• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I would be curious how they would react once I apply for the permit since I'm profoundly deaf.

Once I have completed everything for the permit, Could they just flat-out deny me based on the policy by the MSP?

How long of a delay are you willing to endure while they try to figure out the interpreter, if you use ASL? Sign language interpreting services for Maryland, click the "see here" link for all the options available under the state contract.

Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    What kind of gun are you carrying?
    Seriously?
    If you don’t have a permit yet you’re not carrying anything (is it a trick questions?). If you do have a permit, what difference does it make if you have a super redhawk strapped to your leg or a mouse gun in your pocket?

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range was not an acceptable answer.

Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    My interview started at 0955 am, and I was out the door at 1005. I think it just depends on how / why you are applying. For mine, it was clearance / opm breach, so there was nothing to talk about. My investigator didnt even address my G&S. She quickly asked the standard cookie cutter questions and noted that she had to talk to my wife. Called her that same day and boom , passed the process up to Pikesville.

BBGO-stokes

Jun 30, 2019
    DMV Area
    I have my appointment for interview tomorrow morning. Just wondering if anyone has insight as to what this process consists of, types of info they seek etc? Wanna be prepared. Thanks in advance.
    My advise: 1. Be truthful; 2. Don't lie; and 3. Be able to support all the information you provided.

Good luck

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I would be curious how they would react once I apply for the permit since I'm profoundly deaf.

Once I have completed everything for the permit, Could they just flat-out deny me based on the policy by the MSP?

unless you are prohibited you will not be denied, you could be found not qualified though which means no permit.

Dragonchef

Dec 17, 2016
    Wear and Carry

In Maryland is it true you need a specific reason to legitimately carry, unlike some other states that let Joe Citizen carry without reason as long as said JC isn't a psychological risk of going postal?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    In Maryland is it true you need a specific reason to legitimately carry, unlike some other states that let Joe Citizen carry without reason as long as said JC isn't a psychological risk of going postal?

I would beg to duffer in only one portion of your comment . No such thing as carrying without a reason .
    A life and God given right should be the only reason you need . If someone don't believe in guns and don't want to carry then don't carry , you want to then please do.
    That should be the norm IMHO .:thumbsup:

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County

Yes. -->Has a good and substantial reason​ to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against danger.

Dragonchef

Dec 17, 2016
    Yes. -->Has a good and substantial reason​ to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against danger.
    So, "finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against danger" is good enough for the MSP to qualify you for a CC license?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    No no no... Other than a provable threat of bodily harm, it must be to protect large sums of money

No. You can get your permit if - among other things - you own run a very, very small business. And no, it's not about protecting the money. That's not a legal use of lethal force in Maryland. You can only protect life.

Regardless, the "large sums" thing is very incorrect.

mic

Jan 30, 2014
    Sptifire, I'm right behind ya. Application accepted on November 26th... Crickets...

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    The size of your business is not the issue. You are protecting yourself. Now the question is protecting yourself from what? Being robbed!!! (In the absence of a "provable" existing threat.) = It's all about the money.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    The size of your business is not the issue. You are protecting yourself. Now the question is protecting yourself from what? Being robbed!!! (In the absence of a "provable" existing threat.) = It's all about the money.

I don't know where this comes from, other than MSP asking for bank statements to verify the business is legitimate and operating.

I have my MD permit as a business owner and real estate agent, and carrying money/cash had nothing to do with my ability to get the permit. It doesn't hurt your cause, but it's completely false that you need to carry large sums of money, or any money for that matter, to get your permit to carry a handgun in MD.

Jan 7, 2020
    My interview started at 0955 am, and I was out the door at 1005. I think it just depends on how / why you are applying. For mine, it was clearance / opm breach, so there was nothing to talk about. My investigator didnt even address my G&S. She quickly asked the standard cookie cutter questions and noted that she had to talk to my wife. Called her that same day and boom , passed the process up to Pikesville.

I've heard that the being affected by the OPM Breach was one of the 'good and substantial' reasons you could use... but can it be the only one you need? Does active/inactive clearance status make a difference? :shocked4:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    No. You can get your permit if - among other things - you own run a very, very small business. And no, it's not about protecting the money. That's not a legal use of lethal force in Maryland. You can only protect life.

Regardless, the "large sums" thing is very incorrect.

After looking after my bank statements and seeing a three week period that my deposits were electronic she asked me “How can we give you a permit when there is no cash deposits for periods of time?”
    I had to show my CC statement showing the cash payments to that.
    I’m not trying to be offensive ocean but ... true story!

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    After looking after my bank statements and seeing a three week period that my deposits were electronic she asked me “How can we give you a permit when there is no cash deposits for periods of time?”
    I had to show my CC statement showing the cash payments to that.
    I’m not trying to be offensive ocean but ... true story!

I believe there is a great deal of interpretation and misinterpretation of both law and internal policy in this part of the MSP. My process was long and arduous but professionalism and politeness still rules the day. I had an appeal at Pikesville and the case investigator told me I was the most squared away and prepared appeal he had seen in his long tenure in that assignment.

IOW, do your homework if you get denied, get a lawyer if you feel it prudent. I was being denied based on a misinterpretation of definition. They didn't think that federal po-po counted as the police allowance for W&C permits.

The local guy that did my face-to-face was ok up to the point he started to insult me. I thought it was part of the process so played it cool and smiled. I haven't spoken with too many people who've had that experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom