• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Has anyone told the geniuses there, that Maryland state law prohibits local jurisdictions from making up their own gun laws?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It isn't the City of Cumberland as the title of the news story makes it sound, it is the "The Canal Place Preservation and Development Authority."

http://www.canalplace.org/static.php?page=45

Here's your answer, O'Malley appointees.

§ 13-1005. Membership.

(a) Composition.- The Authority consists of:

(1) Six members appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate;

(2) One representative of the United States Department of the Interior, as designated by the Department of the Interior;

(3) One representative of the Maryland Historical Trust; and

(4) One representative of the Mayor and City Council of the City of Cumberland.

(b) Chairman.- The Governor shall designate one of the members of the Authority as chairman.

(c) Term.-

(1) The term of a member is 4 years.

(2) The terms of members appointed by the Governor are staggered as required by the terms of the members serving on July 1, 2001.

(3) At the end of a term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.

(4) A member who is appointed after a term has begun serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.

(5) At the end of the term of a member or on the resignation or removal of a member, the Governor shall appoint a member to the Authority with the advice and consent of the Senate.

(d) Removal.- The Governor may remove a nonfederal member for incompetence, misconduct, or failure to perform the duties of the position.

[1993, ch. 544; 1995, ch. 3, § 1; 2001, ch. 556.]

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This could be a great chance to affirm the states preemption rights ahead of McDonell.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    For some reason I thought western MD had more sense...:sad20:

The Federal Park ruling means you have to follow the laws of the state the park is in. I don't see what effect this would have.

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    The Federal Park ruling means you have to follow the laws of the state the park is in. I don't see what effect this would have.

Well, this is Maryland, so it wouldn't effect the normal law abiding citizens, but politicians and criminals wouldn't be able to carry there anymore.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Here's the new city motto: "Cumberland, the Detroit of Maryland".

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    it's startin to get to the point of just sayin fuggit and carrying. 2nd amendment was a natural right that's clearly infringed...the founders would argue you don't need a piece of paper saying you're allowed to.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Here is the real problem, this board "bans" guns and then the ban is overturned because of the state preemption. Seems like no issue but then some out of state dealer who only reads part of the online report starts saying that they can't sell guns to people in Cumberland because of a gun ban.

We all know that this will happen. It will take years to show the vendors that it is legal, but some will just ignore the facts.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I guess city councilman Jack Young, a few lawyers, some doctors who carry narco prescripts around, and a handful of large cash volume business owners, will be barred from carrying there. Oh and the 2-3 women who have a violent ex who already beat them nearly to death 3 times.

Wow, such a dangerous group of citizens! Would this proposed stupidity also apply to retired LEO's carrying under LEOSA?

This is just as stupid sounding as Paul Helmke and his National Mall gun carry hysteria.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    Wasn't there a Supreme Court case in CA that said that local authorities couldn't do this? It had something to do with a housing authority...

photoshooter

Mar 22, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    The National Parks ruling works with the laws of the host State, so in this case only citizens with a Maryland Legal Carry Permit could carry a handgun in the Canal Historical Park. Ideally those people are responsible and no one would ever know they were carrying a weapon. Makes you wonder - Did the Cumberland committee read the law?

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    Every year Cumberland has an event called Cumberland goes to War, WWII Reenactors gather and display WWII Weapons and may reenact some battles. I wrote to the Cumberland goes to War Coordinator and asked how this would effect the event. I kind of think they have a double standard here.

My inquiry

Hello, Coordinator

I was considering attending this year’s event until I ran across an article stating that the state-sponsored Canal Place development in downtown Cumberland is considering banning firearms. If this is the case my question is how will this affect the Cumberland goes to War event?? If there is a remote possibility this becomes law I will not be attending due to the fact as reenactors use WWII Rifles / Pistols for display and a no weapons ban would include our weapons as well

Thank You

Their Reply

Thank you for your inquiry. Sorry for the delay in responding but I wanted to check with the Canal Place Executive Director first. Our reenactors are exempt from the ban. Any special events such as Cumberland Goes to War, the Executive Director has the final okay and she’s good to go. So please let your members know – there will be no ban on weapons for CGTW.

Thanks and let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Wishes,

Becky McClarran
    CGTW Coordination
    http://www.cumberlandgoestowar.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads