• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I'm doing some digging and figured id throw a question out here. I came into a supply of green dot and am looking into what I can use it for pistol wise. Does anyone use it, used it at one time, or have some references for using it?

Not looking into a powder debate, my go to is tight group, but I lucked into 8lbs of it and would like to find a use for it.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    I’ve only used it in shotgun but read data for it in .44 mag and 45ACP. Not my first choice for either one.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Oddly, Green Dot was one of the first two pounds of powder I bought - in the very early 1980’s. Got it to use in 357 and 44 Magnum light loads. Not very good for that application.

The pressure peak develops too late to obturate the bullet base and seal the bullet to the chamber/bore in light loads. With heavier loads its pressure rise is more adequate.

I did determine it is best used in medium to light heavy handgun loads with a heavy crimp where the pressures are driven up some. Loads are about 950 to 1100 fps. Worked well enough I bought a second pound at a good price from another shooter many years later during 2012-13 frenzy. It is not my favorite but in 44 Magnum I actually prefer it to IMR 4227.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I myself have never used Green Dot in a pistol load.

That said, in times of need, Green Dot is an example of "what's old can be new again."

Pistol load data for "The Dots" was once extensively published.
    In more recent years, it seems that Alliant greatly reduced its published support of pistol load data, where it involved their shotgun powders. But the further you go back in time with their manuals, the more "Dot" pistol data you'll tend to find.

If I were to generalize, it would be to lean on the side of caution anytime with any data that is old. Again generalizing, old data vs. today's data has a tendency to be comparatively hot. Also, powder formulations can and do change over time. Always best to work up loads as best practice generally. But published data did indeed exist, and can today at least serve as a reference and a baseline. Because when it comes to "The Dots", these particular wheels were long ago invented.

Hope the attached can be a useful reference for someone looking for Green Dot and similar options.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Alliant.html

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Intended use for right now can be 9mm, 45 acp, 38/357 pistol and lever gun, 30-30.

I scored 6 lbs or so of it so I figured id put it to use. Ive found sone 38,9mm,and 45 acp stuff, but I was asking for first hand experience with it outside the 20 guage world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom