• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Not my deer, but my 14 year old son’s. That’s even better, has I’d rather him, or any kid for that matter, harvest a deer than I. He took this deer, this past Sunday, at his grandfather’s woodlot. He and I don’t normally hunt there during rifle season, mostly only during muzzleloader. Saturday’s rain basically had us flooded out on the farm we were going to hunt, so we changed plans. He’s sure glad we did! One shot kill, he didn’t go 30 yards. I’m a very proud father. He was using his much loved Savage Axis in 243.

Cangrats to your son.Looks like a perfect shot.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Cangrats to your son.Looks like a perfect shot.

Thanks, yeah he put a good shot on him. I don’t want to jinx him on myself, but he’s always put a good shot on a deer. But believe me, he’s learned not to take a shot, if the deer didn’t give him a good clear shot. Aways hard to let a nice buck walk by, because he didn’t give you a broadside shot. Most of the time, they will the next time, at least that’s what we hope for. Better to pass him up, and wait another day. He’s very patient when hunting/shooting, and fishing, other things not so much. Lol.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    The spread on that rack is impressive. Is it just me, or do the bucks being harvested this year in MD insofar as what we see posted on MDS look a bit larger than past years? Obviously it's not a scientific sampling, and people will tend to show the largest deer they might successfully bag/tag (especially for the deer hunting machines in these threads), but wow, there have been a lot of Wisconsin sized deer in this thread this year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Definitely some nicer grade bucks being posted up this year. On our lease there have been 3 bucks taken in the last two weeks. 2 were 8’s and one 9 during bow season. Can’t say if it’s just luck or maturation of the herd.
    I also hunt West VA, been hunting the same area with mostly the same group for 35 years. I can say from my own experience, it seems in that region the numbers of deer are without question down, but the quality of the bucks have been better than 10-20 years ago. The guys I hunt with there are born and raised in WV. It was common in the late 80’s into the early 90’s to have on average 7 bucks hanging opening day rifle, then 2-3 second day and 1-2 through the remainder of the first week. The mindset with them was if it was legal take it, and a lot of small bucks were killed. Our group is a bit smaller now, but it seems like 2-3 opening day, than maybe a few more through the week. But most now are 7-10 point bucks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Increase in rack size averages can be directly attributed to nutrition. Years with bumper mast crops will usually affect antler growth the following year positively, barring a catastrophic drought the summer between. We had a good crop last fall, generally speaking, followed by a wet and lush summer providing great grazing all summer long. No surprise if antlers seem better this year. I haven't noticed it myself.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Not my deer, but my 14 year old son’s. That’s even better, has I’d rather him, or any kid for that matter, harvest a deer than I. He took this deer, this past Sunday, at his grandfather’s woodlot. He and I don’t normally hunt there during rifle season, mostly only during muzzleloader. Saturday’s rain basically had us flooded out on the farm we were going to hunt, so we changed plans. He’s sure glad we did! One shot kill, he didn’t go 30 yards. I’m a very proud father. He was using his much loved Savage Axis in 243.

Congrats to your son!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks! It was a pretty nice sized deer. My son is just a little over 100 pounds. My FIL doesn’t have any scales there to weigh the deer, but it most definitely outweighed my son. Lol
    On a side note fidelity, I will never forget your generosity a few years ago, when you gave me a buck 110 knife, to give to my son. If you remember we hunt a lot of small game as well. He has used it on small game, but I’m still fielding dressing his deer. Let’s see how things go, next season might be his season to do it himself. He learned to filet fish this pass summer, and he caught on quickly.

Aw shucks, no need to mention. I usually buy things at deep discount and then wonder why the gear room is full. I'm glad it was of use to him, and it's great to read about his annual deer hunting progress.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My daughter shot a doe Tuesday evening. School is at nights for her and was free today before it warmed all up. This is her first butchering job on her own. Her she is pulling one of the rump roasts.

She used my small skinner knife for butchering and now she wants her own short bladed knife now.

Its been a tough year with the neighbors logging (clear cutting) the farm next door. My buddy is hunting today and said does are finally all over the place. He shot at a buck and blew up a tree branch instead, opps. :lol2:

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
      IMG_0880.jpg
      90.7 KB · Views: 263
    • Sonya Doe 11-17.jpg
      Sonya Doe 11-17.jpg
      146.2 KB · Views: 271

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    My daughter shot a doe Tuesday evening. School is at nights for her and was free today before it warmed all up. This is her first butchering job on her own. Her she is pulling one of the rump roasts.

She used my small skinner knife for butchering and now she wants her own short bladed knife now.

Its been a tough year with the neighbors logging (clear cutting) the farm next door. My buddy is hunting today and said does are finally all over the place. He shot at a buck and blew up a tree branch instead, opps. :lol2:

Congrats to your daughter!
    My younger daughter (21) helped skin and quarter our deer the other day. Her first time helping and she jumped right in. I hope she wants to start hunting when her school schedule frees up. She likes to shoot with me.
    9818C884-CC97-4EEC-8390-B5A8999D194D.jpg

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Got a big body 6 pt tonight. Not much of a rack but I don’t eat the horns anyways.

Attachments

• DB759E3B-C808-42D9-8448-A5D42BDB6389.jpg
      DB759E3B-C808-42D9-8448-A5D42BDB6389.jpg
      137.2 KB · Views: 214

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Its nice to see some of you guys got your daughters out in the field hunting! Way to go Dads!
    My FIL as aways hunted, but he never took his daughters out, with him. When my wife and I were dating, I got her into hunting. Now she and I rarely hunt together, as she now hunts with he father. They’ve become the best of hunting partners. They both enjoy being in the woods together.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Congrats to your daughter!
    My younger daughter (21) helped skin and quarter our deer the other day. Her first time helping and she jumped right in. I hope she wants to start hunting when her school schedule frees up. She likes to shoot with me.

Mine didn't show much interest in shooting or hunting for the longest time. She couldn't listen, she knew it all, before I told her. Then one day, maybe at 15, she said she wants to hunt and needs the hunter safety program. I told her You have to go if you want to.

She tells me "You should have forced me to go." Any man reading this having a daughter knows how "forcing" young females to do anything would go. Now she's hot and cold, but she always has been. She'll hunt like hell and then, not hunt because she wants to sleep in.

They just like to be included in everything. She is always, but the funniest part is she can take kidding like a guy, I trained her. When she sleeps in, my buddy texts her "Why aren't you hunting?" :lol2: It kills me, of course, I encourage him. :D

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Filled the gator today. Freezers full and we still need to take some more deer off of the property

Attachments

• 4BB6667E-8ACC-4812-82E9-05F1A8E1A686.jpg
      4BB6667E-8ACC-4812-82E9-05F1A8E1A686.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 224

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads