• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunt4Food

Jan 29, 2013
    Tall Timbers
    I've been warned that Dillon has become much more difficult to deal with since the old man died. I've had two instances that I need tech help with parts. the first I let slide, The last I will let you decide where they are headed, please read below the CHAT between myself and Mike from Dillon....

Mike
    Tech Support

Mike

Hello

the 45 acp funnel on my 550 has developed these vertical streaks and it's be come much more difficult to cycle the press. I removed the funnel and polished it on my drill press with steel wool, it helped, but the streaks returned shortly. it is also leaving streaks inside of the casing.

How are you cleaning your brass and are you using case lube?

Cleaning with SS pins and using Hornaday hot shot

Well, the cause of the problem is the SS pins which over clean the brass, and Hot Shot is the worst lube that you can use. It is just going to continue to get worse not matter what you do as long as you clean that brass with SS pins and use Hot Shot.

ah, I've been using SS pins and hot shot for years, I reload 9mm, .40 and 38 spcl an never had any issue

You've been very lucky.

wow

15K rnds and I'm lucky?

and only 45 acp is the issue?

It's all brass, primarily because manufacturers changed the formulation of the brass, removing lead from the alloy mix. The lead in the older brass acted like a natural lubricant.

LOL are you serious?

Yes, I am.

that's the worst excuse I've ever heard

I have several thousand dollars of Dillon reloading, I think you guys have just turned a corner in the wrong direction, The old man died, so now it squeeze the customers. quick way to ruin a business.

How are we at fault for choices you made?

you're right, Dillon was a bad choice.

Gotta post this conversation on MDshooters.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

no, you haven't helped me or your company.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I have never had anything but the best service when calling for tech support. They have sent me numerous parts, alignment tools, etc for free and no questions asked. Even completely replaced one of my powder alarms because it was not working correctly and an old version.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I've encountered the same issue in my powder through expander. It is attributed, in my case to two separate things when it happens: 1) loading several thousand Berry's plated bullets - they would leave some of the plating inside the case walls that wasn't removed during dry tumbling; 2) Very clean brass with SS pins (or new) also has the same effect. That layer of carbon inside the case actually lubricates the expander. The SS pins remove it. If my funnel starts to stick due to copper streaks, I take off the powder measure and polish off the copper buildup with a scotch brite pad.

I didn't need to torment the Dillon support team with it though.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Yeah, I have the same issue with using steel pins to clean 45 Auto brass. It hasn’t been a problem with case life or accuracy, so I haven’t done anything about it.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I busted some de-capping pins on my .223 die and called to order a few extra and some case lube since I had a gift card.

When the tally came up it was around $52 for the total. I laughed and told him I would have to put the balance on my credit card since I had a $50 gift card. He adjusted some prices until he got me below the $50.

I'm still happy with their customer service.

And, yes lots of people I know who wet tumble their brass have had issues with the brass being "too clean".

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I busted some de-capping pins on my .223 die and called to order a few extra and some case lube since I had a gift card.

When the tally came up it was around $52 for the total. I laughed and told him I would have to put the balance on my credit card since I had a $50 gift card. He adjusted some prices until he got me below the $50.

I'm still happy with their customer service.

And, yes lots of people I know who wet tumble their brass have had issues with the brass being "too clean".

I’ve never had that problem, but after I wet tumble and size, I tumble in walnut media with Nu-Finish ( so it stays shiny - yes I’m the Liberace of reloading). Maybe that makes the difference.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I’ve never had that problem, but after I wet tumble and size, I tumble in walnut media with Nu-Finish ( so it stays shiny - yes I’m the Liberace of reloading). Maybe that makes the difference.

It does. Several of my friends who wet tumble throw them back in a tumbler with corncob media and whatever case polishing media they use. It adds a bit of "slick" back to the brass.

Another friend wet tumbles but uses Lyman case cleaner instead of dawn detergent and he says that he doesn't have to run them through the tumbler any more. His thought is that the dawn just strips everything off the brass.

I tried the wet tumbling and liked the results. I just don't have the room, or the time, to justify the extra steps for wet tumbling. I have 4 tumblers I run at the same time with corn cob media and case polish. I can do a larger quantity than wet tumbling in a shorter time.

No lie though, that wet tumbling does make that brass look brand new again!!!

hoppes-no9

Nov 17, 2014
    I have several thousand dollars of Dillon reloading, I think you guys have just turned a corner in the wrong direction, The old man died, so now it squeeze the customers. quick way to ruin a business.

Wow, you come across as an absolute joy to deal with.

You don’t want to believe what the Dillon guy tells you, which has been corroborated as completely accurate by others here, and THIS is how you respond to him?

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Some just don't like the truth. If you don't, do not ask me, I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but I'm not going to tell you what YOU want to hear I always tell the truth.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Some just don't like the truth. If you don't, do not ask me, I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but I'm not going to tell you what YOU want to hear I always tell the truth.

I agree 100%! Some have described me as being brutally honest, while others just say I'm an arsehole!

Even told one of my daughters that she should not breed. LOL:innocent0

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I believe in Irish Diplomacy.

It is possible you can tell a person to go to hell and have them looking forward to the trip.

Now every CS phone answerer can't have all the information, answers or authority to rectify your situation so you can always as to escalate the call to their Tier 2 support or supervisor and you can do it politely instead of demanding it like some "Karen".

Dillion CS has always been a great CS with their no BS policy on all their presses including my 550. When I broke something out of my own stupidity and called to order a replacement, they didn't charge me and even sent their video on the 550 for free.

You can speak all the "truth" you want but most of us don't abide with rudeness and will not suffer abuse from your self-righteousness and assholic behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom