• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    dayum!!! luckily he didn't try to spoon or snuggle in the sheets with you last nite! henry, put that thing back in your pants, we had sex last week...

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    We lived in an old farmhouse in Md and you would sometimes see skins from black snakes shed in the cellar. My wife took a skin one time and draped it over the shower head when I went to bed so it was ready for me in the morning. I did a good bit of hunting thru the house that morning. Real nice girl. :)

That sure was no black snake. Real good you guys weren't bit.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    We lived in an old farmhouse in Md and you would sometimes see skins from black snakes shed in the cellar. My wife took a skin one time and draped it over the shower head when I went to bed so it was ready for me in the morning. I did a good bit of hunting thru the house that morning. Real nice girl. :)

That sure was no black snake. Real good you guys weren't bit.

I'm pretty sure black snakes eat copperheads...(black snakes matter).

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Making the place less inviting has been our MO - we've been making the place and property around the house less appealing for snakes for the last two years since we moved in and saw our first copperheads roughly a month later. Consulted DNR and a local wildlife service. The original landscaping was very nice, but an unmitigated nightmare from the perspective of having rodents and snakes around - think hillside and flower beds covered in tall pampas grass, thick English ivy, etc. Perfect habitat and cover. That is 99% gone now and we are indeed seeing fewer signs of snakes. Pampas grass is hell to kill btw. We have not seen any sign of rodents in the house (have a annual pest control inspections jic), but chipmunks are all over outside. We know we will never be "clear" of snakes here, our property is bounded on three sides by forested state land and in an area know for copperheads. We are just hoping to reduce the number of encounters.

The .308 is usually my "go to" choice, but for slightly larger game than snakes!

Sounds like you are way ahead of my help. I guess it's time to seal it up!

And you don't want more to seal up with .308 holes in the floor, or wall ;)

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    So, Ms. 308Scout discovered this in our bedroom upon waking up this morning. I saw her jump back and let out a healthy "WTF" before I jolted out of bed. Fortunately, I was able to trap it and neither of us or our dog were bitten. A local wildlife service/trapper is coming out to collect it and do a thorough inspection for possible entry points to the house later today. Unfortunately, our locale is fairly thick with copperheads. Today I was reminded that adrenaline is a far more effective wake-up call than caffeine.

I'm surprised your dog didn't alert. All of the copperheads that I've come across have a pretty strong musky smell like cucumbers. I've smelled about half of them before I've seen them. Glad you're all okay.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I'm surprised your dog didn't alert. All of the copperheads that I've come across have a pretty strong musky smell like cucumbers. I've smelled about half of them before I've seen them. Glad you're all okay.

Thanks! Our little dog is a senior Jack Russell who has cataracts, lost most of her hearing and can sleep through pretty much anything. Her sense of smell is still intact, though, and she follows her nose when outside. She let us know about a bear passing outside the fence line earlier in the summer without seeing it or hearing it. We keep a close watch on her because it.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    I keep a revolver .38 and .22 Walther with rat shot for such occasions, and have seen 2 juveniles on the driveway this spring and one juvenile hanging next to a sub-panel in a Crawlspace. Only adult I’ve seen, while weed whacking, disappeared into a rotting wood pile.

I am told that they will seek cooler areas when it is hot out.

I was also told that they are ambush hunters.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it was my house there would be a wife shaped opening through the house walls...through the bricks and all...and I'd be right behind her. I've very snake phobic.

Ida just leaned over and set the carpet on fire and then hope we could jump out a window fast enough.

F that noise.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    OHHHHHHHHHH NOOO NO NO NO
    camelback crickets scare me

Those spider crickets? Yeah screw them. Last house was lousy with them. I fixed some of the entry issues and did a lot of judicious eradication with wasp spray, a boat and some girly screams upon occasion and after about a year I’d find a dead one about once a week (thank you cats!) and a love one maybe once a month.

Rather than half a dozen a day.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    Those spider crickets? Yeah screw them. Last house was lousy with them. I fixed some of the entry issues and did a lot of judicious eradication with wasp spray, a boat and some girly screams upon occasion and after about a year I’d find a dead one about once a week (thank you cats!) and a love one maybe once a month.

Rather than half a dozen a day.

always saw black crickets when we lived in PA no issues but these peckerheads in the garage jump as high as my boobs, and all i did was get a trash bag for garage can! hubby just laughs Grrrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom