• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Like I said in the title, check out my first (functional) 3D printed ghosty-gun. The slide is a .22 conversion kit that fits on my printed Glock 19.

Thanks to our last private meeting with friends (thanks @welder516) before the long gun transfer law went through - I was able to source all of the parts/materials for roughly $200.

Additionally I threw together a magazine for my Glock 17 (out of state of course).

Enjoy - this is my celebration post after we defeated the stupid homemade firearm bills this year.

Attachments

• 20210414_214803.jpg
      20210414_214803.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 1,045
    • 20210414_215455.jpg
      20210414_215455.jpg
      39.5 KB · Views: 1,012
    Last edited:

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    that is awesome. Do you use one of the Creality printers? I recently saw some stuff on printing frames with those and it was pretty impressive. I was surprised at how affordable pretty serious printers are now.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I love that it lights up in blacklight.

I paid like $350 for my .22 conversion slide alone, so you did great. If you figure out how to get more mags for those, let me know.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    that is awesome. Do you use one of the Creality printers? I recently saw some stuff on printing frames with those and it was pretty impressive. I was surprised at how affordable pretty serious printers are now.

Yessir - Creality Ender 3. The cost of printing this firearm was about $4. I also ended up having to print the mag release in yellow as well, as I had broken the OEM mag release trying to fit the parts kit into a previous failed print.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Yessir - Creality Ender 3. The cost of printing this firearm was about $4. I also ended up having to print the mag release in yellow as well, as I had broken the OEM mag release trying to fit the parts kit into a previous failed print.

how difficult is it to get the printer set up and printing accurately?

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    how difficult is it to get the printer set up and printing accurately?
    I've probably put about 10-20 hours into general calibration/upgrades, and I've probably printed 50+ things over the last 4 months. It's one of those things where you get better at using the tool the more you use it.

I've learned a lot of things regarding how to get good prints. You have to use supports for overhangs. Brims and purple stick glue are usually necessary. Glass bed was a great upgrade. Different layer heights can change speed/quality - this frame was printed at a layer height of .12mm at 40mm/s.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I like it. It's like a piece of emergency equipment, which is appropriate for a gun in my book.

Here's an idea. Do a clear one and mold in an LED source that can be turned on when desired The light might be able to propagate through the plastic. Just some brainstorming. I've been exploring some GITD stuff lately. I got a knife handle scale material that is glow in the dark to see what that might be like on a knife kit.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    interesting. so you aren't using a one piece front rail plus locking block like the polymer 80s. Do you use an oem glock locking block?

I'd love to see more about your printer and what upgrades and things you have made to it.

Yup had to buy a separate Glock locking block. I was impatient and bought one on Amazon, technically it's not OEM.

The other upgrades I did:
    - Upgraded bed springs. The factory springs suck and require a relevel of the bed every print or two.
    - Patio paver. I'm serious. A cheap paver under the printer removes 50% of the sound.
    - Printed cable chains. These are necessary to keep the cables off the bed.
    - Printed Z axis motor spacers. These are necessary as the ender 3 being chinesium has some oddball tolerances, and without them the z axis will be crooked and bind up/not move correctly.

I didn't upgrade the control board because I have the pro version of the ender 3, which isn't the best but it's ok. Better boards mean better stepping drivers, which means more fluid motion and less janky movement on the motors.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    I like it. It's like a piece of emergency equipment, which is appropriate for a gun in my book.

Here's an idea. Do a clear one and mold in an LED source that can be turned on when desired The light might be able to propagate through the plastic. Just some brainstorming. I've been exploring some GITD stuff lately. I got a knife handle scale material that is glow in the dark to see what that might be like on a knife kit.

I'd love input on how to do this. The frame comes with a standard front mounting area for flashlights etc. If I could somehow find a light that could mount there, in reverse, maybe that could work. My other idea was a string of lights with a battery pack on my shirt or wrist.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Nick have the same ender 3 pro. Did the bed spring, spool holder cable router, bourdon tube, hot end, extruder from plastic to aluminum upgrade mods. Parts are cheap. Set up calibration is key for good prints.Had it for little over a year and love it for under 300.00 bucks.
    It’s in shop printing ar mag loaders as I post. Most files downloaded from thinkverse.

Printer paid for itself in two weeks by me selling golf cart flag holders at campground. Still printing back orders for Memorial Day celebration at campground.

Those wondering 3d printers do not need to be expensive and definetlly not difficult to learn to use. There are enough free print files on line no need to learn cad, ect. Designing to use printer.

Just got some glow in dark filament. What temp settings are you useing?
    Been Printing mostly pla and tpu rubber now.

Glad to see fellow 3d printer member on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom