• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Dunno. But I need one.

... ah.... :D

wiki says: Ballistics
    The cartridge propels its 2,400 gr (160 g) bullet at approximately 2,100 ft/s (640 m/s).[1] This yields a muzzle energy of 38,696 ft·lbf (52,465 J).[4]
    By comparison, the 5.56×45mm NATO cartridge, used in the M16 rifle, produces between 1,200–1,300 ft·lbf (1,600–1,800 J), while the .308 Winchester, a favorite for hunters and medium-range police/military sniping, produces between 2,000–3,000 ft·lbf (2,700–4,100 J) depending on the load used. The ballistics of the .950 JDJ are more similar to that of the 20 mm autocannon round, which delivers approximately 39,500 ft·lbf (53,600 J). The muzzle energy of the .950 JDJ is comparable to the kinetic energy of a 2,800 lb (1,300 kg) automobile traveling at 20 mph (32 km/h).

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The more I look at the pic, the more I don't think that's a .950.

Looks like a 40mm.

That's what they originally said, in fact, but I guess they traced it back to the dude with the JDJ.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    The muzzle energy of the .950 JDJ is comparable to the kinetic energy of a 2,800 lb (1,300 kg) automobile traveling at 20 mph (32 km/h).

Soooo ... recoil is a bitch and you just have to deal with the dislocated shoulder every time you fire it?

Gotta be willing to pay the price of admission to play ...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm as big of a recoil junkie as most, it not more. But I'm not sure I'd be interested in that rifle.

Oh, who am I kidding, I'd spend a week in the hospital to just shoot that thing once.

Feb 22, 2012
    Baltimore County
    ... makes me wonder if the inventor of this "rifle"/cartridge combo is trying to stir up the old "knockdown power" debate. This thing literally has "knockdown power" if it hits with the kinetic energy of a car moving at 20mph. As such... the recoil would also be like getting hit by a car if my understanding of basic physics is correct. Over 270 lbs/ft of recoil (not muzzle energy, or energy at a specific distance, but RECOIL). In the video I watched, it was being fired by firearms industry professionals and most could not properly maintain control of the rifle under the recoil.

I'm a firm proponent that founding fathers such as Jefferson and Washington truly intended for the American people to have the means to resist whatever army that the centralized (federal) government could muster if the government were to turn tyrannical. However this particular rifle seems unsafe to both the user, observers, and anyone in a 5 mile radius. Know your target and what is beyond. Kinda hard to obey that safety rule with something this powerful and so hard to control.

I also wonder at how this was able to squeak by the 'sporting purpose' clause and NOT be a NFA regulated firearm. No North American game or potentially dangerous beast requires 1/2 the power to effectively dispatch. The '1 mile challenge' has been successfully undertaken using 338Lapaua (and 300 Win Mag if memory serves correct). So what exactly is the sporting purpose?

Maybe some folks never made something big go boom before. I guess that I get that. But the military doesn't put 1st week recruits behind a Ma Deuce or a AT4. Unless things have changed drastically in the last 20 years, that is left until Soldiers/Marines are in S.O.I. and have 3 to 5 months of intense training under their belts.

My 2 cents. YMMV. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The event organizer is not willing to pay the bills. I thought anyone going on a live range assumes some level of risk. yes it seems the rock wall may not have been to "code" being concave but a ricochet is hard to control even in a controlled environment.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The event organizer is not willing to pay the bills. I thought anyone going on a live range assumes some level of risk. yes it seems the rock wall may not have been to "code" being concave but a ricochet is hard to control even in a controlled environment.

Unless the organizer deliberately misled people or concealed some aspect of the range, I dont see how anyone can fault him(her?) Ultimately, the person pulling the trigger is responsible for what they're shooting at, and what lies beyond the target. Anybody choosing to shoot towards a flat or hard wall accepts the possibility that something could be bouncing back at them, and the liability for it lies with themselves, not the person(s) that sent out the invite.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Whoa.

IMG_1000.jpg

Whoa is right.

That shirt is so 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics