• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    I am not new to reloading rifle and pistol but I would like to get into shotgun reloading. Any advise on starting on a budget?

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Lead prices have gone way up and no primers available. If loading for target shooting better off buying shells by the flat or get in on a group buy at a local club. No budget way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Watch some Youtube videos of the Lee Load all shotgun press. Link of product below.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013166090
    Buy a lead melter (I have an extra one)
    Buy a mold of slugs, or buckshot, or bird shot...
    It pretty much pays for itself after a couple hundred shells.

After buying all this, lead, powder, a reloading book, 500 once used shells, wads....I think I spent about $300

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Jim,
    I too got in the 12/20 gauge reloading game late (Jan 2021) and I went all in fast because that is what I do. In two months I went to not even having a manual to the following.

3 MEC Presses
    200lbs is lead
    6k primers
    25lbs of powder
    10 bags of wads

I could not find target loads anywhere so my goal was not necessarily the save money per round but to have it available for me and my son to shoot trap & sporting clays. The learning curve was a little more challenging than it needed to be because I was making loads out of what was available and not based on what I wanted. I still think that I will save some CPR but it will be a at a much higher round count.

I say do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I am not new to reloading rifle and pistol but I would like to get into shotgun reloading. Any advise on starting on a budget?

Register a username and password for the “Shotgun Reloading” forums at ShotgunWorld.com: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=b31ad5813e0b2738f418deb0116f4061
    , make many pots of coffee, spend lots of time absorbing and above all else, READ THE STICKIES FOR THOSE NEW to shotshell reloading I.e., “New Reloaders - make it easy on yourself“: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=498334

OP, question for you: what gauge / gun are you shooting? If you’re shooting a o/u, pump or SxS 12ga loads with 3/4oz pellet load are positively easy peezy nowadays in any commercially available hulls (and 5/8oz in the current production Win AA “HS” hulls)! 20ga is even better with 1/2oz loads as easy to load now as 7/8oz always have been.

This is because wad mfrs such as ClayBuster and powder mfrs such as Alliant “saw the light” about 10 years and came out with wads and powder (“ExtraLite”) specifically designed for reloaders who got on the “lighter payload train” back in the 2000’s

But, if you’re shooting a semi-auto (ie Rem 1100 or any of the “B” semi-autos) 7/8oz is likely as low a payload you’ll be able to go.

Still, the savings are significant (and inside 35-40yards the targets won’t know the difference!)

Weight in Oz of lead shot per load: 5/8oz 3/4oz 7/8oz 1oz
    Number Boxes @ 25 Lb. bag of shot: 26 boxes 21 boxes 18 boxes 16 boxes

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I too load pistol & rifle rounds as well. I started reloading hulls mid-2021. I was able to source two MEC presses, primers, hulls, powder and shot. I'm not sure of my cost per round, and I dont wanna know, but it's certainly liberating to be able to reload my own rounds and not have to depend on scavenging local stores for whatever they may have on the shelves.

Go for it!

While at it, anyone close wanna barter for some CCI 209 Magnum or Cheddite 209 primers?

JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    Currently shooting Remington 870 and Stoeger M3k. A over/under will be next. Anyone have a 12 gauge over/under that I can use to dive into sporting clays? Cheap? Hehe I know over/under and cheap don’t go together.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    We had MEC Sizemasters when I was growing up - shotshells were first thing I reloaded. Having had that experience, I thought those presses were pretty slick, even back in the early 1980s. Hopefully MEC presses have gotten better over time. If I was looking to reload shotgun, that's what I'd get.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Currently shooting Remington 870 and Stoeger M3k. A over/under will be next. Anyone have a 12 gauge over/under that I can use to dive into sporting clays? Cheap? Hehe I know over/under and cheap don’t go together.

I have a M3K. It got me hooked on the clay shooting sports. I wanted a more durable clay gun. I just ponied up for a Browning Cynergy Composite. I considered used but went with a new "entry level" Browning model. I also considered a Silver Pigeon but did not want to spend 2G's on a shotgun. The Cynergy fits well and is easily adjusted.

Good luck in your search.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco

Don’t buy anything cheaper than a Browning or a Beretta.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    A MEC 600 JR. Is a bulletproof tank of a machine. A single stage press (one operation per pull of the handle, 7 pulls per shell) and great to learn on. BTW - MEC customer service is second to none.

Eventually, you'll want a progressive machine (one pull, one shell....does all 7 operations, on seven different shells, then rotates the whole group, ejecting a finished shell). There are plenty of choices out there depending on your budget.

I've been reloading shot shells for ~ 50 years. Started out around age 12 on a MEC 600 JR. and still use it for .410. Today, at 62, I also have three MEC 9000 progressive machines, manually operated for 20 and 28 gauge, and one on an Automate (electric actuator) for 12 gauge.

Primers and powder have been unicorns to find, and you won't save a lot on 12 and 20 loads, but it's enjoyable to do. BTW - if you get into 28 gauge and .410 shells you'll save tons of $$$$.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    I usually like Lee reloading equipment, but I have a Lee Load-All somewhere that I never could get to work right. I have MEC 600 Jr's in different gauges and they work great. Not the fastest, but used ones used to be cheap.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    sorry, I have been lazy replying to this. I am primarily a shotgunner though I shoot rifle and pistol as well. I have been loading since the 80's, I like reloading and I like trying new or new to me toys so I have tried a bunch of the options that are or used to be out there.
    I will start with under no circumstances would I use a Lee machine for anything except maybe slugs (I don't load slugs - they might be Ok for that)
    Unlike your metallic stuff, Dillon is not the top end here, that would be Spolar followed not closely by Ponsness Warren, I prefer the Mec progressives.
    You also don't need Spolar or an automate or hydraulic system for any of the high end progressives unless you have a bad shoulder or like cool toys.
    If you are starting rule 1 - don't buy a Lee, don't let anybody give you a Lee for free, if a friend tries to give you a Lee, he isn't really your friend....
    For entry level my advice is a Mec Jr or even an old Pacific or Bair single stage. These are well built, adjustable and user friendly. They do not resize shells well which only matters if you are picking up someone else's hulls or using more than one gun.
    A step up is a Mec Size master which will re-size your hulls as well but is still a single stage press.
    With Mec or Pacific shotgun loaders don't plan to get die sets and change gauges, just buy presses in each gauge you will load, you can do that with a Ponsness Warren single stage (it will hold 2 gauges dies at the same time - it is also more expensive than 2 Mec presses.
    Also, there are adjustable shot and powder bars which can save money over buying multiple bars and bushings, I am not a fan and don't use them
    If you are shooting a bunch you will eventually want a progressive, I prefer Mec Grabbers which are like a Dillon 550 in that you manually rotate the shell plate as you load - it keeps it simple and if you have a primer not drop or a spill its easy to deal with.
    I have owned Pacific 366's Hornady 366's, PW presses and mec 900's I just like the grabbers.
    I currently use Grabbers in 12 and 16 gauge and a Mec Jr for 10 gauge with a separate super sizer. I dont currently load 410 28 or 20 gauges.
    When you start you will find your bushings throw light for power and shot, its OK this is not precision reloading try to find the closest busing and bar that doesn't go over - you are loading by volume to get close to recipe weight - DO NOT GO OVER ON WEIGHT - DO NOT SUBSTITUTE PRIMERS OR POWDER or hulls unless you know the hull is OK (several brands use Cheddite hulls which are the same hull.
    Also remember when you load by volume in a shot bar bigger shot will weigh less as there is more air between the pellets.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    sorry, I have been lazy replying to this. I am primarily a shotgunner though I shoot rifle and pistol as well. I have been loading since the 80's, I like reloading and I like trying new or new to me toys so I have tried a bunch of the options that are or used to be out there.
    I will start with under no circumstances would I use a Lee machine for anything except maybe slugs (I don't load slugs - they might be Ok for that)
    Unlike your metallic stuff, Dillon is not the top end here, that would be Spolar followed not closely by Ponsness Warren, I prefer the Mec progressives.
    You also don't need Spolar or an automate or hydraulic system for any of the high end progressives unless you have a bad shoulder or like cool toys.
    If you are starting rule 1 - don't buy a Lee, don't let anybody give you a Lee for free, if a friend tries to give you a Lee, he isn't really your friend....
    For entry level my advice is a Mec Jr or even an old Pacific or Bair single stage. These are well built, adjustable and user friendly. They do not resize shells well which only matters if you are picking up someone else's hulls or using more than one gun.
    A step up is a Mec Size master which will re-size your hulls as well but is still a single stage press.
    With Mec or Pacific shotgun loaders don't plan to get die sets and change gauges, just buy presses in each gauge you will load, you can do that with a Ponsness Warren single stage (it will hold 2 gauges dies at the same time - it is also more expensive than 2 Mec presses.
    Also, there are adjustable shot and powder bars which can save money over buying multiple bars and bushings, I am not a fan and don't use them
    If you are shooting a bunch you will eventually want a progressive, I prefer Mec Grabbers which are like a Dillon 550 in that you manually rotate the shell plate as you load - it keeps it simple and if you have a primer not drop or a spill its easy to deal with.
    I have owned Pacific 366's Hornady 366's, PW presses and mec 900's I just like the grabbers.
    I currently use Grabbers in 12 and 16 gauge and a Mec Jr for 10 gauge with a separate super sizer. I dont currently load 410 28 or 20 gauges.
    When you start you will find your bushings throw light for power and shot, its OK this is not precision reloading try to find the closest busing and bar that doesn't go over - you are loading by volume to get close to recipe weight - DO NOT GO OVER ON WEIGHT - DO NOT SUBSTITUTE PRIMERS OR POWDER or hulls unless you know the hull is OK (several brands use Cheddite hulls which are the same hull.
    Also remember when you load by volume in a shot bar bigger shot will weigh less as there is more air between the pellets.

^^^^^^^^ GREAT post!

I've used a MEC 600 Jr. (pre-Mark V), it was OLD when I got it, in '79. Traded a non-working Sears 19" color tv for it, with my (now former) brother-in-law.
    Hey! He's the one that made the offer/deal!

I've loaded THOUSANDS of shotshells with this old workhorse!

I bought one of those "Universal Chargebars" and found it to be a POS, for me. Sold it on an old reloading bulletin board, on the 'net.
    Good riddance.

MEC chargebars and MEC bushings.
    I stepped away from Winchester wads (shot cups) and use Claybuster wads for 1-1/8 oz loads, and for 2-3/4" magnum loads, I use Remington RP-12 wads.
    Haven't loaded 3" shells since the early/mid '80s.

Alliant Red Dot powder.

Really like the OLD Winchester AA cases, Remington Gun Club, Remington STS, the old "Mowhawk" black hulls............. and my ALL TIME favorite, the OLD Peter's "Blue Magic" hulls (still have a BUNCH of once-fired Blue Magic hulls, that I 'squirreled away' decades ago!)

A few years ago, on the employee 'classifieds', a guy in Middletown, DE offered up a MEC 9000 for $125.00.
    I hurried up and bought that!
    He had loaded ONE BOX of 12 ga shells with it. It's on my bench, and isn't leaving.

Get a Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual and it will have all the data you'll need for loading.
    I'd be lost if something happened to my old manual.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

Man I wish I would of saw this earlier a guy I know just sold a Ponsness Warren 800C for 300 all it needed was "dusted off" had extra things
    with it, was upgraded also. Yeah it's an older model but, hey they work. I didn't need another one. If you are in no hurry I'll ask around, know
    some people, their "inventory" changes daily, probably hourly, I'll just ask them to be on the look-out, got 2 of them looking for another Star
    Pistol press for me.

Got back into 12ga little over 3 years ago, reloaded back in the 70's-90's lost interest, lost trash bags full of the old AA hulls during a move and
    the real pisser some old Federal paper hulls...

So if you need components, good luck.
    Primers....we all know that story
    Powder.....Same as Primers (use Red Dot Here)
    Shot........If you find it...dug deep, price is stupid.
    Hulls........If you don't have any find a way to get some, clubs, shoots.
    prefer the old AA hulls, Nitro's. STS ones
    Bout the only thing on my current list is 7.5 / 8 shot

As mentioned in another post, there are some forums to go to that will help you.

-Rock

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    ^^^^^^^^ GREAT post!

I've used a MEC 600 Jr. (pre-Mark V), it was OLD when I got it, in '79. Traded a non-working Sears 19" color tv for it, with my (now former) brother-in-law.
    Hey! He's the one that made the offer/deal!

I've loaded THOUSANDS of shotshells with this old workhorse!

I bought one of those "Universal Chargebars" and found it to be a POS, for me. Sold it on an old reloading bulletin board, on the 'net.
    Good riddance.

MEC chargebars and MEC bushings.
    I stepped away from Winchester wads (shot cups) and use Claybuster wads for 1-1/8 oz loads, and for 2-3/4" magnum loads, I use Remington RP-12 wads.
    Haven't loaded 3" shells since the early/mid '80s.

Alliant Red Dot powder.

Really like the OLD Winchester AA cases, Remington Gun Club, Remington STS, the old "Mowhawk" black hulls............. and my ALL TIME favorite, the OLD Peter's "Blue Magic" hulls (still have a BUNCH of once-fired Blue Magic hulls, that I 'squirreled away' decades ago!)

A few years ago, on the employee 'classifieds', a guy in Middletown, DE offered up a MEC 9000 for $125.00.
    I hurried up and bought that!
    He had loaded ONE BOX of 12 ga shells with it. It's on my bench, and isn't leaving.

Get a Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual and it will have all the data you'll need for loading.
    I'd be lost if something happened to my old manual.

good advice there...
    great deal on the 9000 wish I could fall into one of them..
    nice press.
    Lyman manual has everything..
    Use Red Dot here (still)
    First press was a Mec 650 years long ago
    Picked up other presses over time.

Universal charge bars...suck..don't use em anymore.

Hulls ...my trash bags of old AA's went MIA when I moved along with some
    old Federal paper hulls.. the ones that smell soo good when shot.
    Use the same wads also...

-Rock

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    I've loaded bout 500 on my lee. I like it. About 50 rounds in forty minute,its enjoyable. Shooting trap with a lightweight hun, 7\8 oz loads are a joy, and cannot be found locally in my area.

JimB

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick County, MD
    Some great posts here guys! I’m not in a giant hurry so if anyone finds a deal on press and/or components please let me know. Also looking for a beginner sporting clay over/under. I’ll take all the help I can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom