• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Should be picking up my new Savage rifle soon.

It's a Savage 11 FCNS in .308 It has the Accu-stock and trigger.

Looking for a complete scope package for this rifle including a base and rings.

The rifle is going to be used for hunting and also target shooting. I was thinking a 10 or 12X scope. Does this seem like enough magnification for hunting between 50-200 yards? My issue is there are literally hundreds of scope options.

I'm looking to spend less then 300 for the scope and hopefully not much more on the mount/rings.

What are some good scope is this range?

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Well sir, you present a very good question. anything over 4x is overkill until you get to REALLY long ranges. I opted for a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 for my Savage and I like it a lot. It sits in DNZ Game Reaper one piece base/rings and they're rock solid.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=143242

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=144816

Just be aware that Savage rifles can have either flat or round receivers. It's very commonly an overlooked detail.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Do you plan on hunting deer with it ?

I use a Leupold 3-9 X 40 VXII on my 30-06, for deer without issue. Ive folded deer out to 300 yards - the magnification you are looking at is plenty.

Sometimes too much magnification can be a pain -especially if you are hunting brush, or deep hardwoods. If your in that situtaion, turning down the power will help you at times.

As far as brands, Ive been totally happy with all 3 Leupold VXII scopes. The adjustment clicks are fine - each click is 1/8 of an inch as opposed 1/4 found on alot of scopes. There covered by lifetime warranty to boot.

For mounts - Leupolds mounts are rock solid, and never move,even on high recoil rounds. I have been very pleased with those too.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    look at the nikon buckmaster series. Decent scopes for the money. If you can work with a 3x-9x, I agree with Deep Creek Rock...the vx-II would be my choice in that price range.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    +1 on the Nikon, here's a 3x9 Prostaff on my Savage 116. The factory savage rings have worked well on my 270.
    It's a nice scope for the money, but I'll admit, I've never been the type of person to spend more on the glass than on the gun, that Prostaff ran me about $130.

gunsafe11-9012.jpg

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    Cant go wrong with Nikon, Leupold, or Sightron. I'd even look at some of the Burris scopes. A 3-9x40 would be a good choice. As for mounts for the Savage EGW (Evolution Gun Works builds a real nice mount. The rings I like to use are the Burris Signature Zee rings. They have poly inserts and have worked well for me over the years.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Huge magnification doesn't make you shoot any better. Lower magnification will generally give better field of view, and more forgiving eye relief ( good things) . 3-9x only because it is so prevalent. 2-7x even better. For the Old School and proud of it , a Weaver K4 is what everything else is compared against.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    This is a very hard question to answer but this is how I have my stuff set up.

Because most of my hunting is in brush (woods and thickets). I hunt with shot guns or muzzle loaders. These guns are either very low magnification (1x7) or open sights. I feel that higher magnification narrows your field of view in this setting. I do take with my a 30/06 with a 3x9 for those times I can hunt in the open.

As for my target rifles I like magnification as high as I can hold steady on the target. 6X24 is what I tend to use but find anything higher then 20x shacks too much for me.

It all depends on what works best for you and what you wallet is can handle.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Dont skimp on your mounts.

I like Leupolds set up. The base of the bottom half of the rings are not bolted or clamped on a rail, they are compression fit, and locked into place by the rear mount screw on the sides. The bottom ring halves install through a "Keyhole" ,and have to be turned 180 degrees to lock them in. You technically need a special wrench to turn them, but I use a 1" diameter dowel rod,a few feet long, and mount the top half of the ring on to it, and it turns into place without issues. You can save the dowel rod for a wood shampoo.

The Leupold mounts are very rugged, and they will not come loose out of the base! They also come in Blued/black. Just make sure you get the bases for your particular rifle. Also get a tube of Locktite purple for your mounting screws.

Here is a pic of my set up on my 06'

Attachments

• 700Leupoldmts.jpg
      700Leupoldmts.jpg
      63.8 KB · Views: 327
    Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    I've got a set of NIB Talley rings + bases that I've been meaning to send back to Midway if you are interested in them. They are mediums for a 1" tube and would probably fit up to a 44mm objective.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/72...-110-through-116-round-rear-axis-matte-medium
    They aren't top of the line, but the taller ones that I have have been good so far to me. I needed something inexpensive to get me on paper until I get some good glass and a couple moa base.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I think I'll pass on the mounts...thanks though I made up my mind on mount/bases.

Is a 50 objective lense better then 40 or is it a preference thing?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Dont skimp on your mounts.

I like Leupolds set up. The base of the bottom half of the rings are not bolted or clamped on a rail, they are compression fit, and locked into place by the rear mount screw on the sides. The bottom ring halves install through a "Keyhole" ,and have to be turned 180 degrees to lock them in. You technically need a special wrench to turn them, but I use a 1" diameter dowel rod,a few feet long, and mount the top half of the ring on to it, and it turns into place without issues. You can save the dowel rod for a wood shampoo.

The Leupold mounts are very rugged, and they will not come loose out of the base! They also come in Blued/black. Just make sure you get the bases for your particular rifle. Also get a tube of Locktite purple for your mounting screws.

Here is a pic of my set up on my 06'
    Just be sure to use that ring alignment tool with them to avoid torquing your scope. Couldn't hurt to lap them a little for better engagement either. I personally like the DNZ game reaper mounts for something user friendly and fairly inexpensive that don't need the rings aligned and have good engagement out of the box. If you want the leupold I like the dual dovetail design better than the standard base. Seems more solid, although you lose the ability to adjust windage from the rear base to keep the scope nuetral unless shims or other methods are used.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Is more light a good thing?

I know that sounds silly but in the woods do you want more light or not?

you always want more light if you can....but larger objectives mean a larger height over bore to deal with, also a potentially uncomfortable cheekweld. Higher quality glass/coatings of the more expensive scopes can still mean a very bright picture, even if they're a 40mm objective instead of a 50. Brightness will be a big help around dawn or dusk. Imagine seeing a big buck in front of you about 50 yards away clear as day with your naked eyes, but nothing but a grey blur through a scope....could be frustrating.

Is more light a good thing?

I know that sounds silly but in the woods do you want more light or not?

Yes, more light is a good thing, especially in the woods. In the woods you will also appreciate a heavy reticle, heavy duplex or German.

Sometimes in a field, you'll luck out and the deer will be standing on some light colored ground. That contrast really helps. You don't see that much in the woods, plus you lose the ambient light brightness faster.

Yes, a 50mm sightline is a bit more over the bore. Mine stands at 1.8 inches, but it does not hurt my cheek weld.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Just got the extra pennies together to finally get this packaged together.

Ordered a VXII 3-9x40 Leupold and EGW base.

Chad stated in a PM it's probably best to match up rings when it gets mounted/bore sighted and I wasnt sure if Med or High rings were needed so I decided to wait to get the rings.

I decided I had a lot of "unfinished" guns in the safe that I needed to get sorted before buying any other guns....so hopefully this gets me back on track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom