• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I finally got to go to the range after rebuilding my AR last month. I was totally amazed at the results! A 7" group at 200 yards with my EOTECH 1MOA Red Dot is totally surprising to see for me! This was a used gun and after disappointment at the range a rebuild was performed. This test was reassurance that the rebuild was definitely worth it! Thanks to RussD and Apone for the suggestions and write-up on AR builds!

16" M4 Del-ton barrel, YHM Specter length free float, YHM gas block, Stag upper and lower, Springfield 3# trigger.

Attachments

• 20090125_Hap_Range.jpg
      20090125_Hap_Range.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 372
    • ARcomplete.jpg
      ARcomplete.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 366

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Am I missing something ? First, I wouldn't even consider anything less than 5 shot groups. And 7 inches at 200 yds is 3.5 MOA. That doesn't sound too good to me. What was it shooting before the rebuild? Sorry if I sound a little negative.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    No prob. Believe me, I was ecstatic compared to how I felt before. Prior to the rebuild, my AR had 6" groups at 25 yards, so this is a drastic improvement for me. At 200 yards under heavy clouds, it wasn't easy to see the target that far away, so I had the Red Dot turned way down which helped see the target better. I'm not using any magnification and could only barely see the silhouette, not the x in the center. I'm 35 with astigmatism, so it takes a lot of blinking to get that little 1MOA dot to show up clearly when I'm using my contacts. I was shooting at Hap Baker with sand bags supporting the front of the rifle at a shooting bench. I'd love to see how this shoots with a scope as that's absolutely necessary for me at that distance.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Its capable of better for sure.

Experiment with ammo weights.
    Shoot 5 shot groups.
    Save the red dot for ranges below 100 yards.
    Practice, practice, practice.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    For naked-eye shooting I think that's respectable. I can't even see the target at 200 yards, even with my glasses on I have mild double-vision in my right eye (I'm 47.) and I can't shoot left-handed.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    IMHO, not too awful for a red dot, no magnification site....iron sights might have worked better. Still I agree a 5 shot group would be better for reference.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Ammo was 55gr XM193 Lake City '08. That's all I own. I'm not really trying to shoot quarters at that range, so this is fine for me. I actually shot worse with the iron sights at that range and threw that target away. My front sight was as wide as 2 of these targets! The EOTech Red Dot is 1MOA and with the intensity turned down so I could barely see it, I could still see this target around the dot. Pretty amazing. Will have to try it with a real scope (not the NcStar quality that I currently have).

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    Seriously - 7" group with NO magnification at 200 yards is a pretty good starting point. Can you do better - of course. You could also do a HELL of a lot worse.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I agree with the suggestion to try different ammo weights and use a scope if you have one. You may be pleasantly surprised. I've posted on this forum before that I was getting 3" inch groups at 100 yds using 55gr Remington UMC. Using 68gr. Hornady HPBT bullets shrank the groups down to 1/2" X 3/4". So, it's always good to experiment.
    By the way I also have astigmatism. Wait 5 more years. 40 seems to be the magic age when alot of people need bifocals.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I agree with the suggestion to try different ammo weights and use a scope if you have one. You may be pleasantly surprised. I've posted on this forum before that I was getting 3" inch groups at 100 yds using 55gr Remington UMC. Using 68gr. Hornady HPBT bullets shrank the groups down to 1/2" X 3/4". So, it's always good to experiment.
    By the way I also have astigmatism. Wait 5 more years. 40 seems to be the magic age when alot of people need bifocals.

What barrel length do you have on your AR:innocent0?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Nice shots. That would get the job done if you were hunting at about 100 yds.

1/9 twist barrel likes lighter rounds, 1/7 likes them heavy. This is all generalities, though it's a good place to start. XM ammo is more prone to "fliers" -- the "X" means they are discarded/rejected rounds. This is usually due to dings and/or weights that are off. I personally prefer commercial ammo at the same price that was not rejected. Fewer issues.

Fiochi and Federal have good ammo to work with at good prices. I'd say try some Federal just to see what happens. You might be a better shot than you think (again...those shots look pretty good).

EDIT: AmmunitionToGo.com has Federal training rounds in 55 and 75 grn for really good prices right now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As great as extended range shooting is, is this case 100yd would help to sort out gun vs ammo vs optic variables.
    The first five rounds ever fired out of my A2 Sporster went in 1.5 at 100yd, origional irons of course. Radway Green 62gr UK surplus.
    Same set up with Varmit Genade / 748 handloads 1.0 in .
    My friend actually has a 200yd range, but hadn't yet cut the annual brush grouth between 100 and 200, and it was too hot for that much manual labor.
    At nearly 50, visual acquity as good as mid 20s, just gets fatigued a LOT faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom