• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie3587

Aug 16, 2020
    DUNDALK
    Building my 1st rifle a M5/AR10 .308 using Aero Precision receivers i'm looking for suggestions for Gas Systems, Buffers and BCG's... Trying to avoid Rookie Gasing Issues if at all possible... Thanks

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    You have to be careful selecting certain parts when it comes to ar10s. Theres 2 different paterns: dpms and armalite. I believe aero precision like most are patterned on dpms so your barrel and bcg need to be dpms patterned. The lower parts can be tricky on some and can be a combination of different parts so do a google search on that. Aim surplus branded bcg are good for the money and I believe made by aero precision. I'd suggest an adjustable gas block for ar10s but find one that's easy to adjust with the handgaurd on.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have built a few M5s, they are high tang DPMS compatible. Their LPK works, but use the KAK "special extended mag catch" and any AR15 mag release(I like extended releases) the lower is wider so they use a standard catch and proprietary long release button. For buffers, you have 3 choices, 2.5" 308 buffer with standard M4 tube, standard M4 buffer with A5 buffer tube, or 308 rifle buffer with standard rifle tube. I like the A5 tube/3.25" buffer(use an H3) little more room for the spring to compress, and easier to swap buffers if you want to tune it. I really like the UBR2 stock, it's A5 length and solid for use with the heavier caliber. Most stocks LOP will be 1/2" longer compared to an AR15, making some like the PRS3 too long at nearly 15" minimum.

Gas system length with Aero/BA and Faxon barrels use standard AR15 tube, but some other brands may need a slightly longer or odd size tube. Use an adjustable block, 308/7.62 varies wildly, some 308 is really hot and needs to be choked off quite a bit, surplus 7.62 and cheap Tula are really light and need to be wide open. I've only used Aero BCGs, and they work fine, but others have had luck with Toolcraft, Faxon and others. I like Aero handguards so they are all I have used, generally using the same brand for receivers/handguard/LPK/BCG will keep you out of trouble. Be sure to use a trigger with full power springs and at least mil spec weight hammer(or AR10 version of aftermarket) if you plan on using surplus or steel cased ammo, some AR15 triggers don't hit hard enough to light them reliably.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    You have to be careful selecting certain parts when it comes to ar10s. Theres 2 different paterns: dpms and armalite. I believe aero precision like most are patterned on dpms so your barrel and bcg need to be dpms patterned.

There's also the Gen 1 vs Gen 2 issue with DPMS pattern, i.e. low vs high rails. That can be an issue for handguard, gas block/front sight, and other part compatibility.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    Definitely go with a heavier hammer weight in the trigger. I just got done building 2 AR10's with all Aero parts (uppers and lowers) except for the triggers. The Rise Armament Rave 140 trigger did not have enough weight to hit the firing pin to reliably ignite military surplus ammo. Tried it again with an Elftmann AR10 trigger and the issue was gone. I put a UBR2 on the second one and it is very nice. Why not just get a complete upper from Aero if you are concerned?

charlie3587

Aug 16, 2020
    DUNDALK
    Definitely go with a heavier hammer weight in the trigger. I just got done building 2 AR10's with all Aero parts (uppers and lowers) except for the triggers. The Rise Armament Rave 140 trigger did not have enough weight to hit the firing pin to reliably ignite military surplus ammo. Tried it again with an Elftmann AR10 trigger and the issue was gone. I put a UBR2 on the second one and it is very nice. Why not just get a complete upper from Aero if you are concerned?
    I'm buying it piece buy, piece for budget reasons, i went with all aero for the receivers, and hanguard. The Barrel is Ballistic Adv. 16" 1/10 Tac Gov. I know AR10's have gas issues so i'm asking for good Buffer, BCG ,and Gas Block Combos

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom