• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I've got a chance to go hunting in WV on a 600 acre property. Mostly mountainous, wooded, with some fields. We'll be hunting from tree stands. Can you guys give me some advice on caliber and rifle recommendations? My budget is $400 and I need a scope. My current #1 pick is the Savage Axis combo at Dicks...SS w/camo synth stock.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Hawks nailed it, I have several rifles and his #1 choice is my favorite. Browning BAR Mark II Safari with a steel receiver which is still light and comfortable to carry. It "MAGICALLY" bleeds off recoil to almost nothing so a day at the range with it is a romp in the park. If I "had" to have just one deer rifle, this is my choice.

Oh yeah, it's in 30-06 of course. :):thumbsup:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    as far as deer calibers, 30-06, .308 and .270 are the all time favorites and readily available anywhere incl walmart, dicks and all sporting goods stores.

will be tough to find a true quality rifle and scope for $400. my philosopy is to save up for nice stuff vs buying something i can afford today but may be a sacrifice at the time. could always borrow a buddy's rifle in the interim. or look at used at dealers or gunshows. rem 700, win 70, browning a bolt all great choices, so is tikka.

i recommend 2-7 or 3-9 scopes though fixed 4 power will work. i recommend at least 40mm objectives preferably 50mm to let in lots of light.

you (i) just don't want to get super budget stuff and then, after you have spent all the time and money traveling, scouting, getting up early, etc, have the gear not work or not be able to see the deer at last light.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    I've got a chance to go hunting in WV on a 600 acre property. Mostly mountainous, wooded, with some fields. We'll be hunting from tree stands. Can you guys give me some advice on caliber and rifle recommendations? My budget is $400 and I need a scope. My current #1 pick is the Savage Axis combo at Dicks...SS w/camo synth stock.

Here is a Remington 700 30-06 with a scope on Gunbroker:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=254971303

I have no connection with this auction.

:party29:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would avoid the Savage Axis and go for a more proven model 10, or the Stevens version. You should be able to get a combo in your price range in .308 or .270 that will work well.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Skip the Axis. Go for the Stevens model. Ether .270 or .30-06.

I just picked up a Tikka T3 Lite SS and mounted a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9/50 scope. Total spent was $970.00 at Cabelas.

This will probably be my first AND last hunting rifle purchase. So I wanted to make sure that I bought the best I could afford. It stretched my rifle budget by a couple of hundred, but mostly due to the scope being over $300 in itself.

The sales guy there told me that he has had customers come in and tell him "I want to buy my son a gun he can have for a lifetime, but only want to spend $300 on rifle/scope".

Doesn't make sense. If you are able to, save up a little more, and get something that will be much better for a few dollars more.

Maybe head up to that new place in Fawn Grove, PA. He probably has a good used selection for a decent price.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I paid like $360 out the door on a Remington 700 in 30-06 with a remington scope from the aberdeen walmart. It does everything i need it to. One day I will upgrde the scope.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    As everyone else has said, something with enough power to get the job done really means .30-06, .308, or .270 (or something similar.) You also want something that is accurate for the ranges you expect to be shooting and more importantly is LEGAL where you will be hunting.

In many parts of MD, for deer, you are limited to SHOTGUN ONLY WITH SLUGS. If you are in that boat, there is only one reasonable choice. 12 gauge.

Mark

PS - I might add, you don't "need" a scope... You would be amazed at how far you can really shoot with irons.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For your current oppertunity , an iron sighted .30-30 would meet your needs.

But to go with the flow of the conversation , any cal larger than .243 , that kicks less than a .300 mag will work.

As always , my prefered plan is to scout the usual suspects for interesting used combos. Deciding factor is how well particular gun fits you / balances / has decent trigger pull. .

The H&R / NEF single shots are very accurate , and very reasonable.

Rifles are hardware , optics are software . If push comes to shove , a better rifle with basic optics , upgrade in year or two if you still feel the need.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Buy a Remington 700 in .30-06, mount a Leupold 4.5X14 scope and you can hunt any big game in the lower 48 states, with the proper bullet choice.

Any properties I have been on in WV have had clear cuts where you can shoot hundreds of yards. While you may want to practice some (a lot) before taking a shot like that, there is no way you should buy an inferior (.30-30) cartridge and level action platform. There have been may improvements in firearms since 1894! Yes they have killed a lot of deer, no they are not cutting edge for quite some time (like the westerns of 1950's).

Good luck

Jerry

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Buy a Remington 700 in .30-06, mount a Leupold 4.5X14 scope and you can hunt any big game in the lower 48 states, with the proper bullet choice.

Any properties I have been on in WV have had clear cuts where you can shoot hundreds of yards. While you may want to practice some (a lot) before taking a shot like that, there is no way you should buy an inferior (.30-30) cartridge and level action platform. There have been may improvements in firearms since 1894! Yes they have killed a lot of deer, no they are not cutting edge for quite some time (like the westerns of 1950's).

Good luck

Jerry

Oh oh, now you're gonna piss off the hardheads. :D You didn't know....a 30-30 is what Carlos Hathcock used in his exploits and yes, it was a Marlin. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom