• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I do not see how any of the binary triggers can fit into the burst trigger systems. If you pull the trigger and hold it down only one bullet comes out. I think their proposed law will have too many gray areas that it could be easily challenged or would be hard to enforce.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I say no but good luck convincing anyone of that. Anyway cause aim wouldn't send Links to Md and wouldn't separate my order, I sent the gun and all to VA and did the transfer there .

Well, I looked at the law and, unfortunately, it seems like a “yes”.

Detachable magazine. -- "Detachable magazine" means an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.

I’d say that a belt is an ammunition feeding device. Does that mean that linked ammo is also prohibited??

The world has become nutty.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Nope, he's right.

The text of HB888, as enrolled, defines a "Burst Trigger System" as follows:

That fits the definition of a fully automatic firearm / machinegun, with some *possible* flex for systems that operate without altering the trigger reset.

It then goes on to define a "Rapid Fire Trigger Activator" as including a "Burst Trigger System" and various other similar devices.

It then goes on to say:

So in other words, unless you possessed the "Rapid Fire Trigger Activator" prior to 10/1/18 then you can't have it here any more.

Someone please correct my logic if I'm wrong.

First of all HB888 was vetoed by the governor. SB707 was the bill that was enrolled. (http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2018RS/chapters_noln/Ch_252_sb0707T.pdf)

The definition of a machine gun is "any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger." 26 USC 5845(b).

This is different from a "Burst Trigger System" because the "Burst Trigger System" requires a PULL rather than a single function and the additional shots must be caused by "altering the trigger reset".

Machine guns generally do not work by altering the trigger reset.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Well, I looked at the law and, unfortunately, it seems like a “yes”.

Detachable magazine. -- "Detachable magazine" means an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.

I’d say that a belt is an ammunition feeding device. Does that mean that linked ammo is also prohibited??

The world has become nutty.

Belts and/or linked ammo do not actually feed ammunition. The actual belt feeding device is not generally detachable (without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge). Magazines feed ammo because of the spring.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I know that you asked about MD, but I know that I read a law for some state, I think it was NJ, that actually included belt fed, by name, in the bill.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    First of all HB888 was vetoed by the governor.

Only because it was duplicative. HB 888 and SB 707 were the cross filed versions of each other. I referred to HB 888 because it was the bill that most people on here were familiar with discussing.

The text of the two bills (the third version of HB 888 and the enrolled version of SB 707) are exactly the same as each other, so my point stands.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I know that you asked about MD, but I know that I read a law for some state, I think it was NJ, that actually included belt fed, by name, in the bill.

Probably NJ. It's the true Police State that MD aspires to become. I hear constant whining from a friend from Paramus.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Only because it was duplicative. HB 888 and SB 707 were the cross filed versions of each other. I referred to HB 888 because it was the bill that most people on here were familiar with discussing.

The text of the two bills (the third version of HB 888 and the enrolled version of SB 707) are exactly the same as each other, so my point stands.

Your point does not stand. Apparently you missed the point.

Machine guns generally do not work by altering the trigger reset.

You will still be able to buy machine guns because of this.

Additionally both bills passed both houses separately, which means they are separate pieces of legislation. If you wanted to denote the more familiar bill, refering to it as HB888/SB707 would have been a better way given they are technically separate.

Shooter6

Apr 29, 2020
    i know this is bringing the thread back from the dead but i was curious about belted ammo. Is it illegal to just possess belted ammo >10 rds? or are just links themselves illegal? would a metal disintegrating linked belt would qualify under this definition:

MD HB888 Bill:
    "Detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be
    12 removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or
    13 without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    i know this is bringing the thread back from the dead but i was curious about belted ammo. Is it illegal to just possess belted ammo >10 rds? or are just links themselves illegal? would a metal disintegrating linked belt would qualify under this definition:

MD HB888 Bill:
    "Detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be
    12 removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or
    13 without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.

Whatever the interpretation on belts may be, possession does not enter into it.

You may possess magazines or "feeding devices" of any size in Maryland.

The ten round nonsense only applies to buying, offering to sell, manufacturing, etc. You may drive to a neighboring state and buy all the 15 and 30 and 50 round magazines you want and bring them home to Maryland, take them to the range and load them up. Perfectly legal. You can't bring any back for me: only for yourself. I can't give you any. You have to go out of state and get your own.

But possession and use is legal. You may possess belted ammo of any length.

Now go over to "Introductions" and introduce yo' funky self, before some grumpy old fart shows up and grumbles at you.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Is a belt considered a “detachable magazine”??

I think the law says "ammunition feeding device"

However, technically to remove a belt from most modern belt feds DOES require removal of the top of the receiver so I wonder if
    "12 removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action"

applies

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I think the law says "ammunition feeding device"

However, technically to remove a belt from most modern belt feds DOES require removal of the top of the receiver so I wonder if
    "12 removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action"

applies

The top cover hinges up without any tools on just about every belt fed ever made with a top cover.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    The top cover hinges up without any tools on just about every belt fed ever made with a top cover.

Most firearms can be disassembled without the use of a tool.

I am wondering if the opening of the top plate of the receiver (which usually has the feed shuttle and cam) and without which the firearm will not function, constitutes "disassembly of the firearm action"

According to the law a detachable magazine is:

Detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The Zombie Poster was concerned about the legality of possession.

I think the vast majority of people do not realize that possession of any "ammunition feeding device" is not banned.

Maryland law does not touch on possession.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri

Most firearms can be disassembled without the use of a tool.

I am wondering if the opening of the top plate of the receiver (which usually has the feed shuttle and cam) and without which the firearm will not function, constitutes "disassembly of the firearm action"

According to the law a detachable magazine is:

Detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge

Wonder away. ;)

The interpretation by our gubment overlords is that a belt is an ammunition feeding device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom