• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lunchbox369

Nov 22, 2018
    I have recently moved and my insurance company asked if I had any assault or fully automatic weapons in the house. I'm just wondering what constitutes an assault weapon. Im trying to be honest and not have issues if I ever had to make a claim but I'm not going to call something an assault weapon because someone is scared of it.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I've never heard of an insurance company asking homeowners that question.

I would tell them no unless they were specifically insured separately by description.

None of their business.

They should just be concerned about electric service, supplemental heat, dogs, age of roof, etc.

lunchbox369

Nov 22, 2018
    That's what I thought. I told them no. But i thought I'd ask some opinions here. I dont feel it's their business but I dont want to be denied coverage later down the road.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Technically, an assault weapon IS an automatic weapon, so you would not be telling a lie if you only owned a semi-automatic AR-15, and said no to 'assault weapons.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Normally, Homeowners insurance companies ask if you have guns in general. The standard practice is $5k is included in your basic policy.

If the value of your guns is more, they will want to sell you a separate rider policy

Normally, Homeowners insurance companies ask if you have guns in general. The standard practice is $5k is included in your basic policy.

If the value of your guns is more, they will want to sell you a separate rider policy

^^ This is what I've always run into (not in a bad way),my previous agent(State Farm) insured numerous ranges including Gunsite.When he sold the agency I stayed with them after they switched to Nationwide.IIRC my policy had $8K included but would do agreed value and base the premium on that.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD

For what it’s worth, the 3 insurance companies that I’ve used have not asked that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I've had homeowners on two residences for over 20 years and have NEVER been asked about any firearms not by StateFarm or Allstate. I also have never been asked by at least two different auto umbrella policies. My umbrella has about 40 risk questions and that is not one of them.

Had you volunteered you have firearms? My policy does not exclude them so theft or fire/casualty loss of mine are covered without me saying a word to them whihc I greatly prefer.

I would never volunteer they are liable to put you in some other (higher) liability risk and price category and you have no way to know if they can share that info.

There are several definitions of "assault rifle", but I would assert I am not responsible to figure out ever definition and select fire is one. I would say "no" given there are valid definitions that say an assault rifle is select fire.

if you shop around it is not difficult to find competitive prices I would pick an insurance company that does not ask this. I also would <b>never</b> answer this question over the phone, but stop right there and rather than decline to answer, or lie, do neither, and say "my boss has called me into a meeting" or "I can't hear you" and ask to get a form with their risk questions by mail

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I've had homeowners on two residences for over 20 years and have NEVER been asked about any firearms not by StateFarm or Allstate. I also have never been asked by at least two different auto umbrella policies. My umbrella has about 40 risk questions and that is not one of them.

Had you volunteered you have firearms? My policy does not exclude them so theft or fire/casualty loss of mine are covered without me saying a word to them whihc I greatly prefer.

I would never volunteer they are liable to put you in some other (higher) liability risk and price category and you have no way to know if they can share that info.

There are several definitions of "assault rifle", but I would assert I am not responsible to figure out ever definition and select fire is one. I would say "no" given there are valid definitions that say an assault rifle is select fire.

if you shop around it is not difficult to find competitive prices I would pick an insurance company that does not ask this. I also would <b>never</b> answer this question over the phone, but stop right there and rather than decline to answer, or lie, do neither, and say "my boss has called me into a meeting" or "I can't hear you" and ask to get a form with their risk questions by mail

What will happen to your dismay:

The amount the insurance company will be capped at the policy fine print amount, and no where near the replacement dollar amount, if you have NFA items or are a collector. Firearms fall under the personal belongings category, which is usually limited to $5k for the entire category.

lunchbox369

Nov 22, 2018
    Sorry it took so long to reply it was busy at work today. I'm with California casualty. They only asked about assault rifles or machine guns. I said no because it is my understanding that assault rifle means some sort of more then one round fired per pull of the trigger and all of mine are semi auto. They have always had the best rates but nothing far off from everyone else but they cover my bunker gear if it gets damaged or stolen if it's in my car which most companys do not.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Take your "assault weapons" and FA out to your car, go back, check "no - I do not have such weapons in my house", bring them back in and get a new insurer.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Sorry it took so long to reply it was busy at work today. I'm with California casualty. They only asked about assault rifles or machine guns. I said no because it is my understanding that assault rifle means some sort of more then one round fired per pull of the trigger and all of mine are semi auto. They have always had the best rates but nothing far off from everyone else but they cover my bunker gear if it gets damaged or stolen if it's in my car which most companys do not.

Commonplace that insurance companies will place a cap on what they’ll pay for firearms losses. Jewelry is also commonly capped. As mentioned, one really needs to review their policy, and put a rider in place if need be.

I’ve never been asked whether or not I either owned or intend to own firearms in relation to insurance, let alone being asked about specific firearm types. That latter scenario is most troubling. I’d be very curious to know what (if anything) California Casualty puts in print regarding firearms ownership.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I have recently moved and my insurance company asked if I had any assault or fully automatic weapons in the house. I'm just wondering what constitutes an assault weapon. Im trying to be honest and not have issues if I ever had to make a claim but I'm not going to call something an assault weapon because someone is scared of it.

Tell them you have a salt shaker, see how long it takes them to figure out what you’re talking about.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Look at the policy's declaration page, it will state the limit of liability for personal property. Above that, items would need to be declared as scheduled personal property and a value assigned and agreed to. Very common to have specific jewelry, watches, etc. on the schedule with a nominal up charge. Firearms are likely a different story. Geico wanted an official appraisal on mine, they would not accept actual receipts. Picture trying to load 100 firearms into a car, not damaging or scratching anything, and take it for an 'official appraisal' LOL. And even so, the appraiser would likely appraise at the sales receipt price. Or, your insurance company may not want your business as they could view you as an evil person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom