• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    My wife's grandfather served in the Army Air Force in WW2 and brought back his issue 1911. Years ago, he gave it to me and it was in pretty sad shape. The war was rough on him and from the looks of it, he brought it back and forgot it. I don't think he ever touched it until he gave it to me.

Anyway, I took it apart and gave it a thorough cleaning. The outside is very rough with numerous pits, some severe. the inside, including the bore, however is in great shape.

My question, I found the original hammer had a crack in it and found a replacement. I installed it just fine. But now, when pulling the trigger, WITH THE THUMB SAFETY ON, the gun will fire. When you grip the gun, flick the safety up and press the trigger, the hammer drops. So does the safety lever.

Any idea what I did or what's going on? Fixes?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The hook placement on the replacement hammer is different so that affects the geometry, thus fit of the thumb safety stud.

This may be addressed in more than one way. Sear length, hammer hook dimensions or thumb safety stud dimension. Perhaps all. Trikshot on this forum is an acknowledged 1911 smith. It would be advisable to seek out his services.

The most common layman's fix is replacing and fitting the thumb safety or having the present thumb safety lug welded up a bit and refitting it. Being a vintage firearm, that may be prudent, especially if that was a vintage replacement hammer. Before that, the sear, hammer, and disconnector should be evaluated and necessary action taken. Again, a 1911 smith would determine necessary action.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Is it a real USGI hammer or a MIM reproduction part? The tab on the thumb safety sits behind the sear leg and keeps it from moving. The new hammer doesn’t push the nose of the sear far enough in on full cock, so it can actually fire now.

You can usually “swell” the tab on the thumb safety with a few oblique hammer strikes against a hard surface, but I wouldn’t recommend that on an heirloom. Alternatively you can refit a new thumb safety. Last option is probably what I’d do: replace with a longer sear. That should push the sear leg towards the existing safety tab, perhaps too far. In that case I’d cut back the sear leg with a file and a stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom