• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Can you imagine the excitement of finding it. One minute you are walking in the woods and the next you find an historic firearm. Gets me a little excited.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Man that is cool! I would love to stumble across a classic winchester somewhere. Can't imagine the owner would just not come back for it. Something must have happened to him.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Very cool! I have a similar '73 Winchester, my sister found it in the trash in front of an old house that was being renovated. It was wrapped in a blanket and most likely hidden under the porch and forgotten.

Attachments

• 1873.jpg
      1873.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 563

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Shipped out in 1882. There were still some Native American/Indian conflicts at this time, but don't know if Great Basin National Park would have been close to one. The 1873 was certainly popular with the Sioux and the Apache (which were in different geographic areas), so could have been adopted by other tribes. Wonder if it was forgotten by a tree, the owner was killed and somehow separated from the firearm, or a rifle might have been left near a burial. Really amazing find.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Some famous pictures of 1873 Winchesters from the same era that this gun was lost.

Billy the Kid in New Mexico

Billy_the_Kid_corrected.jpg

Geronimo in a final surrender negotiation with the U.S. (across the Arizona border in Mexico) ... Geronimo's son Chappo, second from the left, with an 1873 (Geronimo is on the far right) ...

Apache_chieff_Geronimo_(right)_and_his_warriors_in_1886.jpg

Geronimo frequently raided and killed "white eyes" (as the Apaches referred to them) in the Arizona territory to get cartridges for the Apache's beloved rifles, so they could return to Mexico and kill even more. Geronimo hated the Mexicans - they had killed his mother, first wife and kids - when he was a young warrior. Geronimo was photographed with a 50-caliber Springfield a few times, and is reported to have turned in an 1866 Winchester, 1876 Winchester, a Colt SAA, and Bowie knife upon his final surrender.

Buffalo Bill Cody

apr09_shooting_from_hip_250.jpg

Last edited:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    “The serial number on the lower tang corresponds in Winchester records held at the Center for the West at the Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming, with a manufacture and shipping date of 1882. But the detailed history of this rifle is as yet unknown.”

It's friggin' cool, that they were able to glean a serial number from it after so many years exposed to the elements.

I hope that somehow, someday, they're able to learn who the original purchaser was, and perhaps piece together the gun's history from there.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Judging by the furniture, it's been there a very long time. Incredible it didn't fall down and end up lost to history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom