• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I keep a knife clipped up high in case I need to cut my waders off.
    I've been sick about these guys drowning, my son and I were out duck hunting on our little Jon boat last week. If you did go over in a little boat, I think you'd almost be better off towing the overboard guy the 100 yards to shore if he was wearing a PFD. No way you can get someone bulky back in the boat without swamping it.

May they rest in peace.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    16ft jon boat....25-35mph winds..........easily avoidable.

This area is known to be nasty in a Northwest wind. It is on the southwest shore of Round Bay, where the river narrows significantly coming south out of Round Bay. Funnels the wind into a narrow space and makes for some rough water conditions.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My son's age.
    That explains their exuberance for taking the boat out in that weather. My son is a very smart kid but has that same sense of adventure. We were talking about this last night and his comment was something to the effect of "well its duck weather."

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Round Bay in those conditions in a 14' jon boat demands a life jacket, even for me and I have spent as much time in or on the water as on dry land... it's just foolhardy, not that I've not done some foolhardy things, but.... surviving is paramount.. and as cold as the water is, you have very little time before you're done.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    My daughter just reminded me that she went to Prom with them and I have a pic of them all standing in front of Limo. Sad one of the young men had 3 kids and one of them was 4 months old. Real Sad:sad20:

is there a younger brother still at the school?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hypothermia guaranteed. No way to live through submersion at those temps.Especially true this time of year.Great suggestion. This will make recovery of your body easier, lets the rescue folks go home sooner, but if you go overboard this time of year in normal (non-diver) clothing, you are doomed.

I used to be an outfitter in the early 80s and ran sea duck hunts in January out on the Chester River. Air temps in the teens & twenties, water temps in the 30s-40s. The DNR guys would check on us a couple times a day, and warned us with genuine concern that if we went over, even for a few seconds, nothing could save us. I don't think they ever checked our licenses...

While it would suck, you have a lot more than seconds. Just depends on what physical condition you are in and rescue ability. In near freezing water, with self rescue you'd have about 2-4 minutes as a healthy adult before you'd be non-functional and you'd need immediate access to dry warm clothing and/or ability to be taken in to a warm environment. For someone rescuing you, you'd have anything from 5-45 minutes depending on your physical condition.

This is also assuming you are wearing a PFD. No PFD and the times go down a lot (because treading water greatly increases heat loss as well as not being able to physically tread water after a few minutes and you drowning).

But of course with air temps that cold and probably no access to warm dry clothes once you got out, you have a strong likelihood of being screwed even if you only fall in for a few seconds. A dry bag with swear pants, a sweat shirt and a windbreaker in your boat is not a bad idea. Can be used as a secondary floatation device and also something to change in to if you do become wet.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    I use a selfinflating cheststrap type PDF. Its a twofer. Sad to say I have had to use it when I tripped in 2 1/2 feet of water and my legs being full of air meant I couldn't stand back up. I had to pull my cord and backstroke to shore. ALWAYS wear a PDF.

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    Very unfortunate. I think sometimes its easy for some folks to get complacent because many of the areas we frequent are not "remote".

_JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    Just awful for all involved, I can't imagine being the buddy who got dropped off at the dock. Things change on a dime on the water, and in the winter there's so many other factors that compound that.

Does anyone make a duckhunting dry-suit ?
    http://predatorgear.com/
    If i had a spare grand laying around I'd definitely pick one up just to use for waterfowling and late season/early season kayaking.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    That's pretty cool. I might get one of those for fishing in cold water. But I'd never hunt in a huge orange suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom