• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have been prepping brass like crazy getting ready to make up a bunch of 223. I have some plinking surplus 55gr FMJ from Widenes, Nosler Varminter (black plastic tip) and 69gr Sierra SMK

I have an assortment of brass and thought I'd weigh the prepped and primmed cases just to see. Below is the brass plus an average of 5 cases rounded up/down. I tend to seperate the brass and reload them grouped together. Up until now, I have only used LC for my 69smk.

LC 95gr
    Geco 102.5
    Perfecta 102
    PMC 96
    Wolf 99
    FC 96
    PSD 96

Now that I notice that Perfecta and Geco are much heavier than the others, I'll be curious to know why. Thicker? more brass at the base? Wonder how it would affect the POI one 96gr case shot vs a 102gr case with the same bullet and load?

What say the MDS brain trust?

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Thicker brass can lead to higher pressures. Work a thin piece up to max, thick piece might blow a primer. It's really internal volume that matters, but weight is a good indication of volume

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    First thing that comes to my mind is that the Perfecta and Geco may be European manufactured so there could be slight differences in the rim width/ extractor groove. The second is how many times they have been trimmed/prepped. Even with that they seem surprisingly relatively close for weight which really doesn't mean anything except taking into consideration of internal volume above when you reload them when using a near max starting charge.
    I do not hand-load a ton of 223/556 but when I did it was always once fired from the same rifle till they wore out. LC was the manufacture and it was just enough to barely work the action.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    All this brass was reloaded 1-2 times. I have plenty of 223 and up until this year, did not shoot alot of it. I had snagged up lots of 223 back when ammo was expensive and it sat around in a big plastic bin. I was swaging primer pockets after the factory firing then labeling the ones from reloads so I would not need to swage. I found the Geco and Aguila really needed swaging. Some of the others did not expecially perfecta. None of my reloads are up high on the load ranges.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Because of the type of shooting I get myself primarily involved in I rarely ever approach maximum loads either. Some are close but not to the point I have to become overly concerned with internal volume of brass cases to its at the point it becomes a critical safety measure for a rifle.
    I do however find significant difference in the methods used to control other aspects of shooting that are more important to me than I can always repeat with hand loading cartridges to the nth degree of absolute repetitiveness.
    It is all very interesting to me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom