• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Slide was painted with Gun Kote 2 weeks ago. I finally got around to rebluing the small parts last night. I'm not happy with the blue. It's not dark enough for my tastes. With the camera flash, it's pretty light. The reassembly took about 4 hours. Not fun, but it functions correctly. Time to take it to the range.

I need to find replacement black grips for both of mine. They are beat up and need a clean look!

CZ_complete.jpg

Last edited:

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    Thanks all! Special thinks to PresentArms for use of his blaster for Gun Kote prep!

fftoot - Does MidwayUSA have the wrong picture posted? I hesitated buying it because it says CZ83 but looks like a CZ75 grip.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=986373
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=217741

Yeah the pic is wrong. I was hesitant on buying them, but they are the right ones. You may need to trim some material out of the inside of them up top where the back strap is to make them fit properly. All the trimming is inside and won't show.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Thanks all! Special thinks to PresentArms for use of his blaster for Gun Kote prep!

fftoot - Does MidwayUSA have the wrong picture posted? I hesitated buying it because it says CZ83 but looks like a CZ75 grip.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=986373
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=217741

the pic is wrong they are cz-83 grips when i looked them up in the master catalog. it will take a little trimming on the inside of the grips to make them fit. just dont be like me and scratch the new grips putting them on the day you get them :o

marcodelat

Mar 4, 2010
    Key Largo, Florida
    Slide was painted with Gun Kote 2 weeks ago.

CZ_complete.jpg

I realize that this is an old thread, but just had to ask this:

How does the Gun Kote finish compare with the original painted & baked finish on these guns?

What I mean is would doing just the slide with the Gun Kote for example, look good with the rest of the un-refinished pistol?

how about spraying Gun Kote over small spots of the original finish that are chipped?

... think this might work & look OK?

BTW - your pistol's finish looks GREAT... can't tell from factory finish in this pic.

Thanks

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Vette97 can speak better as to gunkote vs the factory finish. However, I know a guy that used Blue Wonder's Gun Black Pruduct to refinish his CZ82 as you described (full slide with spot coverups on the rest of the frame) and it came out really nice. Notice I said their gun black product, not their gun blue product. The gun blue would not be a close match.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    How does the Gun Kote finish compare with the original painted & baked finish on these guns?

Thanks for the question! The Gunkote I bought was gloss, and is nothing like the original finish, which appears to be satin. I decided on gloss black because I wanted it to look better than original. I'm not sure if Gunkote is available in satin, but if it was, you'd have to test it to be sure it was the same kind of satin. I believe the baking process in Gunkote removed any orange peel that was present after being sprayed and helped cure it to the metal. However, it's not as strong as original and can be chipped easier than the original finish. I've done it. I suggest you first try the Blue Wonder as bkraft suggested and see if that appeals to you. Small parts are blued, so a cold blue kit was used for them. Reassembling this thing is a real bear as there are pieces you need to assemble using a toothpick, putting the assembly in the gun, then use an original pin to push the toothpick out and hold everything. Then, there's the horribly designed sear spring (I believe) which has you pushing on the spring through a hole with a punch hoping you move it around enough to catch on a part. Give yourself 4 hours for the assembly minimum, not fun. I have 2 CZ82's and the other one is still scratched up, waiting for me to finally get all the frustration of the first reassembly out of my mind so I can torture myself again, haha!

It shoots great. I am personally very accurate with them as they fit my hands perfectly. Definitely worth the $200 for one!!

marcodelat

Mar 4, 2010
    Key Largo, Florida
    Thanks for the question! The Gunkote I bought was gloss, and is nothing like the original finish, which appears to be satin.

Sure looks like the original finish in the picture... however, maybe not so much"in person" :)

anyway, what I'm going for is something as close to original as possible... so guess there's some "research" ahead.

I believe the baking process in Gunkote removed any orange peel that was present after being sprayed and helped cure it to the metal.

You mean that on the gun pictured you sprayed over the original finish?

Anyway, sure looks smooth and even, as if it was stripped - if it was stripped, what did you use to strip the original chipped finish before re-spraying?

Small parts are blued, so a cold blue kit was used for them. Reassembling this thing is a real bear as there are pieces you need to assemble using a toothpick, putting the assembly in the gun, then use an original pin to push the toothpick out and hold everything.

Not a problem here... I do a lot of work on old Iver Johnson and H&R revolvers and these are notorious for being "a real bear" to put back together.

However, I have A LOT of patience, some tools... and YES toothpicks are indeed wonderful aids to assembling... push them in, break off the long parts and they will "hold your work"... most of the time anyway!

thanks for your time & help :thumbsup:

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    This was vette97's second post on this project. Dig back and you'll find his first one. That pistol was completely disassembled and stripped clean before any finish was applied. He did an incredible job.

I've been taking my project CZ apart and putting it back together trying to get everythign just how I want it. What vette says about the teardown is the truth. I've had mine apart three times now. Everythign is as I want it. All thats left is me to tear it down for the final time to strip and refinish and I've been dragging my feet :D

Go find his first thread, it's well worth the look. I still enjoy looking a these pics :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom