• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    can you see if the barrel is binding due to a bulge? If you're able to clear the chamber and light the barrel from the chamber end, you should be able to see the bulge from the inside as a dark ring halfway up. How about the recoil spring assembly? Definately in the correct way? Put the slide on a sturdy corner(not the barrel) up front and push it as far to the rear as you can with your support hand, then come forward hard with your shooting hand onto the backstrap. Be sure to grip the frame after the strike with your shooting hand so the gun doesn't fall. It could be a primer underneath or something like that. Also, slide the slide back as far as it'll go and take a picture of the underside of the slide at the rear(where the striker is), the front where the barrel protrudes, and inside the mag well, lit up with a flashlight at the underside of the slide with the slide closed. Pictures may show something obvious to those looking for the right things.

edit...i may be reversing what "1/2 way back" means. Is it locked to the rearward position and won't go forward into batteyr, or locked so that it won't open all the way? If the striker is binding on something as the slide's trying to return forward, it may just be as easy as removing the backplate and taking out the striker to allow the slide to come forward and off.

good call.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    Thanks! Glad I'm OK, not glad my Smith is not OK. They probably won't cover the repair under warranty. Let's see.

Got my fingers crossed for you but I think Federal should make it right. Call the KAC if you need some muscle. He would be on it like an inkjet printer repairman.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    They should send you your parts back or they may leave them in place. GLOCK will pull all after market parts out and send them back in the box.
    Smith is not GLOCK.
    Smith will remove all non-stock parts and return the gun to it's stock configuration for you.
    Then send it back all safe and sound for you.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I got a call from Federal Ammunition. Stated to box the remaining ammo up and UPS would pick it up. Told to initiate communication with S&W, which I already did, and explained to S&W what happened. Between the two of them they will make it right.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Just got an email from FedEx, saying S&W is sending me a package and gave me a tracking number. This is the first I heard from anyone concerning this. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what's in the box.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Just got an email from FedEx, saying S&W is sending me a package and gave me a tracking number. This is the first I heard from anyone concerning this. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what's in the box.

That is a fantastic turnaround. Keep us posted!

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    That is a fantastic turnaround. Keep us posted!

Indeed!

Squibs suck and you have to be careful. Personally if I'm ever at a range and feel a light recoil or anything strange, I stop and will field strip the gun to ensure the barrel is clear. Seen enough of these to know it's not worth it to run a risk of sending a second round down the pipe if there's an obstruction.

I wonder if S&W did any inspection to the slide since you continued to fire it after the barrel was bulged.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    8 boxes of Federal 9mm arrives yesterday to replenish the 5.5 boxes of unfired I sent back. No note.

M&P arrived today with "replaced barrel" and and inspected, that's it. I don't know how they got it apart. The slide is not new, as it has the same sights on it that I sent it with (missing the front dot because it fell out). Oh well, I intended to replace the sights anyway.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Leave it to the people that build it, to be able to get it apart when that type of 'mishap' occurs.

While it may not be a new slide/barrel combo, at least they got you up and gunning again, and with an extra 2.5 boxes of ammo to boot. Sounds like all's well to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom