Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 20th, 2021, 11:17 AM #21

The Lyman reloading manual (and others) also have a lot of good info on reloading in the front of the book.

As for components, buy what you can find, and then take a look at the barter thread. There are people who have primers, who are willing to trade.

Some may even be nice enough to trade 100 primers for a powder that the don't really need.

BTW, if you haven't started, PICK UP BRASS. For common calibers, you can pick up enough range brass to get you started and beyond. And even if it is not a caliber you shoot, you can try trading.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2021, 11:32 AM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDuck View Post
All,
Thanks for everything provided, darn glad I found MD Shooters! Appears first step is to get some books, done I ordered 1. The ABC's of Reloading, 2. Barnes Reloading, 3. The Beginners guide to Reloading.
Second step decide what kind of re loader I am going to be. "Mucho mass" or "Small batch perfecto"! Probably somewhere in the middle, but I wont have time restraints.
Questions asked what calibers.
9mm pistol rounds and/or .45 ACP FYI I don't currently have a 45. but a 1911, is in my future, it will replace for the most part recreational use of the 9mm, and I have a large qty of 9mm's stocked.
.223 YES other than one of the 2 above this will be made the most
30-06 yes many, Side note and project, can I self load, so that each round is interchangeable between the M1 Garand and my Remington model 700 & Winchester model 70,

And that is it currently. Once up and running I will probably try to expand to reload almost all the calibers I have. 22, 38, 357, 44, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 308, shotguns probably only 12 ga. but that's just getting greedy!
Congrats! You are well on your way! Both of your intro books are very helpful. You might also consider a 2nd reloading manual, from one of the larger bullet manufacturers such as Hornady or Sierra. It can make things easier starting out in a variety of ways, not the least of which is that these brands tend to dominate on the shelf availability in times of normal supply. Be aware also that Barnes was recently aquired by Clarus, Sierra's parent company. How these bullet lines merge remains to be seen.

Yes you can, with regard to your '06 question. Primarily your Garand that will require a bit of some special consideration.

22 rimfire is technically reloadable, but differs from your other cartridges mentioned. Becomes a matter of whether or not you think it's worth it. 12ga. "shotshells", should you deem these to be worth your time from a cost standpoint, will require a different press and components than the "metallics" you listed.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2021, 11:34 AM #23
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
You also have to look at how much you shoot.

If you shoot 500 rounds of pistol a year, a Dillon, which can load up to 1000 rounds per hour, would be overkill.

BUT, if you are really short on available time, the time savings may be worth it for you.

Also, what rounds will your reload? Large magnum rounds need something different than high volume pistol.

My suggestion is typically to start with a quality single stage press. RCBS, Lyman, etc. You will always find times with it is the best tool for the job.

Then start learning, and see where it takes you. And that will point you to the next step.

I started a Lyman kit. No tumbler. And loaded and shot a lot of .45 ACP and .223 with that setup.

Later I got a Dillion 650, and have loaded a LOT of pistol and .223 on that setup. But I still use my single stage for precision rifle rounds and for working up loads.
I don't think I'd ever want to load rifle on anything but a single stage press, with maybe the exception of 223 - if I ever really get into shooting my ARs, I'm going to want the additional speed of the progressive.

With that said, for the person only shooting 500 rounds a year, even those folks could benefit from a progressive press. It's SO much easier when you realize that every pull of the handle is a completed round of ammunition. I didn't particularly enjoy reloading when I was doing it with a single-stage press. With single stage I did it because it was a means to an end. With progressive It's just nice to be able to see so much more productivity with so much less time.

It's probably a true statement to say that reloaders shoot more many non-reloaders, simply due to costs. Let's say that a person is shooting 500 rounds/year but they don't reload. I'd bet they go to the range MUCH more once they start reloading. I know I did. I was no longer beholden to the whims of ammo pricing, and when I first started reloading, the costs per box were drastically different than if I had purchased them. I felt like it gave me the freedom to shoot as much as I wanted.
Old January 20th, 2021, 11:34 AM #24

here's my list that got me started with .223.

redding t7 turret press $337.00 ordered
wilson trimmer $163.00 ordered
tray $8.00 ordered
rcbs matchmaster seater die .223 $114.00 ordered midway
redding full length sizing die small base .223 $51.00 ordered midway
lyman tumbler $66.00 ordered
chargemaster lite elec trickler scale $250.00 ordered brownells
wilson trimmer case holder $11.00 ordered midway

sierra rifle reloading dvd $33.00 back in stock notification
sierra manual $37.00 ordered midway
jp case gauge .223 $37.00 ordered
lyman case lube kit $24.00 ordered midway

redding case holder #10 $15.00 ordered midway

chamfering tool $19.00 ordered
primer pocket cleaner $30.00 ordered

$1,195.00

of course this doesn't include primers, powder, bullets, casings (or range pickup), etc etc etc
already have a micrometer
davsco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2021, 11:36 AM #25

It's cliche , because it's true : As much or as little as you wish to spend . From under $100 to multi thousand $ .

But seriously , Primers are the limiting factor . If you don't already have a stack , you won't for a year- ish ( I used to hear a year from my sources 6 months ago , now I'm hearing a year real time .) Most of my previous sources are now totally dry , except for those rationing their last cpl bricks 100 to customer .
Biggfoot44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2021, 02:23 PM #26

Welcome to the hobby. There are as many opinions on reloading equipment as there are reloaders.
Low cost low volume, Lee Loader. $30 and a hammer and you can reload whatever calibers are available.
The absolute minimum I would suggest is the Lee hand press. That plus a set of dies and consumables and you can begin experimenting

My first setup, which I am still using, Lee Classic Turrett press. Set up a turret for each caliber and just plug in a new turret to change calibers.

First step, get several books and read. I have Lyman, Lee, and Hornady. Lee has a nice conversational discussion of the basic process for newbies. Pick the best tools you can afford. For pistol calibers, go for the 4 die set with Carbide inserts.

My present setup
Lee classic turrett press
one turret for each caliber
Auto Drum powder measure
Safety prime on press primer
Rockford arsenal electronic powder scale
Rockford Arsenal vibrating case cleaner
bag of reptile bedding from petsmart ( ground walnut shells)

As others have said, consumables and reloading equipment are presently really had to get. If I were starting out today, I'd get the books, read and put together a list of items to purchase once the supply gets more reasonable.

Last edited by ras_oscar; January 20th, 2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: pht phngrs mk bd splng
ras_oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2021, 04:06 PM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
I don't think I'd ever want to load rifle on anything but a single stage press, with maybe the exception of 223 - if I ever really get into shooting my ARs, I'm going to want the additional speed of the progressive.

With that said, for the person only shooting 500 rounds a year, even those folks could benefit from a progressive press. It's SO much easier when you realize that every pull of the handle is a completed round of ammunition. I didn't particularly enjoy reloading when I was doing it with a single-stage press. With single stage I did it because it was a means to an end. With progressive It's just nice to be able to see so much more productivity with so much less time.

It's probably a true statement to say that reloaders shoot more many non-reloaders, simply due to costs. Let's say that a person is shooting 500 rounds/year but they don't reload. I'd bet they go to the range MUCH more once they start reloading. I know I did. I was no longer beholden to the whims of ammo pricing, and when I first started reloading, the costs per box were drastically different than if I had purchased them. I felt like it gave me the freedom to shoot as much as I wanted.
My point was, it doesn't make sense to spend $1500+ or a reloading rig that you use for 30 minutes per year.

Some people shoot all they want, so reloading does not mean shooting more. It means shoot cheaper.
Old January 20th, 2021, 04:08 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsco View Post
here's my list that got me started with .223.

redding t7 turret press $337.00 ordered
wilson trimmer $163.00 ordered
tray $8.00 ordered
rcbs matchmaster seater die .223 $114.00 ordered midway
redding full length sizing die small base .223 $51.00 ordered midway
lyman tumbler $66.00 ordered
chargemaster lite elec trickler scale $250.00 ordered brownells
wilson trimmer case holder $11.00 ordered midway

sierra rifle reloading dvd $33.00 back in stock notification
sierra manual $37.00 ordered midway
jp case gauge .223 $37.00 ordered
lyman case lube kit $24.00 ordered midway

redding case holder #10 $15.00 ordered midway

chamfering tool $19.00 ordered
primer pocket cleaner $30.00 ordered

$1,195.00

of course this doesn't include primers, powder, bullets, casings (or range pickup), etc etc etc
already have a micrometer
That is NOT a basic starter setup. You can start off without a tumbler.

And you REALLY don't NEED a Chargemaster.

And unless you are looking at loading match ammo, a basic set of RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, etc dies will do fine.
Old January 20th, 2021, 04:25 PM #29

Good info, I am working on a loose list of items, until I get the books in hand and begin reading. At the Chantilly show I will price/purchase some brass, powder and maybe a few of the tools Davsco listed.
I have a some brass saved from my time at the range. 9and 223.
I am excited to get working on this! Maybe in not to long of a time from now( 6 mos), I will be posting a photo or two of my shiny better than new cartridges!
IronDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2021, 05:11 PM #30
retired undertaker

retired undertaker

Sent you a pm

God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever.

Thomas Jefferson
BigCity is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading