• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Wow, lots of info here! I always assumed the frame was not a Colt part because it has no other marks and because the number looks like it is hand stamped. I will get some better pics tomorrow.

Get some REAL GOOD pics of the RIGHT side of frame as this may well tell us what we need to know. The slide no longer has any relavence at this point; it'll be brought back into play after we determine the frame's origin, if we can.

My eyes may be playing tricks on me, but it also looked like some very faint machining marks on the left side behind the trigger guard below the takedown lever too.

It's out of my depth of knowledge, so I can't make any guesses here. :)

Yes, there are machine marks from that grip front edge going forward to the guard with a cute li'l idiot scratch too.:lol2:

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    OP if you have a camera with a macro setting please take a pic of the area we are talking about and post it . Also around the left side of the trigger guard so we can see if there may have been some proofs buffed out .

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I kind of see what you're talking about , we need better pics . Nope pocket googly thing here I'm on a 17" laptop . I cropped it and lightened it a lil bit to highlight the lighter spots and edges .

OP if you have a camera with a macro setting please take a pic of the area we are talking about and post it . Also around the left side of the trigger guard so we can see if there may have been some proofs buffed out .

Now ya' see what I mean regarding the right side of frame.:thumbsup: I noticed that in the very first post (pics) without proceeding further in the thread. Your crop dusting thing starts to show me that there was nomenclature on the right side that was obliterated.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "If you can see that proof mark you described, your eyes are better than mine"

Zooming in on the original pic there seemed to be something, I couldn't tell for sure. This was before a member enhanced the image. In that image it appears to be machining marks but it still isn't clear. As one member indicates the serial number on the left side throws out a military Colt frame, I didn't have a chance to check the Poyer manual but I knew the very early guns had the serial number toward the front.

This frame is either altered or other manufacture/foreign copy.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    A little closer, this is as big as MDS will allow, if you would like to see the full size pics send me an email so you can see them on google+.

It does not appear that the right side has been milled or cut down enough to remove any markings. So who made basically unmarked lowers that long ago?

left.jpg

right.jpg

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Alright, this one's got me stumped; no markings OR removed markings on the right side of frame. My guess is that it's not U.S. made as somebody else pointed out that same possibility though that was in the back of my head last night. The font of the serial# makes it look early as does the frame being a 1911 and NOT a 1911-A1. The only foreign made 1911 (NOT 1911-A1) that comes to mind is the Norwegian Model 1914 and I can't be certain one way or another as I've only seen/handled a few of these in my years to recollect all the information stored in my gray matter. The Argentine/Colt Systemas weren't produced until 1927 IIRC and would (at least SHOULD) be of the 1911-A1 flavor though I'm not truly up on the foreign copies.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I think it has a Norwegian frame. The numbering on the frame seems to match the style and location used on the Norwegian 1914. The wear on the finish where the slide release is located also matches the Norwegian type slide release.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know this may not have any relevance, but has anyone noticed the front strap and the checkering? Most likely done later on but thought maybe would give a clue? or not. Hence the Hogue grip to cover up a mess probably.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I think it has a Norwegian frame. The numbering on the frame seems to match the style and location used on the Norwegian 1914. The wear on the finish where the slide release is located also matches the Norwegian type slide release.

Can anybody post up good clear pics of the left and right sides of a Norwegian Model 1914 so we can see all the markings in their designated locations??? At least this could rule out the M1914 if they don't match up (framewise that is).

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I know this may not have any relevance, but has anyone noticed the front strap and the checkering? Most likely done later on but thought maybe would give a clue? or not. Hence the Hogue grip to cover up a mess probably.

We pretty well almost certainly know this is a Frankengun but we're trying to follow it's geneology (sp) so to speak.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    If I had to take a guess I am going with Lou's quess that it is a Norwegian frame . All and all it seems to be a put together to look like a NM , I couldn't speculate as to the value .

Here is a pic of a Norwegian , serial number placement matches up .

Attachments

• ZAX2907-S-F1-H.jpg
      ZAX2907-S-F1-H.jpg
      24.3 KB · Views: 189
    Jul 1, 2012
    Here's both sides of a Kongsberg 1914 (this one is from 1945). Note the crown proof on the left trigger guard and no markings on right side. I'm not convinced the S/N font is correct on the OP frame but it doesn't really matter I suppose. If you look closely there appear to be some casting "bubbles" on the frame; my Kongsberg has similar flaws and machining. These were dirt cheap "back in the day" so it kind of makes sense to have used it for a build - not so much anymore.

Attachments

• DSCN5705.jpg
      DSCN5705.jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 193
    • DSCN5706.jpg
      DSCN5706.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 165
    Jul 1, 2012
    That is correct. The Sistema is a licensed copy of the 1927 configuration which is -A1. The "Sistema Colt Modelo 1927" actually started production in 1945. The earlier "Argentine Colts" were built by Colt in Hartford from commercial guns. Argentina had a long history with the 1911 dating back to 1914 IIRC, mostly smallish lots until the big purchase in 1927 that merited special dedicated S/N's that causes all the confusion with the DGFM Sistema's.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I would agree that the number placement matches the Norwegian style and if so it would be 1923 vintage. I haven't found any with numbers this low to see if they have the same hand stamped look as this one. One other clue is the numbered ejector. Seems just about every part is numbered on the Norwegian guns.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The Argentine guns are also serial numbered on the right side, behind the slide stop pin as with our 1911. No manufacturer mark. I would agree to a high probability of an early Norwegian gun. The OP's frame has a very similar frame grip safety tang profile to the Norway gun pictured just before this post.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Now we seem to be possibly zeroing in on something here. Another big question:
    Will U.S.G.I. 1911 parts interchange with the Norwegian M1914???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom