Did Someone Say 3 Gun At the AGC on January 12th?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    To be perfectly honest, there is a 90% chance of snow/rain on Saturday. If the forecast doesn't change in the next 18 hours, then there will be a 100% chance that the match gets cancelled. It sucks, but better to be safe than sorry when you are playing with firesticks.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ugh, I am so disappointed about the probability of this getting cancelled again. Had a proper 3 gun belt rig and everything built out for it.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I am new to 3 gun competitions and really want to do one

But I have questions. If these are answered in the thread I apologize. I swear I looked first

When you guys run them at the AGC are they open to non members as guests by themselves? (As in...I didn't come with a member as their guest. Just me.)

How many pistol/rifle/shotgun targets? What kind of distances?

How much of each kind of ammunition is needed to run through the course? (Assuming you're a decent shot and actually hit targets)

Are targets scored as hit or miss? Meaning you don't have to hit center mass, you just have to hit the target somewhere. Or does precision accuracy matter?

Is it a timed event where missed targets add to your total time? In other words what is the scoring? How do you win?

I used to run drills like this all the time in my younger military days. So I know I would love it. I just want to show up prepared (if it ever stops raining)

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I am new to 3 gun competitions and really want to do one

But I have questions. If these are answered in the thread I apologize. I swear I looked first

When you guys run them at the AGC are they open to non members as guests by themselves? (As in...I didn't come with a member as their guest. Just me.)

How many pistol/rifle/shotgun targets? What kind of distances?

How much of each kind of ammunition is needed to run through the course? (Assuming you're a decent shot and actually hit targets)

Are targets scored as hit or miss? Meaning you don't have to hit center mass, you just have to hit the target somewhere. Or does precision accuracy matter?

Is it a timed event where missed targets add to your total time? In other words what is the scoring? How do you win?

I used to run drills like this all the time in my younger military days. So I know I would love it. I just want to show up prepared (if it ever stops raining)

Non AGC Range Badge Holders are welcome, however you pay $20 instead of $10

-There are a lot of targets, typically of all different sizes, shapes and distances (7 to 75 yards)

-Ammunition - typically 50-75 of pistol, rifle, and shotgun, as well as 4-5 slugs

-You are running against the timer - Your score is based on your raw time, plus penalties for any targets missed or not engaged

-Don't worry about winning for a few years

Get yourself added to our email list by visiting the following link

https://associatedgunclubs.org/action_shooting/

Action Shooting Calendar
    https://associatedgunclubs.org/acti...ploads/2019/10/2020-Shooting-Bay-Schedule.pdf

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Time plus is where you add how long it took to shoot the match and add in the additional penalties and that is the score.

Time plus factored breaks each stage down into stage points. It is the time plus penalties. The fastest time for the match becomes 100 percent and every other time is a percentage of that. You add stage scores to determine the winner.

The second scoring model basically keeps a single stage from determining the match. I shot a 3 gun match with an exceptionally long range stage. A PRS shooter cleaned the stage so fast (and everyone else had so many penalties) that despite being mediocre at best for the rest of the match, he won the match. Same for the reverse. If your pistol goes down on a stage and you have 10 pistol targets that you can’t engage you could win every other stage and still finish last place using straight time plus.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I don't even know what that means.

Here are the rules that we use

https://h9a5z8b6.stackpathcdn.com/w...8/10/Mid-Atlantic-Rules-version-2.23.2017.pdf

That is not covered in the rules apparently. I think it has to do with how you set it up in PractiScore.

From the way the September match looks you use straight time plus. It may be something to think about. Like I said, York and the now dead FN match used Tim plus factored. PractiScore may call it something else.

Reading the scoring does raise another question. Do you use Blue Ridge scoring (2 hits in A or B) or FN scoring (2 anywhere or 2 A)?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Time plus is where you add how long it took to shoot the match and add in the additional penalties and that is the score.

Time plus factored breaks each stage down into stage points. It is the time plus penalties. The fastest time for the match becomes 100 percent and every other time is a percentage of that. You add stage scores to determine the winner.

The second scoring model basically keeps a single stage from determining the match. I shot a 3 gun match with an exceptionally long range stage. A PRS shooter cleaned the stage so fast (and everyone else had so many penalties) that despite being mediocre at best for the rest of the match, he won the match. Same for the reverse. If your pistol goes down on a stage and you have 10 pistol targets that you can’t engage you could win every other stage and still finish last place using straight time plus.

I gotcha. I have shot in Time Plus Factored matches. That said, I never understood what it was all about. Our matches are simply Time Plus.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    That is not covered in the rules apparently. I think it has to do with how you set it up in PractiScore.

From the way the September match looks you use straight time plus. It may be something to think about. Like I said, York and the now dead FN match used Tim plus factored. PractiScore may call it something else.

Reading the scoring does raise another question. Do you use Blue Ridge scoring (2 hits in A or B) or FN scoring (2 anywhere or 2 A)?

FN

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    -Ammunition - typically 50-75 of pistol, rifle, and shotgun, as well as 4-5 slugs

50-75 total shots? Or 50-75 from each gun?

-Don't worry about winning for a few years

I have what you call....confidence.

Anyway thanks for the write up. That clarifies a lot. This does feel like a very welcoming bunch of folks.

I will be at one this year.

How many shooters do you typically have in a competition?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

Anyway thanks for the write up. That clarifies a lot. This does feel like a very welcoming bunch of folks.

-50-75 each gun

-your gonna need more than confidence - Equipment, experience, planning, and shooting well under stress are the keys to success

-We had 42 registered for this Sundays match. I suspect we will be upwards of 60 come spring and summer.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

If you haven't done any competitive action shooting recently, a Steel Challenge event (like the one at AGC 2/1...weather depending :fingerscrossed:) would be a great warm up to 3gun. It's also a heck of a lot of fun in its own right. ;)

Also, check out this:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=240375

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom