• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hey all, looking for holster recommendations for inside the waistband for a Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 in 9mm. Looking for something either my wife or I could comfortably carry with. I've read varying reviews of different ones online, just curious whats popular here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

germannator

Jun 18, 2013
    I believe Hawg Holsters have the best IBW holster on the market. They work well even with a tucked in T-Shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here we go again.
    Carrying hurts. Let's get that out of the way right now.
    Kydex is kydex is kydex is kydex. No one makes a softer kydex.
    What you put down in your pants is the width of your pistol plus the thickness of 2 sides of kydex.
    That's the reality of carrying.
    Now, people who don't seriously carry will say alien gear or crossbreed holsters because they are a hybrid. Half a kydex shell attached to either a huge leather backing or some alien gear shit ass pleather. They are comfy, they are both shit to draw fron, and also take up a lot of real estate in your pants.

Vedder is a good name. But there is no just 1 kydex holster better than another. Pick one you think looks the coolest and go with that.
    Just stay away from the hybrids.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Here we go again.
    What you put down in your pants is the width of your pistol plus the thickness of 2 sides of kydex.
    Now, people who don't seriously carry will say alien gear or crossbreed holsters because they are a hybrid. Half a kydex shell attached to either a huge leather backing or some alien gear shit ass pleather. They are comfy, they are both shit to draw fron, and also take up a lot of real estate in your pants.

Vedder is a good name. But there is no just 1 kydex holster better than another. Pick one you think looks the coolest and go with that.

I'm aware of the comfort issues. I've carried a 1911 for many years in a cheap holster. Standing is fine, but sitting down requires a lot of maneuvering. The M&P is the first compact handgun I've owned, and I'm looking for something more fitted. Everything I google comes up Alien gear, but I remember hearing bad things from people who carry regularly, as you stated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I've carried everyday for years. If it is a larger weapon AG is fine. If it is one of the new trendy CCW guns get a Veddar or similar.

If you are not carrying 24/7 the AG is fine. The extra real estate taking up does help disperse some of the weight of the gun. I carried a MP40C for a few years in one without issue.

Now that I'm switching to one of the new trendy guns that are thin and smaller I went with the Veddar but have yet to carry with it so I can't comment.

In the winter time a good OWB works for me often. I don't go many places where I take my coat off. Running errands or going shopping OWB is great with your jacket over it.

I have ZERO issues drawing my G19 from the AG. You do have to position the firearm correctly. The "most concealed" setting of the holster makes drawing nearly impossible.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, the Vedder Comforttuck looks a lot like an Alien Gear. :D

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I say crossbreed from experience and a large box full of holsters. Great customer service and good product.

Crossbreed also has a two week trial period, so if it don't work ya send it back. Don't forget a good belt.

TD

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I must be missing something too.

Thought about an Alien myself.

Here's my experience with these hybrid types.
    Leather stretches, kydex doesn't. This is a disparity I don't like.
    They take up too much room inside the pants.
    I have seen on a few occasions in weapon retention training the "attacker" having more available to grab.
    Some of that excess leather pushes/pinches into parts of your body if you don't have it situated perfectly.

But my number 1 issue, is that I like to be able to take my holster out when driving. Good luck taking any of these out and putting them back in out in public in a covert type manner. A simple, 1 clip kydex holster allows this.

That being said, this is me using holsters as part of a profession. Hybrids just weren't a good "fit". Figuratively and literally.

For the casual carry person, sure. Have at it.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I prefer Vedder IWB for my carry guns, one reason is that I prefer the spring steel belt clip vs the plastic that many other vendors use.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Metal) springs gradually loose tension , subtly enough to potentially escape notice . Plastic does what plastic does , until it breaks all at once .

( In case you are scratching your head over that , it's a roundabout way of point out that leather loops are better than either .)

denimdan85

Aug 12, 2014
    Hanover, PA
    Here we go again.

Agreed. Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting. Not comfortable.

Loops instead of clips. NSR Tactical and Phlster are good brands. There is a reason Alien Gear is half the prices of brands I mentioned. Wearing an undershirt helps with the kydex rubbing on your skin greatly.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Back eons ago when I lived where I could legally carry, a would strap a S&W 6906 to my right hip in a leather IWB holster and it was comfortable enough that I'd forget I was even wearing it.

Years go by, I'm in Maryland now, so no longer carry; but recently figured it would be a good idea to get an IWB holster for my Sig SP2022 and P365 because, well, we live in interesting times. Two kydex holster, different brands. Both OK, except for where the grip of the handguns rub against my skin. Very uncomfortable on the verge of painful without an undershirt after awhile. I suspect the issue not so much the move to Maryland, or that they are made out of Kydex, but rather the significant change in my waistline. Those damn love handles just love to rub on the butt of a handgun.

I've been thinking a solution might be to have some thin but strong material that could attach to the holster, or maybe the gun belt, and extend up past the grip of the gun against the skin. Easily removable so it can be removed when wearing undershirts (or other reasons I'm sure) and to wash periodically would be beneficial. It seems like such an obvious solution, I'm certain it exists somewhere on the commercial market. But I haven't found it yet. I have been experimenting here and there, though, hoping to come up with something decent.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    ( Metal) springs gradually loose tension , subtly enough to potentially escape notice . Plastic does what plastic does , until it breaks all at once .

( In case you are scratching your head over that , it's a roundabout way of point out that leather loops are better than either .)
    This metal clip on this Desantis holster is about 15 years use. If not older.
    Just as strong as day 1.
    139bb3b7e0596a917f2c45ef0c99d203.jpg
    0489f6016db8a4682b2f6af9fcfb1101.jpg

denimdan85

Aug 12, 2014
    Hanover, PA
    Good thought; but if it's not comfortable, it's less likely to be carried.

If lack of comfort keeps someone from carrying, I would have to doubt that person's fortitude to use a firearm to protect themselves if the time comes. Carrying eventually comes second nature to the point where you forget you have it on you until you are about to cross an invisible line in the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom