HoCo
    I have 200 rounds reloaded I feel good now
    I shoot 50 rounds, now have 150 rounds. Time to reload
    Reload 100 rounds, now I have 250 rounds, I feel good now
    I shoot 100 rounds, now I have 150 rounds. Time to reload
    Reload 200 rounds, now I have 350 rounds. I feel good now
    I shoot 100 rounds, now I have 250 rounds. Time to reload
    Reload 200 rounds, now I have 450 rounds. I feel good now

Anyone else end up like this or am I alone?

I shot 100 rounds of 223 this weekend and just finished loading up 600 rounds for past 2 days. I feel good now with my 223 (I have much more than 600 BTW, probably the most I have ever had)

I had let my 9mm dwindle down to almost none due to the low supply of SPP but am now working my way back up after emptying out what I reloaded last Friday. I don't think I'll feel good till next week as I need to mold some more 9mm and powder coat it.

I shoot more in the fall/winter/early spring than the summer (that is when I fish) so I feel the need to build up the stores.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The problem is that I can burn hundreds of rounds a day in a class or even a match (Steel Challenge with 2 guns being a real killer)... so keeping ahead is a real struggle. I don't want to be in a position where I've got to panic-load the night before. So, as far as I'm concerned, a bigger buffer is a better buffer. It also lessens component shortage panic, since I can use the buffer to buy myself some time while I source components.

I mean, let me look at my schedule to the end of the year:
    1. 300rds 9mm pistol class
    2. 200rds 9mm + 200rds 223 2gun class
    3. 100rds 9mm IDPA RSO class
    4. 250rds 223 carbine class
    5. 1000rds 9mm pistol class (2 days)
    6. 250rd 9mm pistol class

It adds up fast! And that's ignoring matches, practice, or other stuff that will probably greatly increase the counts on top of that. So even looking at my pile of ammo and going "yay I have 1500 rounds of 9mm" is frankly not all that impressive given the speed I burn through it (which is to say, 750-1k a month on average). I spend a LOT of time cranking on my Dillon 650, as you can imagine, and I also spend more time than I'd like trying to process 223 brass. And G-d help me if I change my load recipes, which then means I need to find time to test the new load before I jump back to mass production mode.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    (laughs in 3 gunner)

223 processed.jpg

not mine, borrowed from another site

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    (laughs in 3 gunner)
    The funny thing is that most 3gun matches don't really require all that much 223, as long as you're not missing. I go through way, way more 9mm, at least for my shooting.

Also, if you're processing literally barrels of brass, that is a whole 'nother level of reloading and requires stuff like autodrives to be practical.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The funny thing is that most 3gun matches don't really require all that much 223, as long as you're not missing. I go through way, way more 9mm, at least for my shooting.

Also, if you're processing literally barrels of brass, that is a whole 'nother level of reloading and requires stuff like autodrives to be practical.

just a joke,not my brass(although I wish) I usually do 5K batches of 9 and 5.56 over the winter, those fit in 5gal buckets. Usually go through about the same of each for 3 gun, but do shoot more steel and USPSA matches with 9 pistols and PCCs, so have had to do mid-season runs in the past, although not this year, with the insanity, first time in maybe 15 years I haven't competed.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I have 200 rounds reloaded I feel good now
    I shoot 50 rounds, now have 150 rounds. Time to reload
    Reload 100 rounds, now I have 250 rounds, I feel good now
    I shoot 100 rounds, now I have 150 rounds. Time to reload
    Reload 200 rounds, now I have 350 rounds. I feel good now
    I shoot 100 rounds, now I have 250 rounds. Time to reload
    Reload 200 rounds, now I have 450 rounds. I feel good now

Anyone else end up like this or am I alone?

I shot 100 rounds of 223 this weekend and just finished loading up 600 rounds for past 2 days. I feel good now with my 223 (I have much more than 600 BTW, probably the most I have ever had)

I had let my 9mm dwindle down to almost none due to the low supply of SPP but am now working my way back up after emptying out what I reloaded last Friday. I don't think I'll feel good till next week as I need to mold some more 9mm and powder coat it.

I shoot more in the fall/winter/early spring than the summer (that is when I fish) so I feel the need to build up the stores.

This thread rocks!
    Nice to know there are others...

That big-@ss barrel of shiny brass made my day.
    Just what the doctor ordered after the EVH news yesterday...

OP, yes, this is me too. Your numbers are close to my "tolerances" for hunting rifles - but for high volume calibers, it's go big or go home - the stash buffers must be maintained!

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    i've neve actually counted how may rounds I have. one ammo can for each caliber i shoot and i'm good.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    (laughs in 3 gunner)

View attachment 295886

not mine, borrowed from another site

Now that is what I call "prepping"!

Back in March when I was stuck at home, I was cleaning brass in the vibe and also in the wet tumbler. I have NEVER caught up on prepping all I have on the shelves in big plastic tubs. I have NO idea why, but I was not prepping 9mm for some reason. I THOUGH I had enough loaded and primed but was wrong and shot so much in the early spring with my son when the range opened up. I have components but got caught with my pants down on Primers and finally catching up and storing my powder in these little brass cylinders with a lead cap on the top.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Reloading fun. Having the kids look in the grass for three hours to find the brass they lost.

I am bringing my youngest son with me anytime I go anywhere. He finds where I shot the deer before I can find the initial spot and blood trail start. Finds the spots I can’t in the woods trailing it (even if he doesn’t notice the deer laying there 40yds away).

At the range yesterday he went 100% for finding my 30 carbine brass after shooting 21 reloads and 30 commercial. That much unless I was using a brass catcher I’d probably lose at least a couple pieces in to the gravel at IWLA. He actually caught a couple pieces in the air (I’d given him my gloves).

Shot pretty well himself never having used aperture sights. He’s 10.

But as for the feeling, well yeah. Same with components.

Gets a box of SPP. Loads 50 rounds. Now has 950 left. Need to find more SPP. Almost out.

Scores 2 boxes of SPP, feels pretty good. Loads 200 rounds. Now has 2750. Need to find more SPP.

Rinse and repeat. This is his next of kin finds a basement and offsite storage unit with six lifetimes worth of ammo and reloading supplies.

That said, I really could use. A box of LPP. But I’ll manage. Can always load SPP in SPP 45 cases if I run dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom