. They are kept in a Stack-On safe weighing about 400 lbs empty and my ammo is kept in smaller, (unfortunately) easier to break-into safes that could potentially be carried out of the house but being full, are quite heavy. We do keep firearms at the ready when home, though, because this imperfect world has just seemingly gotten a lot more dangerous. I am a Md CCW holder as well -- I realize the gravity of that privilege -- gun safety is paramount with me and the entire family.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Exactly. Safes in my house aren't for burglars.

Same with me as well. I know that most often times, the break in at your home is a person looking for something to grab quick and sell for drug money. The professional will get your stuff. My safes are to keep it out of young hands, but allow me and my wife to grab to protect.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Mine are in a gun safe when not at home. I have a pistol safe under the bed with a quick release. When I am at home one of my pistols is always by my side. When kids are around most things are locked up except the pistol on my belt.

:thumbsup::party29:

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Do what is good in your circumstance. Be mindful of those who are not "firearms inclined," that might be able to gain access to your gun(s). If you don't have kids, all you have to worry about is drunken friends...

(Might want to look up "Project Childsafe" if you have kids, or people will be visiting with kids.)

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    sort of related, but cleaning out my safe got me thinking about this the other day. Part of the cleanup was moving all of my handguns from their manufacturers' boxes onto ranks in the safe. I removed all identifying labels from the cases, but does anyone think it's a bad idea to store all the cases next to the safe to give someone an idea of what's inside? Or if they're already at the point of looking to consider what's in it, you've already lost the battle?

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    my ammo is kept in smaller, (unfortunately) easier to break-into safes that could potentially be carried out of the house but being full, are quite heavy.

This part concerns me. My safe is "fire-resistant" the door seal will melt and seal up in a fire. Some things can take extended heat in an inferno, some can't. I fear ammo in a safe as a "pressure cooker" bomb effect. I can't see putting my ammo in a safe. :shrug:

Chiefscs

Sep 27, 2017
    SoMd
    "I fear ammo in a safe as a "pressure cooker" bomb effect. I can't see putting my ammo in a safe."

Although it isn't in the living space, that had never crossed my mind ---

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This part concerns me. My safe is "fire-resistant" the door seal will melt and seal up in a fire. Some things can take extended heat in an inferno, some can't. I fear ammo in a safe as a "pressure cooker" bomb effect. I can't see putting my ammo in a safe. :shrug:

"I fear ammo in a safe as a "pressure cooker" bomb effect. I can't see putting my ammo in a safe."

Although it isn't in the living space, that had never crossed my mind ---

Research has been done and the results are on Youtube. Your ammo is nothing more than high powered firecrackers in a fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom