• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've seen a Nutria in St. Mary's County. I'm waiting for the pigs myself. It's a matter of time. I don't think the sitka deer can thrive outside of marshes but I could be wrong on that.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    Do you have the Eurasian collared dove in Maryland? They are an invasive species in Colorado. No season, no limits, no hunting license required.

I see a lot of doves up my way but I am not sure what kind. I didn't know about the Eurasian collared dove but if that is what they are I am going to be having a lot of fun.
    I also have a few feral cats roaming and have considered taking them out because of the damage they cause to native species. The only reason I haven't so far is respect for my wife's love of cats.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Luckily I don't seem to have any at my house or I would get a trap. I have a few blue bird houses and get at least one batch of babies a year.

Cool - the only thing with these traps are that they will also catch desirable species so if you ever do get one, you have to check it frequently. I leave mine off until I see a sparrow checking the house out, then I put it up and check back every 20 minutes or so. Then a grocery bag and some centrifugal force and goodbye, sparrow.

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    They did a great job of getting rid of Nutria on the Eastern Shore but they're still hanging on on the Western Shore from the Potomac River southwards.

Down in Louisiana they have a $5 bounty per tail. Guys go out with a shotgun and a machete. Turn in 10-20 Nutria tails and you've got beer money.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    seen shows on it

I like hunting Sika deer even though its regulated. They're invading everywhere, like rats.

They did a great job of getting rid of Nutria on the Eastern Shore but they're still hanging on on the Western Shore from the Potomac River southwards.

Down in Louisiana they have a $5 bounty per tail. Guys go out with a shotgun and a machete. Turn in 10-20 Nutria tails and you've got beer money.

I have seen shows where they take those air boats to the swamps and hunt them. They are damn big. Like round tailed beavers.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I like hunting Sika deer even though its regulated. They're invading everywhere, like rats.

I wish I hunted where you do then. Place we had and lost 5 years ago had them but not overrun by any means. Then I went with a guide a few times the last couple of years and got 2 but I only saw maybe 10 total in about 8 sits.

A friend of mine has a buddy who hates them, prefers hunting whitetails, for eating his corn. I relayed to him let me come kill some and I'd pay him for the pleasure. Guess he doesn't hate them enough to take me up on it.

You ever feel like having a tag along let me know:)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Surprised no one mentioned feral pigs yet. Just a matter of time before they’re here.

It is just a matter of time as they exist in VA and PA and basically “surround” Maryland.

For invasive species it is basically Nutria and Ground hogs. Though the later are native and endemic, but it is open season year round with no license needed. Just need to wear orange.

Not really much else. Coyotes I guess, but you need a $5 fur bearer permit to hunt them. IMHO nothing as fun or as yummy as feral pigs or any odd deer species. Sika are invasive, but they mostly coexist with White Tail as their habitat and targeted food sources have only modest overlap. It is NOT open season on them. Basically follows regularly WT seasons with very limited tag numbers.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Sika primary food source is now corn and beans and forest mast combined with grasses as it always been. Same as Wt. More robust animals with higher body weight and better racks are becoming harvested well outside what has been normally associated with "best or traditional habitat". Any where in between Cambridge and Vienna including public options up to and including Caroline county and east out the Nanticoke towards Seaford and Laurel DE. Plenty of good hunting from 50 south of Mardela Springs to waters edge and over towards Salisbury.
    Some are starting to bugle and carry on now a slight bit. I think alot of times juvenile or small ones are misidentified as WT or just plainly missed while hunting or to where they can be viewed from an automobile. They're just like rats.

Sika primary food source is now corn and beans and forest mast combined with grasses as it always been. Same as Wt. More robust animals with higher body weight and better racks are becoming harvested well outside what has been normally associated with "best or traditional habitat". Any where in between Cambridge and Vienna including public options up to and including Caroline county and east out the Nanticoke towards Seaford and Laurel DE. Plenty of good hunting from 50 south of Mardela Springs to waters edge and over towards Salisbury.
    Some are starting to bugle and carry on now a slight bit. I think alot of times juvenile or small ones are misidentified as WT or just plainly missed while hunting or to where they can be viewed from an automobile. They're just like rats.

I really want to shoot (EAT) a Sika Deer. I have a good friend on Athol Rd (by Goose Creek on rt50) He gets one or two every year.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This is a nice invasive species hunting outfit. Maybe for Halloween?

Attachments

• 29AA14F9-A927-4778-A77F-820E5CB23BDB.jpg
      29AA14F9-A927-4778-A77F-820E5CB23BDB.jpg
      117.3 KB · Views: 443

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah I’ve been hunting Nanticoke the last few years. No luck so far. Too cold+snow this past year so I didn’t go and the year before got a blizzard on the 2nd day and gave up after 3hrs of trudging through 40mph winds and 1+” of snow an hour. Just missed a chance at a Sika hind in the blizzard.

My neighbor got a hind a few years ago. Late gun season trip for me every year if I can.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I really want to shoot (EAT) a Sika Deer. I have a good friend on Athol Rd (by Goose Creek on rt50) He gets one or two every year.

Plenty of good public land 10 minutes from there. North and south of the highway. If you ever decide to go for them hunt near the road for them in the evening in really marshy areas. They want the grass off the shoulder.
    When in the woods or back into the marsh, you need to keep your head on a swivel because of how diminutive they are. They'll get right by you unless you can hear them splashing around or you catch some movement.

Best bet to grass some is Blackwater, permit fees used to be about 10 dollars and no count towards state bag limit, plenty of room to avoid a crowd and more BP lottery opportunity. Maps-acreage different habitat, Might even be able to leave a stand in place too these days. Take a buddy if you decide to go way back in.

Its an invasive/management success story for guys that are interested.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    I think they where completely eradicated but could come back possibly?

Ive heard there is a tiny wild boar population in Western MD although Ive never seen anything or read anything about it recently

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Yeah I’ve been hunting Nanticoke the last few years. No luck so far. Too cold+snow this past year so I didn’t go and the year before got a blizzard on the 2nd day and gave up after 3hrs of trudging through 40mph winds and 1+” of snow an hour. Just missed a chance at a Sika hind in the blizzard.

My neighbor got a hind a few years ago. Late gun season trip for me every year if I can.
    I hunt down in muddyhole, you familiar with that area? We have a mix of whitetail and sika that come thru the hunting property. Kinda goes in waves on what you see more of each year

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I hunt down in muddyhole, you familiar with that area? We have a mix of whitetail and sika that come thru the hunting property. Kinda goes in waves on what you see more of each year

I haven’t been there before. Is that in dorchester? I’ve hunted Nanticoke a couple of times and like it even though I haven’t had success (I’ve come close a few times).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom