• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    To date, I have not been an AK-47 fan. But, I would consider one as an SBR, just because. Not dead set just yet, but thinking about it.

What are good candidate AK pistols? I would like to have a 12" or so barrel (11 to 14" I guess), and it obviously has to be 29" or more OAL. Saw this one at Atlantic guns as an example. But I would like to be able to install all AK furniture once it's approved.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/milled-ak47-pistol-brace-package-hg4899n

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    To date, I have not been an AK-47 fan. But, I would consider one as an SBR, just because. Not dead set just yet, but thinking about it.

What are good candidate AK pistols? I would like to have a 12" or so barrel (11 to 14" I guess), and it obviously has to be 29" or more OAL. Saw this one at Atlantic guns as an example. But I would like to be able to install all AK furniture once it's approved.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/milled-ak47-pistol-brace-package-hg4899n

I dont believe Pistols have to meet the >=29 OAL requirement, only SBRs.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Personally I went with a Draco, but ended up not SBRing it. I went with that so it can travel more places with me. That said I went the opposite of traditional furniture and tacticooled it out with bolt on American stuff.

My build included:
    Sig 1913 side folding buffer adapter
    SBA3 Brace + buffer
    SBA3 split fix
    Krebs Custom ambi safety
    Magpul pistol grip
    Circle 10 AK zhukov compatible charging handle
    Master Mount (removed the shepherds hook retainer)
    KNS Adjustable Gas Piston
    Midwest Industries 30mm scope mount
    Trijicon Accupoint 1-4
    SLR 9" hand guard + railed gas tube
    Magpul MLOK covers + handstop
    Arisaka Defense mlok finger stop
    Arisaka Defense 300 scout light (may switch to a 600)
    Arisaka Defense extended scout light mount
    Dead Air Wolverine
    Dead Air Sandman E Brake

Just finished the build, taking it to the range this week.
    Need to get the piston tuned to hopefully run subsonic and supersonic ammo reliably. Will be a good get home gun.

ETA: Yes it is as ridiculous as it sounds. No I don't care. I love it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Personally I went with a Draco, but ended up not SBRing it. I went with that so it can travel more places with me. That said I went the opposite of traditional furniture and tacticooled it out with bolt on American stuff.

My build included:
    Sig 1913 side folding buffer adapter
    SBA3 Brace + buffer
    SBA3 split fix
    Krebs Custom ambi safety
    Magpul pistol grip
    Circle 10 AK zhukov compatible charging handle
    Master Mount (removed the shepherds hook retainer)
    KNS Adjustable Gas Piston
    Midwest Industries 30mm scope mount
    Trijicon Accupoint 1-4
    SLR 9" hand guard + railed gas tube
    Magpul MLOK covers + handstop
    Arisaka Defense mlok finger stop
    Arisaka Defense 300 scout light (may switch to a 600)
    Arisaka Defense extended scout light mount
    Dead Air Wolverine
    Dead Air Sandman E Brake

Just finished the build, taking it to the range this week.
    Need to get the piston tuned to hopefully run subsonic and supersonic ammo reliably. Will be a good get home gun.

ETA: Yes it is as ridiculous as it sounds. No I don't care. I love it.

I'd like to see a picture of this gun. It's an AK pistol, ridiculous is fine.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Do not buy that Century C39. I recommend an imported AK pistol like the Draco or ZPAP if you are looking for 7.62.

This. Definitely don’t go with the C39/C39V2 pistols. The form 1 will get denied. I found out the hard way. Maryland added the C39V2 rifle to the banned list between when I bought my C39V2 and when I submitted the form 1. I regret not getting the Draco.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    This. Definitely don’t go with the C39/C39V2 pistols. The form 1 will get denied. I found out the hard way. Maryland added the C39V2 rifle to the banned list between when I bought my C39V2 and when I submitted the form 1. I regret not getting the Draco.

The C39 also has a cast trunnion which is likely to fail and become a grenade:

https://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417962

OP if you've got coin, the Arsenal rifles and pistols are a good option if you can find them (top:SLR-104UR/AKS-74u clone, bottom: K-USA KP-9/Vityaz clone)

L4pz160.jpg

The SLR-104UR will be a rifle with the folding latch and you'll have to cut the barrel down. The SLR-106UR (5.56) and SLR-107UR (7.62) come as pistols with the folding latch closed, they will need to be opened and small hardware added.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Was the 1913 mount swap a simple Bolt R&R? or drilling required?
    It came with the 1913 rail installed. I haven't looked at it too carefully, but my guess is they drilled the same sized hole that they would to mount a sling loop. You can do the same thing with a Stormwerks type adapter.

Or get real fancy and replace the entire rear trunnion with one of these:

https://www.jmac-customs.com/mrkt-draco/

I think it's really cool to see American manufacturers building unprecedented modularity into AK pattern rifles. Now you can get the ergonomics and standardized accessories of the AR pattern on the AK.

Another cool rail option for those willing to take a dremel to their AKs:

https://occamdefense.com/merc-freefloat-handguard/

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    You can make a PAP M92 into an SBR in MD. My friend TyFromMD has one. Here is mine. It’s been a fun gun to shoot.

Attachments

• AE75B325-9472-48C2-94F4-95350E845DF3.jpg
      AE75B325-9472-48C2-94F4-95350E845DF3.jpg
      78.9 KB · Views: 601

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    It came with the 1913 rail installed. I haven't looked at it too carefully, but my guess is they drilled the same sized hole that they would to mount a sling loop. You can do the same thing with a Stormwerks type adapter.

Or get real fancy and replace the entire rear trunnion with one of these:

https://www.jmac-customs.com/mrkt-draco/

I think it's really cool to see American manufacturers building unprecedented modularity into AK pattern rifles. Now you can get the ergonomics and standardized accessories of the AR pattern on the AK.

Another cool rail option for those willing to take a dremel to their AKs:

https://occamdefense.com/merc-freefloat-handguard/

--

Great information lastly, any issues with baffle strikes or was are these barrels already optimized for suppressor use? Could not find definitive answers online.

--

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    --

Great information lastly, any issues with baffle strikes or was are these barrels already optimized for suppressor use? Could not find definitive answers online.

--
    The Dead Air Wolverine is designed to minimize that issue, but I believe the threads are relatively concentric to bore on my exemplar Draco. I put about suppressed 100 rounds through it prior to ordering all the parts, and no issues. I don't do suppressor alignment rods, but the "shine a light in the chamber in a dark room" method (second only to the "look down the barrel" method) shows a nice round circle instead of a partially full moon.

More and more AK suppressor mount devices are coming out that are designed to index off the muzzle face to bypass crappy thread issues (see JMAC Customs x37 muzzle devices), so at this point the issue that remains unsolved is if the bore is relatively perpendicular to muzzle face. The Wolverine is heavy and really fits better aesthetically on a Krink style build, so I may end up doing something like a zpap build and then getting a new lighter can for this Draco. If I did that, I would probably use the JMAC x37 muzzle device to interface with a lighter Omega pattern suppressor to remove some weight from this pig.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Incidentally, the SLR handguard I am using has too much play for a laser or IR aiming device to be mounted. But the gas block rail is extremely solid so one could be mounted from that (or an optic). But what the handguard offers besides that is a low profile way to mount a light, bipod, sling, etc. I like the look of it better than the other options on the market for Dracos.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    The Dead Air Wolverine is designed to minimize that issue, but I believe the threads are relatively concentric to bore on my exemplar Draco. I put about suppressed 100 rounds through it prior to ordering all the parts, and no issues. I don't do suppressor alignment rods, but the "shine a light in the chamber in a dark room" method (second only to the "look down the barrel" method) shows a nice round circle instead of a partially full moon.

More and more AK suppressor mount devices are coming out that are designed to index off the muzzle face to bypass crappy thread issues (see JMAC Customs x37 muzzle devices), so at this point the issue that remains unsolved is if the bore is relatively perpendicular to muzzle face. The Wolverine is heavy and really fits better aesthetically on a Krink style build, so I may end up doing something like a zpap build and then getting a new lighter can for this Draco. If I did that, I would probably use the JMAC x37 muzzle device to interface with a lighter Omega pattern suppressor to remove some weight from this pig.

Have you looked at the Griffen Armament GP7? A direct thread suppressor that was designed to be pinned to the barrel and making it a one stamp firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom