• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis

Apr 18, 2020
    Good day everyone and thanks in advance for any responses. Long time lurker and first time poster. Been a Ruger MKIII and Remington 870 owner for a long time. Use them mostly for target plinking and clay shooting. Never really felt the need for anything more until now. And also never realized how the handgun purchase process has changed until I went to go and buy one. Was expecting the same week wait and was helpfully walked through the get an HQL and come back from my local gun store. I went and got fingerprinted as soon as I could get an appointment and turned in my HQL permit application that night on 3/31. Now I fully realize that I like others am probably still in a queue that is back logged a bit because of everyone applying now. My main question is - Can the MSP take longer than 30 days plus shipping? Like could I expect 45-90 days because of the back log. I check the detailed status daily and no progress. I know a watched pot doesn’t boil. And I’m also not being impatient. Understand that it’s a process, that it’s backlogged, and it’s probably a first in, first out type of system.

Thanks again!
    -Travis

PS - I did search but didn’t turn up much on the maximum time.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Good day everyone and thanks in advance for any responses. Long time lurker and first time poster. Been a Ruger MKIII and Remington 870 owner for a long time. Use them mostly for target plinking and clay shooting. Never really felt the need for anything more until now. And also never realized how the handgun purchase process has changed until I went to go and buy one. Was expecting the same week wait and was helpfully walked through the get an HQL and come back from my local gun store. I went and got fingerprinted as soon as I could get an appointment and turned in my HQL permit application that night on 3/31. Now I fully realize that I like others am probably still in a queue that is back logged a bit because of everyone applying now. My main question is - Can the MSP take longer than 30 days plus shipping? Like could I expect 45-90 days because of the back log. I check the detailed status daily and no progress. I know a watched pot doesn’t boil. And I’m also not being impatient. Understand that it’s a process, that it’s backlogged, and it’s probably a first in, first out type of system.

Thanks again!
    -Travis

PS - I did search but didn’t turn up much on the maximum time.

It takes close to 90 days even without and COVID delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    HQL does not usually take 90 days, I have seen 2-4 week turn around before this craziness. One thing you can do is email the instructor for the HQL course you took to make sure they get notified so they can verifying your training. If you are training exempt, be patient.

TD

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    In my personal experience, my HQL took almost 90 days (maybe 75. Definitely not 14). This was in the middle of last year, well before Covid appeared on the scene. I’ll have to get back to you about the CCW time with COVID. I submitted it recently.

Travis

Apr 18, 2020
    HQL does not usually take 90 days, I have seen 2-4 week turn around before this craziness. One thing you can do is email the instructor for the HQL course you took to make sure they get notified so they can verifying your training. If you are training exempt, be patient.

TD

Sounds good. I went the exempt route because I have a registered handgun. I’ll go back to being patient. Fingers crossed.

Travis

Apr 18, 2020
    In my personal experience, my HQL took almost 90 days (maybe 75. Definitely not 14). This was in the middle of last year, well before Covid appeared on the scene. I’ll have to get back to you about the CCW time with COVID. I submitted it recently.

Dang that’s quite the wait. I’ll keep fingers crossed. Good luck with the CCW

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Try waiting for an NFA item. I bought my suppressor March 20 of last year.

Still waiting. . .

Travis

Apr 18, 2020

Still waiting. . .

Man.. time for me to join MSI and NRA. Somehow we gotta get this stuff fixed. Hopefully I’m not the only person removing my head from my rectum and waking up.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Still waiting. . .

If you would have bought a kit and built one, a E-form 1 would be about 3 weeks.

Sarfs1

Mar 20, 2020
    Slowwwwwww

i requested some info and was advised there is a small crew working there.......

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    An HQL Does not take 90 days.

I’ll say it again but I’ll simplify it some. Also, I’ll type it slower so you can keep up. Added accents to help.

In MY personal experience, MY HQL took almost 90 days. This was in the middle of last year, well before Covid appeared on the scene.

How long did yours take? What was your personal experience? You can say it takes less for some. And perhaps it does. If yours took less then we have two data points for the guy asking the question. If you don’t have experience, you’re only offering an opinion. I’m offering my experience. And MY experience was that it took almost 90 days. So yes, it can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Travis

Apr 18, 2020
    Ok so general consensus is that it takes on average 2-4 weeks. Extenuating circumstances are that on occasion it could take up to 90 days. But in general there is no law or statute that requires the MSP to issue at 30 days.

And thanks to all that have replied and shared their experience.

Last edited:

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I finally broke down and got one last October (2019) and it only took about 10 days.

Travis

Apr 18, 2020
    I read a few of the OTHER threads on the same topic. Same replies, same answers

Thanks Doc. I did see that too with my searches. The only thing I didn’t see is if there is a contingency for MSP must issue after X many days. Sounds like there isn’t unfortunately. I’ll be patient.

Thanks again to all

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I’ll say it again but I’ll simplify it some. Also, I’ll type it slower so you can keep up. Added accents to help.

In MY personal experience, MY HQL took almost 90 days. This was in the middle of last year, well before Covid appeared on the scene.

How long did yours take? What was your personal experience? You can say it takes less for some. And perhaps it does. If yours took less then we have two data points for the guy asking the question. If you don’t have experience, you’re only offering an opinion. I’m offering my experience. And MY experience was that it took almost 90 days. So yes, it can.

You never said that in your original post, maybe if you had, you wouldn't be getting the comments you are. Details matter and you left an awful lot out of your 11 word comment.

My experience was less than a week (free), and your experience, like mine, is just one of how many?

So, if I used you logic to my experience, the answer for the OP would be, it takes less than a week. You see how out of wack with the norm that is (from both of us).

Now, had you made the statement that, that was your experience, in the first place, then maybe you wouldn't have gotten the comments you got.

But my statement still stands, as a rule, the HQL does not take 90 days. Prove me wrong and show me that the 90 days is a normal thing.

As for data points, there is an entire thread on the issue that has over 800 data points, and none of them approach 90 days.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=135888

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

By law, they have to issue or deny within 30 days.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    You never said that in your original post, maybe if you had, you wouldn't be getting the comments you are. Details matter and you left an awful lot out of your 11 word comment.

My experience was less than a week (free), and your experience, like mine, is just one of how many?

So, if I used you logic to my experience, the answer for the OP would be, it takes less than a week. You see how out of wack with the norm that is (from both of us).

Now, had you made the statement that, that was your experience, in the first place, then maybe you wouldn't have gotten the comments you got.

But my statement still stands, as a rule, the HQL does not take 90 days. Prove me wrong and show me that the 90 days is a normal thing.

As for data points, there is an entire thread on the issue that has over 800 data points, and none of them approach 90 days.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=135888

I led with “in my experience”. I can’t imagine how I could be more clear than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom