NY Senate Bill Would Require $1 Million Liability Insurance Policy for Gun Owners

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    New York Senate Bill Would Require $1 Million Liability Insurance Policy for Gun Owners

It would mandate that gun owners secure a $1,000,000 liability policy. The insurance law is amended by adding a new section 2353 to read as follows:

§ 2353. FIREARM OWNERS INSURANCE POLICIES. 1. ANY PERSON IN THIS STATE WHO SHALL OWN A FIREARM SHALL, PRIOR TO SUCH OWNERSHIP, OBTAIN AND CONTINUOUSLY MAINTAIN A POLICY OF LIABILITY INSURANCE IN AN AMOUNT NOT LESS THAN ONE MILLION DOLLARS SPECIFICALLY COVERING ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY NEGLIGENT OR WILLFUL ACTS INVOLVING THE USE OF SUCH FIREARM WHILE IT IS OWNED BY SUCH PERSON. FAILURE TO MAINTAIN SUCH INSURANCE SHALL RESULT IN THE IMMEDIATE REVOCATION OF SUCH OWNER’S REGISTRATION, LICENSE AND ANY OTHER PRIVILEGE TO OWN SUCH

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Watch them also try to ban any company from actually providing this coverage.

Also, I might be wrong, but I've read insurance can't cover you for willful criminal acts.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    "...WHILE IT IS OWNED BY..." Meaning, if it gets stolen and used in a crime by someone else five minutes later, your insurance policy and thus your credit rating etc are in jeopardy. Court challenge.

"...SHALL RESULT IN THE IMMEDIATE REVOCATION OF SUCH OWNER’S REGISTRATION, LICENSE AND ANY OTHER PRIVILEGE TO OWN SUCH" Meaning, they're breezily changing the constitutionally protected right to ownership into a privilege. There's the much bigger court challenge, right there.

And ... why doesn't this apply to large kitchen knives, baseball bats, and any of the other tools routinely used to kill people?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    "...WHILE IT IS OWNED BY..." Meaning, if it gets stolen and used in a crime by someone else five minutes later, your insurance policy and thus your credit rating etc are in jeopardy. Court challenge.

"...SHALL RESULT IN THE IMMEDIATE REVOCATION OF SUCH OWNER’S REGISTRATION, LICENSE AND ANY OTHER PRIVILEGE TO OWN SUCH" Meaning, they're breezily changing the constitutionally protected right to ownership into a privilege. There's the much bigger court challenge, right there.

And ... why doesn't this apply to large kitchen knives, baseball bats, and any of the other tools routinely used to kill people?
    Same reason as HB 1302

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Notice they're not requiring mandatory 1A liability insurance before you can open your mouth or make a blog posting, just in case you slander or libel somebody, let alone issue a call to violence via keyboard.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Why only a million? A billion is a lot more and would probably be impossible to obtain, thereby assuring that NY's real goal behind the bill is achieved: End private firearm ownership.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    This is another "Look, see I tried to do something" Bill. If it works great for them, if it doesn't then it's just that I tried to do something but the meanies wouldn't let me do it. We need to take a page out of their book, just like Trump did. We need to flood our GA, with such type bills. Say, one bill for each firearm listed in the from the 2013 ban listing, etc.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Firearm "regulation" now has become a game among several blue state legislatures -- not to reduce crime or advance public safety, but for the purpose and goal to see how severely they can restrict and regulate every aspect of firearm ownership and use, while surviving court challenges. With the side benefit of depleting firearms owners' financial resources and resolve in the process.

Infringement on the 2A, with its eventual repeal or irrelevance, is the goal in and of itself.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Almost to the "undesirable person" prohibition.

Congratulation NY, you've just come to the gate of Nazi Germany. Will the state decide to enter?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    2 million "umbrella " policy is less than $50 a year

1. Don't even go there.
    2. Maybe $50.00 for you, but not where I live.
    3. Umbrella policies are for people who already have insurance.
    4. $1 is $1 too much.

Let's re-institute poll taxes, instead. :sarcasm:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    2 million "umbrella " policy is less than $50 a year

Do you imagine that such a policy would cover you if someone who just stole your gun used it to kill, say, a bunch of kids? The bill’s language says you need a policy in effect for as long as you own it, not just while you use it for target practice. The whole delusional point of such a bill (in theory) is to cover some of the public costs of murders. A typical umbrella liability policy wouldn’t touch that with a ten foot pole.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Is NY just jealous that SF has more homeless illegals and drug users camped on sidewalks than NYC has, and is doing everything it can as fast as it can to become a third world ******** like CA? Last time I was in NYC last year the subways smelled like piss and the gutters were filled with cigarette butts and litter. Is that part of the new "I Love NY" tourism theme?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is the type of sh!t large scale civil disobedience is made for. It's outright unconstitutional and morally reprehensible. The people should respond with large open carry demonstrations to remind everyone that the power in this country originates from and lies with the people. It is troubling to me to see the direction the pro infringement crowd is moving in. Gun confiscation is stupid, from a policy standpoint. The IRS is a much more effective means of state control. By taxing rights and/or fining people, they are able to take money directly from their paychecks if someone doesn't comply with a 2a infringement. Combined with offered amnesties that 3rd parties can engage in(wives turning in hubbies guns to erase the debt), it'd be easy to financially force people to disarm themselves within a decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom