• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Newbie question. I searched, but maybe not hard enough, for an answer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

As a MD resident, valid FFL C&R holder, I am going to a PA gun show to look for C&R eligible German WWII era pistols to collect. According to what I read on the web, and after speaking to some PA gun owners, there is a PA law that prohibits handgun sales to non-residents of PA. However, I'm a FFL C&R, so that should allow the transfer.

Has anyone done this? Can the transfer occur hand-to-hand at the show? Or, must the seller abide by the PA 48 hour waiting period and then ship the pistol to me in MD? Or, must I abide by the PA waiting period and then travel back to PA to pick up the pistol?

I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    I asked at the dulles show first - do you take c&r, if they did I handed that first before the ID. Then I walked out with it. I asked at the pa show today but the gun i wanted wasnt c&r yet. When I declined to buy he asked why and he then said he understood. So I doubt it would be an issue.

By the way the show was packed. A few mosin's for around 100-125 I noticed.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.
    (a) Time and manner of delivery.
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), no
    seller shall deliver a firearm to the purchaser or
    transferee thereof until 48 hour shall have
    elapsed from the time of the application for the
    purchase thereof, and, when delivered, the firearm
    shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded.
    (2) Thirty days after publication in the Pennsylvania
    Bulletin that the Instantaneous Criminal
    History Records Check System has been established
    in accordance with the Brady Handgun
    Violence Prevention Act (Public Law 103-159,
    18 U.S.C. 921 et seq.), no seller shall deliver a
    firearm to the purchaser thereof until the provisions
    of this section have been satisfied, and,
    when delivered, the firearm shall be securely
    wrapped and shall be unloaded.
    (b) Duty of seller. No licensed importer, licensed
    manufacturer or licensed dealer shall
    sell or deliver any firearm to another person, other
    than
    a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer,
    licensed dealer or licensed collector, until
    the conditions of subsection (a) have been satisfied
    and until he has:
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/26thedition/pennsylvania.pdf
    It looks as if you are exempt from the requirements because you are a licensed collector, but I am not a lawyer.

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    PA 48 hour waiting period

No 48 hour wait that I am aware of for state residents, I picked up a long-gun from PA about 7 months ago and a PA resident walked in, looked around the store and purchased 2 handguns and signed the ATF form and walked out 5 min later.

and if I was you I would go to PA have a good time, and yes I know people that have purchased stuff with their C&R in PA and have not had any problems

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Thanks! The C&R got me a P38 Walther, numbers matching in VG shape in Harrisburg this past weekend without any problem!

SWEET!! I have one too. they are great guns but somewhat ammo particular. Does the magazine match? All the numbers in my gun match except the mag. Does yours have import marks or was it a GI bringback?

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Thanks coinboy! Yep, it's all numbers matching except for the mag. However, I found a guy on the P38 forum yesterday that had the correct mag for my P38 and I had the correct mag for his. So, that was pure luck. We're working out the details on the swap now. Mine is a 2nd variation '42 model, which wasn't produced with a serial number on the mag, just P38 and the Eagle/359 waffenampt.

I have no import marks on mine at all. I tore it down and had some difficulty getting it all back together but figured it out with the web and my girlfriend helping out. I have no idea on the history of the pistol. I thought it was underpriced at $545 on the table and assumed it was not numbers matching until my girlfriend inquired. Needless to say, they're both keepers!

I picked up a box of Fiocchi 9mm 115gr ammo at the show as well. One guy on the P38 forum shoots it routinely and says he has no problems with it. I also had Duffy's Gunsmith check it out today and all looks good. Looking forward to shooting it this weekend depending on the weather.

I also had Duffy's check the headspace on the K98 I got from ClassicArms.us last month and it passed. We'll see how that shoots once I find a cushion to tame the recoil. I'd like to plink for a while!

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Thanks coinboy! Yep, it's all numbers matching except for the mag. However, I found a guy on the P38 forum yesterday that had the correct mag for my P38 and I had the correct mag for his. So, that was pure luck. We're working out the details on the swap now. Mine is a 2nd variation '42 model, which wasn't produced with a serial number on the mag, just P38 and the Eagle/359 waffenampt.

I have no import marks on mine at all. I tore it down and had some difficulty getting it all back together but figured it out with the web and my girlfriend helping out. I have no idea on the history of the pistol. I thought it was underpriced at $545 on the table and assumed it was not numbers matching until my girlfriend inquired. Needless to say, they're both keepers!

I picked up a box of Fiocchi 9mm 115gr ammo at the show as well. One guy on the P38 forum shoots it routinely and says he has no problems with it. I also had Duffy's Gunsmith check it out today and all looks good. Looking forward to shooting it this weekend depending on the weather.

I also had Duffy's check the headspace on the K98 I got from ClassicArms.us last month and it passed. We'll see how that shoots once I find a cushion to tame the recoil. I'd like to plink for a while!

That is a great deal especially without the import marks. Most of the P38's running in that price range are import marked. That is amazing you found the right mag. You're a lucky dog! Winchester white box shoots great out of my Walther P38. Try and avoid Remmington at all cost unless you want a jam-o-matic.

Is your gun actually a Walter or is it another manufacturer? If its a true Walther it will have an AC code. Spreewerk is code cyq. Mauser is bfy. These codes will be right near the date. Such as AC 42. This would mean this particular gun was made in 1942 by Walther.

Here is some good history if you wish to read about it.
    http://www.gunsworld.com/walther/p38_hist_us.html

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Thanks man! I did learn I got a heck of a deal after tearing it apart and looking at other pics on the net to see if everything truly matched. It is an ac42 all things check out. I feel real lucky to have it!

While I was at the Harrisburg show, I picked up a box of Fiocchi 115 gr 9mm Luger rounds before doing any research on them. Turns out some people over at the P38 forum love the Fiocchi's and now so do I. I went to the Hap Baker range in Westminster and shot half a box. Tight grouping at around 30'!

I also took my K98 and had a tight grouping at 25 yards but couldn't hit my paper plate target at 50 yards and I shot Expert in the Army, so don't know what happened there. Had a few typical misfires on the Romanian ammo but overall I'm very happy with the rifle, too. Refinished the stock myself with hot water and simple green over a few days then 0000 steel wool and Tung Oil. Love it!

Here's a pic of the P38:
    p38a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom