HEY, LETS GET PRACTICING! Post videos/evidence of your practice HERE!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I agree that a reload can be done fast with the gun a little low. Watch stoeger reload.

My theory is the mag has to go from the belt to the final firing position before you can shoot. So where it meets the gun wont matter much as long as it meets the gun on its way to the firing position. The real key to a reload in my eyes is moving your support hand fast. You can only move the gun so far before the mag gets to it. That will limit how far you can drop the gun. It's kinda hard to explain.

Keeping the gun super high may be a little faster, but we are probably talking a tenth of a second or less. The important thing is to not mess up, and I more constant bringing the gun down some, and keeping my eye on the mag well. When I miss a reload I either didn't look at the mag well, or missed my grip on the mag.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Here is a quick, simple little drill to work on a good trigger press.
    Set your timer at the lowest time that allows for 2 separate audible beeps. Mine is .4seconds. The goal is to press the trigger in the space between the beeps. Look hard at the front sight to confirm that it moves NOT AT ALL.
    I like to include strong hand, and weak hand only. Weak hand only is harder than you think!

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Time to post another practice video. In this one I practice unloaded table starts for the first time ever. I start at 1.7secs, and work my way to 1.6, then end with a few at 1.5. As you can see I enjoy some funny f-ups. Its harder than it looks at 1.5secs with a production rig. I know some of the open and limited guys have worked out how to start with the mag oriented at the mouth of the mag well, and they almost just push it in while the gun is still on the table. I don't know if this will get you much faster than 1.5(to first shot) which seems pretty quick to me.
    Anyway I actually enjoyed trying this out for a change.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I've been adding that trigger pull drill into my dry fire the last few days, and I think I'm going to keep doing that every day. One thing I do a little different, I don't ride the reset. I take my finger all the way off the trigger, and try to slap it a bit at the beep. I try to exaggerate how hard I pull the trigger. This is making it harder to keep the sights still, but it's possible. I feel like this may better simulate the trigger control I will have under pressure. I also do some with out the timer, and I take my time focusing on the press to make sure everything is perfect. I'm spending about my first 5 min. of a session on this kind of work.

I'll try to do some table pick up work and video it sometime later this week. I'll include the cool slide the mag in trick you can do with a mag well. While I can do it, I've only done it in club level matches more to give people shit and show off a bit. It's a more risky move, that might gain you a couple tenths is all. And if you screw up you look like a jack ass lol. Most majors are set up so you can't do it that way anyway, so I don't really practice it much.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    My video is below, par time is set at 1.5 seconds. I'm not trying to pull the trigger before the beep, just get a sight picture. Any drill that doesn't require more than one shot I don't pull the trigger, I don't want to start racing the beep with the trigger pull. Another note, that may save you a little time is I'm racking it off the front of the slide. I find this to be a little faster, as after racking the slide my support hand is already in the right location to acquire the grip. My gun doesn't have front cocking serrations, making it a little harder to get a good grip.

I'm beating this time pretty well, I'll have to do it again and see if I can't lower the time some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSB_a6ijUCo&feature=youtu.be

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I've been adding that trigger pull drill into my dry fire the last few days, and I think I'm going to keep doing that every day. One thing I do a little different, I don't ride the reset. I take my finger all the way off the trigger, and try to slap it a bit at the beep. I try to exaggerate how hard I pull the trigger. This is making it harder to keep the sights still, but it's possible. I feel like this may better simulate the trigger control I will have under pressure. I also do some with out the timer, and I take my time focusing on the press to make sure everything is perfect. I'm spending about my first 5 min. of a session on this kind of work.

I'll try to do some table pick up work and video it sometime later this week. I'll include the cool slide the mag in trick you can do with a mag well. While I can do it, I've only done it in club level matches more to give people shit and show off a bit. It's a more risky move, that might gain you a couple tenths is all. And if you screw up you look like a jack ass lol. Most majors are set up so you can't do it that way anyway, so I don't really practice it much.

Highlighted portion: good idea. I will work this method in. Makes total sense.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    My video is below, par time is set at 1.5 seconds. I'm not trying to pull the trigger before the beep, just get a sight picture. Any drill that doesn't require more than one shot I don't pull the trigger, I don't want to start racing the beep with the trigger pull. Another note, that may save you a little time is I'm racking it off the front of the slide. I find this to be a little faster, as after racking the slide my support hand is already in the right location to acquire the grip. My gun doesn't have front cocking serrations, making it a little harder to get a good grip.

I'm beating this time pretty well, I'll have to do it again and see if I can't lower the time some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSB_a6ijUCo&feature=youtu.be

Nice. with my factory glock slide it is quite difficult to run the slide from the front. I might get my G35 cut up front when I set up my limited rig, but for now Im stuck running it from the rear. I think I get a good enough result for production.

Did some live fire practice today finally. Ill post some footage soon.

Match down at Sanners this weekend. After my poor showing at ESPS a couple weeks ago, I am looking to see better and to arrive and stay in match mode. Still just need an %80.5 on the classifier stage to bump to Master.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    The super fast gamer way to rack the slide would be from the front, and from under the gun. As you insert the mag your hand is already under the gun, grab slide, rack. Your hand is now in the right place for the grip. I have trouble getting this to work for me consistently. I think if I had front cocking serrations and maybe a lighter recoil spring it would be a little easier.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Quick video from yesterday's practice session. A couple bill drills. 1 at 1.87, and the second at 2.03. All clean. I am around %65-%70 sub 2 second bill drills clean at this point with the rest coming easily at sub 2.05. Pretty happy with it, but will work till im at %95 sub 2 seconds before I call it good.
    Later, Ill post some footage of el prez practice which went less well lol.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Practice last week paid off. Since my poor performance at the ESPS USPSA match last month, I worked extra hard in dry fire, and made a point to get out and shoot more live fire.
    I came in 1st in Production this Sunday at the SMPS (sanners lake) USPSA match. This is what practice gets you. Improvement!!!
    Here is a stage from the match. A quick little hoser. I came in 2nd on this stage. If I hadn't taken the 2 make up shots at the end it would have been a stage win. I called the 2 charlies on those targets but the make up shots were charlies too so it was just a waste of time! Live and learn as usual... I was happy with the mag changes however.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Any idea on what your time was for the draw to first shot? It looked pretty darn quick! (ahhh...the ol dry fire practice)

When you plan your run do you pay regard to the Hit Factor for the stage? I only ask because....the make-ups at the end were probably not worth it regardless if they ended up being Alphas.

Looked like a nice run, very nice.

See you when it warms up! :)

Just my $.02

Steve

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Any idea on what your time was for the draw to first shot? It looked pretty darn quick! (ahhh...the ol dry fire practice)

When you plan your run do you pay regard to the Hit Factor for the stage? I only ask because....the make-ups at the end were probably not worth it regardless if they ended up being Alphas.

Looked like a nice run, very nice.

See you when it warms up! :)

Just my $.02

Steve

Thanks Steve! I totally agree with you about the make ups at the end.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Come on people! Me and Racinready300ex can't be the only ones to have practice footage and/or have the sack to post it. Let's see YOUR footage! Don't worry if you aren't where you want to be yet. None of us are... A shooter new to competitive shooting who posts may inspire others more than some of us who are more experienced!

So come on everyone, lets see what you got!

-T

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Maybe I can talk my wife into letting me video her dry fire and posting it. She's been really busy, and hasn't dry fired much lately so I'm not going to hold my breath lol. She's low C-Class in Single stack. Maybe that will get the ball rolling.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Can I ask you guys a quick question. What type of mag holders are you using. I picked up a 5.11 one based on a recommendation from a friend who is a police officer, but it just seems like I can't grab the mag and position it in my hand quickly. It looks nothing like the ones in these videos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I have old blade techs. I will be getting some new ones that allow me to get my hand deeper into the mag and are adjustable for better positioning when shooting Limited. Safariland makes some affordable ones. Got a %40 off card after taking Vogel's class (they sponser him) so I'll probably go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom