• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I grew up in Worcester county and spent a fair amount of time in OC as a kid. However, I had not been in many years until recently. In season, there are just too many people there. But, if you simply are going to hole up in a nice hotel, eat good food, drink too much and sun yourself on a deck, well, I can do that plenty of other places including at home.
    ...and listen to the ocean? Good for you. I don't have that luxury. OC is not my only beach/ocean excursion. It is my cheapest.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    No, I cannot listen to the ocean at home except maybe on a CD. I simply meant that I do not need to go to the ocean and spend $$$ to relax. No offense intended whatsoever.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I don't go to OC during the summer anymore, too crowded amongst the many other issues that have cropped up. I do like to go in late March and early October as long as the weather is agreeable, the parking is still free at the inlet, me and the gf can go walk around for the day, get some good food, play some games, have a few drinks and get a nice dinner and head home. It does make for a long day with it being a 2.5 hour drive each way and then spending 8-10 hours walking around but to me its worth it for a day trip

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The last time the wife and I went to RB I got hit on several times by an unfavorable gender.

Another good place to go is chincoteague island. It's about 2 hour drive beyond OC and well worth the drive. It seems very family-oriented. The beach is on a State Park and very large. Bikes to rent along with good restaurants. Good choice between BnB or motel. For our 10th anniversary we stayed at a motel on the island and it was nice, clean, quiet. There were a few nice gourmet restaurants to choose from. I liked the area because there wern't drunken teenagers running around.

That would be my go-to if it were up to me.

We just came back from spending a week there. Noticed a hell of a lot more Butchs and Dykes. Also seems like a lot more “Purple Parrot” type restaurants opened up. We normally eat at the Summerhouse on Rehoboth Ave, Claws and Dogfish Head. Might have to go back to Myrtle Beach.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    We just came back from spending a week there. Noticed a hell of a lot more Butchs and Dykes. Also seems like a lot more “Purple Parrot” type restaurants opened up. We normally keep with the Summerhouse on Rehoboth Ave, Claws and Dogfish Head. Might have to go back to Myrtle Beach.

Stay away from the Grand Strand at night. It's just as bad if not worse than the OC boards.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Add me for another vote to stay away from OC. Dewey or Rohowbeth get my vote. If you are going with a family for a week, there are lots of great deals to be had in the fall at the outerbanks.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Go to the North Carolina coastal beaches way more and nicer and less expensive than crappy Ocean City. My sister in law lives near Jacksonville Carteret County, NC. Very nice coastal beaches. We go there every

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    We did go to OBX a few years ago. Stayed at Kitty Hawk. Really liked the Duck/Corolla area. Went down to Cape Hatteras area, did the lighthouse walk. Only issue was we were there the week before Bike Week and mostly everything was still closed. Love them Duck Dounuts!

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Also, check out Lewes Delaware. There's a lot of BnBs. It's a quaint little town. Not much to do there but within driving distance of atlantic shore and a state park. You can take the ferry to Cape May for the day.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Bethany, Rehoboth, Dewey, Virginia Beach.
    Pick one.
    Don’t go to Ocean City

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. OC is an weekly invasion of people who did the same thing their Maryland fathers and grandfathers did year after year after year.

And the area hotels "show it"... The other venues are old and tired.

Drop some coin on a Marriott property in VB. You will not regret it.

-Right on the Beach
    -Some have outdoor pools (great for cooling down)
    -Area has great restaurants in town and just outside.
    -And...... JETS!

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Man this thread blew up, haha. I think we have decided to goto Tampa FL, because a flight from WV to Tampa is.. 60.00 per person. And we can stay in a hotel for something like 30 a night thanks to the wifes hotel discount.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Be a contrarian. You'll be surprised and happy with the results

-when everyone is selling stocks, buy them.....at a bargain price

-at amusement parks, studies show that everyone goes to the right after coming through the gates......go to the left before the crowds get around to those rides.

-when ammo prices go up and people stop buying, continue to buy small amounts regularly......dollar cost averaging softens the blow and your stash continues to grow.

-when everyone wants to stay in hotels closest to the Boardwalk, find one up Ocean Highway a few miles and enjoy the uncrowded beaches then just visit the overcrowded Boardwalk.

-when everyone wants to go to OC, go somewhere else (agree with Myrtle Beach :D)

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    First time I went to Myrtle Beach (Garden City) was the last time I went to OC. In laws have a condo in OC (free place to stay) and I have no desire to go there.

Only thing I miss is the crapes at Bayside Skillet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom