MSP: we will require information on only a single handgun for HQL training exemption

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    As just about everyone reading this already knows, as of October 1, 2013, it will become a general requirement that in order for a Maryland resident to purchase or otherwise acquire a handgun, he or she must first possess a "Handgun Qualification License" (HQL). There are a number of exceptions to this general requirement to possess a HQL, but this thread does NOT discuss those exceptions (regarding which I have written or will write elsewhere). What I write here is intended only for those to whom the requirement for a HQL will apply.

In order to obtain the HQL, a number of distinct requirements must be fulfilled -- including submission of electronic fingerprints, payment of a $50 fee, and fulfillment of a training requirement. However, there are a number of exemptions to the training requirement. I write here to discuss only one of these exemptions, which is the exemption that will apply to the greatest number of potential applicants: the provision that exempts from the training requirement anyone who "lawfully owns a regulated firearm" at the time of his or her HQL application.

In many threads on this forum, and elsewhere, Maryland firearms owners have raised many questions about this exemption -- asking, for example, whether it will apply only to regulated firearms that are already in the Maryland State Police database, or also to all regulated firearms lawfully acquired but never entered into the Maryland State Police database, and if the latter, what form of documentation would be required, etc. There are a number of ways in which a Maryland resident might lawfully possess one or more regulated firearms that are not in the state database. For example, a person may have lawfully acquired a certain firearm before it became regulated in Maryland, or may have lawfully acquired it in a different state before moving to Maryland. There are other scenarios by which such lawful possession may have occurred, as well, and it is not my purpose here to explore all of them -- but rather, to examine the question of how such "unregistered" regulated firearms will be regarded for purposes of claiming the HQL training exemption.

While draft regulations to implement the new law have been circulated by the Maryland State Police, those draft regulations merely repeat the statutory exemption without addressing the questions summarized above.

Therefore, I submitted a detailed inquiry on this point to MSP Lieutenant John G. Cook, commander of the Licensing Section, which is part of the MSP Licensing Division, stating that I intended to disseminate his response. On September 7, 2013, Lt. Cook responded as follows:

The HQL will be an automated application process and upon a declaration that the applicant lawfully owns a regulated firearm, the applicant will be required to provide the weapon information, to include a serial number. It is understood by law enforcement that some firearms may not be registered in the applicant's name for a number of reasons.

In a follow up exchange, Lt. Cook clarified that what will be required, for purposes of invoking the exemption, is "the weapon information" on a single regulated firearm. This means, for example, that if a person moved to Maryland last year in lawful possession of 10 regulated firearms, he or she will only be required to provide the "weapon information" on one of them in order to obtain the exemption from the training requirement. If that person does not wish to obtain a HQL, or wishes to obtain a HQL but does not wish to claim the training exemption, then of course he is not required to register any of the 10 firearms. (However, persons who move to Maryland after October 1, 2013, intending to establish residency, must register all regulated firearms within 90 days.)

In my personal opinion, what Lt. Cook describes is a straightforward and sensible application of the exemption provision as it was enacted in SB 281.

Last edited:

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I wonder how they would handle a person who submits a pistol that has no serial number.

TimGB

Jul 10, 2011
    It is understood by law enforcement that some firearms may not be registered in the applicant's name for a number of reasons.

I can see this happening for quite a few people who bought their first regulated firearm in the last few months and have taken posession of the firearm on 8-day release but the paperwork has not cleared MSP.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Why should we have to give them a serial number on a weapon they already have information on? If we purchased it in this state, then they already have this information. Its like being a Designated Collector, I dont have to show my letter everytime I buy a firearm, only check the box. You would think they woujld be able to cross reference your information, just like they do the DC

I really hate this state

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Why should we have to give them a serial number on a weapon they already have information on? If we purchased it in this state, then they already have this information. Its like being a Designated Collector, I dont have to show my letter everytime I buy a firearm, only check the box. You would think they woujld be able to cross reference your information, just like they do the DC

I really hate this state

There are ways that they don't have that info. For example if you moved here with a pistol.

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County

I really hate this state

It is another behind the scenes method of registration. And yes, if MSP already has weapon info from a previous regulated firearm transaction, why is it necessary to re-declare firearm info?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Why should we have to give them a serial number on a weapon they already have information on? If we purchased it in this state, then they already have this information.

It is another behind the scenes method of registration. And yes, if MSP already has weapon info from a previous regulated firearm transaction, why is it necessary to re-declare firearm info?

The Maryland State Police database can tell them if the applicant acquired a regulated firearm through the state transfer system in the past. But that doesn't tell them whether the applicant "lawfully owns" that regulated firearm at the time of the application for the HQL, which is the requirement for the exemption. Perhaps, for example, one year after you purchased a handgun in Maryland, you took it to an FFL in Virginia and sold it to him at his shop -- a lawful transaction that the MSP would have no record of.

To say it another way, no matter how many regulated firearms you may have lawfully owned in the past, if you don't lawfully own at least one at the time of your application for the HQL, you don't qualify for this exemption from the training requirement.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    What If my firearm was purchased out of state before I moved to Md? That sounds like forced registration to me.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    The Maryland State Police database can tell them if the applicant acquired a regulated firearm through the state transfer system in the past. But that doesn't tell them whether the applicant "lawfully owns" that regulated firearm at the time of the application for the HQL, which is the requirement for the exemption. Perhaps, for example, one year after you purchased a handgun in Maryland, you took it to an FFL in Virginia and sold it to him at his shop -- a lawful transaction that the MSP would have no record of.

To say it another way, no matter how many regulated firearms you may have lawfully owned in the past, if you don't lawfully own at least one at the time of your application for the HQL, you don't qualify for this exemption from the training requirement.

thanks for the explanation

I can follow the reasoning but its just another reason I purchased everything i wanted ahead of Oct 1, I am not going to provide a serial number to the MSP because they already have it.

I am getting the hell out of this state within the next year, I can wait and buy any more firearms in my new state of residence

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    What If my firearm was purchased out of state before I moved to Md? That sounds like forced registration to me.

If that were the only regulated firearm that you lawfully owned at the time of the application, you would indeed, in effect, be "registering" it, for purposes of claiming the exemption from the training requirement. However, if you do not wish to do this, there are alternatives. You could claim one of the other exemptions to the training requirement, if you qualify for any of them, or you could take one of the types of training courses that the bill specifies (I have written or will write about the various types of training and exemptions to training elsewhere). In that case, the gun that you acquired before moving to Maryland would remain "unregistered."

Those who move to Maryland after October 1, 2013, with the purpose of establishing residency, will be required to register all regulated firearms within 90 days, by a different provision of SB 281, discussed elsewhere.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I wonder how they would handle a person who submits a pistol that has no serial number.

MSP would be showing up at your door that day. You would then have to show them a super good reason why that firearm does not nor never had a serial number. And your are in deep S#$% it shows signs of being removed. Chris

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    MSP would be showing up at your door that day. You would then have to show them a super good reason why that firearm does not nor never had a serial number. And your are in deep S#$% it shows signs of being removed. Chris

Although most did have them, firearms manufactured before 1968 were not required to have a serial number.

Mr H

Banana'd

This...

Plus, I don't believe we have a straight answer on "regulated firearm" or "handgun".

The law specifically states the training requirement for the HQL is waived with prior ownership of a "regulated firearm" (and even maintains the definition to include long guns, as in current law), but some information we're hearing indicated they want to make it handguns in application of the regulations.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I don't believe we have a straight answer on "regulated firearm" or "handgun". The law specifically states the training requirement for the HQL is waived with prior ownership of a "regulated firearm" (and even maintains the definition to include long guns, as in current law), but some information we're hearing indicated they want to make it handguns in application of the regulations.

Every version of the draft regulations I have seen, including the version posted by the MSP on its website on Sept. 5, replicates the statutory language -- "lawfully owns a regulated firearm."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom