• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I tried searching before making the post and didn’t find much, must have missed that post..unfortunately tonight I was driving my GF’s car (hot Saturday night date to the grocery store) and had nothing besides my firearm.. I always have tools (including hammer and tire iron), knives etc in my personal vehicles.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I was almost kicked trying to get a "more alive then I thought" deer with a knife. Now I keep a takedown bow, a few old aluminum arrows with fixed blade broadheads in a 4" pvc container in my trunk. I just want to get the deer home to get any salvageable meat in my freezer ASAP, and you cant beat a bow for effective and discreet! Technically I think you are supposed to get a roadkill salvage tag for these.

I cant imagine the day maryland bans primitive bows being stored with ammo in your car, but I am sure it will happen some day. I bought this for the novelty compact factor. I would not really recommend it on any price or performance criteria.

https://goprimalnow.com/product/arc...mpact-folding-survival-bow-50-lb-draw-weight/

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    You must let it suffer until the “authorities “ get there. Even with a hammer you can get in trouble. Also not by law but depending what county your in some “authorities “ have more common sense /understanding to the actual situation. Ya it’s a shame they say it’s to have something to do with proving or not poaching i was told.even though it is obvious the animal was hit by a vehicle.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Call police. .. yes.. they will take care of the deer.

Don't do it yourself or you'll regret it.. discharging a firearm on/across public road is no-no.

+1.

Buddy of mine shot one on the eastern shore that was hit and threatened with arrest. It was goose season and he used a shotgun. I can't imagine the turmoil standing on the side of the road with an 'evil' handgun...:D

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    You must let it suffer until the “authorities “ get there. Even with a hammer you can get in trouble. Also not by law but depending what county your in some “authorities “ have more common sense /understanding to the actual situation. Ya it’s a shame they say it’s to have something to do with proving or not poaching i was told.even though it is obvious the animal was hit by a vehicle.

I have put dozens out of their misery with a 20 oz estwin and if a cop wants to arrest me for poaching with a hammer I would gladly go to court

Maybe 11-12 years ago I hit a 6 pointer and a cop just happened to be a few cars behind me

He pulled over to lend a hand

The deer was flopping and baying in pain. I told the cop to go on and shoot the deer. He had to make a radio call to get permission. He fired 5-6 times and missed every time. He was glad to let me dispatch him with my hammer

He didn’t arrest me

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    My brother hit a deer near the Md. De. line on the Maryland side , a officer (Trooper) came to the scene and found the deer down a hill and shot it . My brother thought the officer would let him do it .;):rolleyes::innocent0

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    44man that’s a positive situation.good to hear. I feel on the shore western Md there are understanding officers . Time place attitudes just never know how it s going to turn out. I’ve never been in this situation but I think I would call authorities and also put animal down while waiting and not necessarily in that order. I can say I have meet /been checked by rookies and can say it’s been less than positive. Off topic had him tell me I have to have orange on while hunting . I was goose hunting. AA county.just never know. Always vigilant and don’t argue with them. It gets figured out.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Similar happened in the field across from my house with a doe a couple of years ago. She kept trying to get up but appeared the back was broken. She would try to crawl with her front legs but back weren't moving. Called the CCSO office, gave the location and explained. A DNR cop showed up about half an hour later. shot it and asked if I wanted, I think, a "red tag" on it so I could take it to the processor. She was very tasty.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I have put dozens out of their misery with a 20 oz estwin and if a cop wants to arrest me for poaching with a hammer I would gladly go to court

Maybe 11-12 years ago I hit a 6 pointer and a cop just happened to be a few cars behind me

He pulled over to lend a hand

The deer was flopping and baying in pain. I told the cop to go on and shoot the deer. He had to make a radio call to get permission. He fired 5-6 times and missed every time. He was glad to let me dispatch him with my hammer

He didn’t arrest me
    A hammer is more accurate than a pistol.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    When I lived in Kensington, I heard a few shots one morning. As I drove my kids to school, we drove by a couple officers that just finished the deer by slitting its throat. Guess they didn't shoot it so well.

After I dropped off kiddos, I drove by the dead deer. Blue gloves left on top of it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    20+ years ago the only thing people cared about was the animal. In the last few years have heard enough from officers and hunters about people getting threatened with DNR fines and arrest that I would be leery about using a firearm to put one down in PA, definitely wouldn't in MD. Have put animals down before with blades, then left quickly, but not when police were on the way, or when too many idiots were already on the scene. One example was from a York regional officer at my local range, had to basically beg responding PA DNR not to fine a guy who stopped to help a lady, motorist put down the deer she just hit with his CCW. She told the 911 dispatch "the guy just killed the deer instead of taking it to the vet"..

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    When I lived in Kensington, I heard a few shots one morning. As I drove my kids to school, we drove by a couple officers that just finished the deer by slitting its throat. Guess they didn't shoot it so well.

After I dropped off kiddos, I drove by the dead deer. Blue gloves left on top of it.
    :D

Deer-get-well-soon-630x354.jpg

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    In my agency it varies from no problem to no way. My Sgt is a no way kind of guy. I've had to get creative a few times. The paperwork is easier than writing a warning for speeding but for some reason some of the bosses get uptight about it. I have also had opportunities to let others handle it as they saw fit but with body cameras that isn't even a conversation I'm willing to have.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have put down several with a GOOD SHARP knife
    The first my wife had hit, when I offered to end its misery with my knife the trooper goes "ooookkkay" and quickly turned and walked away. :lol2:

Another the trooper says "Damn, I had to shoot the last one 5 times!" :sad20:
    He was happy to let me finish her with the knife I carry in my fire gear for just this reason.

TIP
    Have someone stand on the back leg, that second one gave one last kick before I could get away.
    D@MN THAT HURT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom