• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Going up to gods country (or atleast gods part of MD) soon and wanted to go shooting.

We are going to be close to Mchenry. Any good outdoor ranges? Do we need target stands or are they supplied?

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I forget the name of the range up there...savage maybe? Anyways I know there is one up there near deep creek. Contact the member on here named deep creek rock.

chiefstrum

Jul 17, 2009
    Garrett County
    savage state park has an outdoor range. It's 100 yards long with benches under a pavilion. The target stands are angle iron and old conveyor belt to staple to. I think it's $5 /person/day on the honor system.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The Savage River Forest, shooting range is public, and a nice range.

To get there from the McHenry/Deep Creek area - take 219 South (towards Oakland) make left at Glendale Road -you'll cross over the Glendale bridge over the lake. Stay on that road until you hit your first stop sign, That intersects with 495. Take a left onto Rt 495 after a few miles, you make a right onto New Germany Road. Follow New Germany for a few miles, and on the right you will see a sign that says "shooting range" The entrance to the range is on your right.

Target stands are provided but.. I recommend you bring a piece of long cardboard, and some zip ties to put over the target backing. There so shot up, that stapling targets is a real pain in the ass sometimes. Sometimes you get lucky and get a target holder that is not chewed up. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. You can bring your own target holder. They do not allow full auto weapons there, and only paper targets -no clay birds, bottles etc. Make sure you bring a staple gun or tacks and your own paper targets as well - they do not provide that.

The range does not have any RO's - its your duty to make sure you and others are safe. Make sure you call the range hot or cold, after target changes, if others are there.

Id suggest you bring a pen or pencil to fill out your payment envelope/stub. The envelopes are under the awning (shooting area) on the far left side in plastic bins. There is a "pipe" that you put your payment in. The cost is $5.00 a day PER PERSON. It is an honor system - I highly suggest you pay it, and keep your stub from the envelope. The DNR does check in from time to time - Ive been seeing them alot more these days. They will check you for it!

The range sometimes closes to the public, when the police are using it for training etc. I havent seen a range closure date in a longtime. Usally I'll put a post if they have any listed dates. If you want to call the HQ and make sure .. there number is 301-895-5759.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Thanks...we've been to one up there but it was years ago. I'm not sure which one it was.

We'll probably go to Savage. How busy are they? We'll probably be up there either Saturday or Sunday.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The range is open at sunrise, and closes and sunset. I find if you get there early in the morning (usally around 9AM still) there's usally no one or very little people there. It does get a little busy time to time, and some days there's hardly anyone. If the weather is crap - the range traffic is light. It is a covered shooting stations.

Weekdays are a great time to go. Usally you get choice pick of what shooting station you want.

Another thing I also forgot - you may want to bring your own rests, if you shooting off of the bench. They do have carpeted wood blocks, but they dont always work for you. I never see anyone use them, lol.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Thanks.

I dont have shooting blocks nor are we shooting for bragging rights.

Figured we'd go up and plink....the less stuff I back and bring the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom