• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I see no problems here. I've mailed out suppressors for service and have them mailed back to me. Almost the same thing, right?

No.

You can mail a firearm and get it back for service.

You cannot buy a firearm and have it mailed to your house (unless you have your C&R FFL and are buying C&R firearm).

The only thing close to this is CMP, that can sell you a rifle and ship it directly to you. But I think that required Congress to agree.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Mailing your suppressor to you is the big claim to fame of Silencer Central. Their prices are fairly poor though. They have a line of suppressors made by Mack Bros that they push hard. I assume they are solid, but probably not worthy of the hype they get from SC. Anyway they are a well known entity in the silencer world and customers usually have positive things to say about them.

My local FFL actually offers this service, though I prefer to stop by their store.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No.

You cannot buy a firearm and have it mailed to your house (unless you have your C&R FFL and are buying C&R firearm).

The only thing close to this is CMP, that can sell you a rifle and ship it directly to you. But I think that required Congress to agree.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I was assuming there was a way to transfer directly to the end user. Otherwise, impossible, no? ;)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Hansohn Brothers has offered that here in VA for a while

https://hansohnbrothers.com/how-to-buy-a-silencer/

No.

Page 12 details how an FFL can transfer a firearm to someone who does not appear in person.

Page 54, bottom of middle row explains that NFA items approved for transfer are exempt from the NICS

https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download

The portion of the CMP involved with surplus .22 and .30 cal firearms exists by law outside the FFL system.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/40733

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This is for IN STATE transfers only, correct?

Doesn’t appear that way, no. If you look at the website it says it’s good in 42 states, I assume there are 8 states where suppressors are illegal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Doesn’t appear that way, no. If you look at the website it says it’s good in 42 states, I assume there are 8 states where suppressors are illegal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, this is bad, very bad.... I finally broke my SS addiction once.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I mite have to give it a go for a 9mm can but I'm turned off by the wait time , I got all mine when it was only a few months then everyone jumped on the wagon and it shot up

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

For suppressors, yes. Federal law only allows FFLs to transfer long guns to non residents. All other firearms, like suppressors, can only be transferred to residents of the same state.

The out of state vendor/distributor has to transfer the suppressor to an FFL in your state. Then, the FFL in your state transfers the suppressor to you on a Form 4, which can possibly be done remotely

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Yes but for Silencer Central “in state” = 42 states, I assume including Maryland. Because they are federally licensed in each one of those states.

Just to be clear this isn’t magic and you still have to fill out all the same paperwork you would with any other dealer. You do exactly all the same things. In fact literally any dealer can do this if they choose to. But the vast majority choose not to. Probably because it is hard to sell you more stuff when you aren’t physically in the store.

What I like about Hansohn Bros (my local FFL) is that they work with multiple distributors, including Silencer Shop. So I get the best of all worlds, and cheap transfer fees to boot. And they would mail me my suppressor if I wanted to do it that way. But I trust myself a lot more than the mail, so I don’t.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Yes but for Silencer Central “in state” = 42 states, I assume including Maryland. Because they are federally licensed in each one of those states.

Somehow I think there's more to it , He said that he had gotten 2 variances from the ATF , I'm sure he won't put what they are on his website then others would apply for them too ,
    I'm only guessing it has to do with having a physical location in each state because that is a requirement for a FFL & SOT , The question is does he pay for a FFL 300.00 for 3 years and 500.00 every year for SOT in each state , I just don't see how that would be a profitable venture . I'm sure he isn't going to spill it otherwise everyone would do it .

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Maddox puts right on his website that he has two variances per site approved by the ATF, which he claims cost him about $20k in legal fees. Variances are typically confidential to the company that receives them, so I don’t expect he would share them. In each state he has another FFL/SOT (typically a home based operation) as his Responsible Party. Who pays what fees and how much those fees are is probably not information SC would be willing to provide.

What those variances DO NOT cover, and this is really the major point I am trying to get across, is that literally anyone who can transfer a silencer legally to you can do this. See ATF Procedure 2020-1.

And again, I’m not knocking SC on anything but pricing, as America needs as many sales as possible in the NFA industry. I wish them as much success as possible. I just wish their prices were better.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hansohn Brothers has offered that here in VA for a while

https://hansohnbrothers.com/how-to-buy-a-silencer/

Page 12 details how an FFL can transfer a firearm to someone who does not appear in person.

Page 54, bottom of middle row explains that NFA items approved for transfer are exempt from the NICS

https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download

The portion of the CMP involved with surplus .22 and .30 cal firearms exists by law outside the FFL system.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/40733

Interesting.

Never knew that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom